So I have this theory that since flatwounds don't have the winding humps on the low three strings there will be less sliding string noise, anyone care to confirm? I've never had to opportunity to play flatwounds to give it a test. Also does anyone actually use flatwounds for high gain.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Yes, there is much less sliding noise from flatwounds, but I'm not convinced they'd work very well for metal.

I use them on my guitars that I use strictly for clean tones. as soon as I dial in anything more than very subtle distortion they tend to lose their clarity and end up sounding a bit flat (no pun intended) and dull to me. Also they usually come packaged a wound 3rd string which will probably really hold you back if you're playing lead stuff that requires a lot of string bending because wound 3rd strings just aren't very bend-friendly (even if you're drop-tuned)

Still, it might be worth it for you to try them - they might work for you, they might not.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^Agreed. I've used them, but only for jazz. They sound dull even clean, and get muddier and duller with distortion. They will probably sound awful for metal. Plus, bending becomes more difficult so that's probably not optimal.

Try it out if you like, but I'd be very surprised if it worked for you. We get threads like this fairly often because people seem really interested in flats when they hear about them, but I don't think we've ever had anyone come back and say they loved them and are switching. There's a reason they're not very popular.
Flatwound strings sound very dull and warm compared to regular strings. Whenever I bought my #2 guitar (used) the guy strung it up with flatwounds before I took it. They were only on there about 4 days before I changed them.

Flatwounds have their place, but it isn't high gain. There's a reason you don't see any metal bands with 'em
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Aside from the dullness, wound G strings have wire in it that's tremndously thin. I use Blue Steel 11-52s and they come with a wound and non-wound G string. I broke the non-wound one once and used the wound one because I had no other spares handy. It broke almost immediately.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Almost all guitar tones you've heard are from regular strings. Do you hate any of them guitar sounds?

It's a technique thing, which should be easily learned within a few months.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??