Page 1 of 2
So there's this thing called the tiny house movement. It's begun to pick up some momentum recently and I believe I'll be joining in.

Quote by The Tiny Life
What are Tiny Houses? The Tiny House Movement? Tiny Living?
Simply put it is a social movement where people are downsizing the space that they live in. The typical American home is around 2600 square feet, while the typical small or tiny house is around 100-400 square feet. Tiny Houses come in all shapes, sizes and forms but they focus on smaller spaces and simplified living.
People are joining this movement for many reasons, but the most popular reasons are because of environmental concerns, financial concerns and seeking more time and freedom. For most Americans 1/3 to 1/2 of their income is dedicated to the roof over their heads; This translates to 15 years of working over your life time just to pay for it and because of it 76% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck.
So what is the alternative? One might be to live smaller. While we don’t think tiny houses are for everyone, there are lessons to be learned and applied to escape the cycle of debt where almost 70% of Americans are trapped in right now.

I've always been a fan of minimalism and living within one's means (minimal debt). This fits the bill pretty well, so I've decided to join the ranks.

My tiny house will fit onto a trailer that I will be able to transport at will. Sort of like a camper, but less cluttered and more homey.

Here's a video of a guy in highschool building his own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXDu2U-CmkI

And here's the link to the site I quoted above:

http://www.thetinylife.com/what-is-the-tiny-house-movement/

As it turns out, my grandfather is retired and now builds and renovates air-streams for a living. My other grandfather is a mechanic who works with tractors and trucks. Both of these backgrounds will prove very useful in my building.

I plan to start mine this coming summer.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
That would probably cost about £60,000 to buy in the UK. ****ing dreadful housing market.
Something I've been following for years. Someone like 20 mins from where I live built something that small, although I don't think it was on a trailer.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
My friend recently bought an old-ish one for £3k and is converting it to a living space.
Works out a lot cheaper than the streaming pile of shit that is the UK housing market.
Quote by captainsnazz
toilets tho

The same ones that are in RV's, and they even have little external tanks and/or connectors to attach to sewage/septic lines that you can get if you aren't moving the place for a while.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
I thought this was just called being poor.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
so in those building plans, how do you get to the bedroom?

i plan on living small regardless, but i don't want to be in an apartment or any kind of mobile home. or in any house that's over ten years old.

so i'd probably build something small.

with a room for guitars and a workshop for plamo, of course.
A dude down the street from me has a tiny house. Quite the normal guy from what I've seen. I'll see if I have a pic of it if not I'll walk down the street to show you guys.

Edit: Had a pic on my phone.
Last edited by fudger at Nov 21, 2013,
Quote by c3powil

Here's a video of a guy in highschool building his own:

I like how at the beginning of this video advocating the virtues of tiny houses, they walk through a quite large and spacious house.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If I'm making money, I'd rather live in a place I can afford instead of pumping my own sewage like an RV or live in a place that can withstand the harsh storms and blizzards here just for the sake of not having a mortgage or rent. Part of having a job is getting to afford a safe and comfortable refuge within your means.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
For most Americans 1/3 to 1/2 of their income is dedicated to the roof over their heads

I don't understand why this is always emphasized so much. Why shouldn't the bulk of your income go towards housing?

And there are tons of small homes that are very affordable. I don't see why they have to be "tiny" and trailer-like.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Last edited by AeroRocker at Nov 21, 2013,
Quote by AeroRocker
I don't understand why this is always emphasized so much. Why shouldn't the bulk of your income go towards housing?

And there are tons of small homes that are very affordable. I don't see why they have to be "tiny" and trailer-like.

Because there are regulations that dictate how many rooms a house must have or how much square footage a house must be in many places, thus they put them on trailers to skirt around these regulations.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I don't consider this a house, how do you sustain a good temperature in such a contraption during a cold season?
I see that video, and I think it's awesome. However, I think I'd have more fun building that, than living in it. I can't build for shit, but if I had someone who knew what he or she was doing, I'd be totally game, it seems like a fun project.

But then again, why not just buy a trailer and live in it?
This SEEMS like a good idea, but pretty much everyone in the thread has already pointed the issues with it (waste, weather, air conditioning, etc). I think I'd rather just buy a small house that costs like 30-50k at most. Some of the coolest people I've met while delivering pizzas live in small houses like that.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by Rawshik
This SEEMS like a good idea, but pretty much everyone in the thread has already pointed the issues with it (waste, weather, air conditioning, etc). I think I'd rather just buy a small house that costs like 30-50k at most. Some of the coolest people I've met while delivering pizzas live in small houses like that.

Where does one buy houses as cheap as that?

You know, without living beside drug dealers?
put it on barrels and use an outboard engine on a lake would be a better place to park and live
I want mine on a trailer because I want it to be mobile. I plan on living in a variety of places.

The waste issue would act much like that of an RV. Small tank with sewage connectors.

My point with this thing is to be VERY minimal. I will have a place to sleep, a desk, a shower, a toilet, small kitchen, and a couch with a desk. I also don't plan on making mine look like a house really. I will just be a box, probably covered by tin roofing. No porch.

Also, I don't understand why people say it would be hard to heat. It's so small and insulated, all you would need is one of those window ac units. A gas or diesel powered generator would more than suffice when no electrical lines are to be found.

Sure, I'd take this thing on trips, but for the most part there are plenty of camping zones that provide sewage and electrical hookups for a pretty small fee on a per month basis.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Nov 21, 2013,
Quote by Rawshik

I've never seen a house that cheap
I lived in a tiny trailer for 8 months at a drop zone in Florida, it was excellent. I have no issues with that type of living. You're free and surrounded with space anyways. I'd do it again for sure!

They only charged us for power, like $50 a month. I guess the $1000+ a month I spent jumping satisfied them.
Last edited by Tempoe at Nov 21, 2013,
Tiny house sounds so idyllic. I don't think I could live in a glorified caravan.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by AeroRocker

this pretty much. debt, especially a mortgage, isnt even an intrinsically bad thing. just know how to manage your payments and you'd be fine
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by progdude93
Try bringing a non-hipster girl back to your "house" and see what they say..

"Sure, I'll suck your dick in a tiny house."
Quote by darkcheef
I've never seen a house that cheap

Where do you live? There's plenty of houses that cheap.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Its kind of cool, but not really at the same time.

Id rather not be cramped up at home. My apartment is small enough as it is.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Page 1 of 2