I searched and couldn't find a solution with my question, so here it goes:

I have a Fender Jazzmaster project complete basically; Blacktop body and neck I bought cheap, vintage style pickguard and 62' neck and bridge pickups.

Since I'm new at installing pickups I spent a little cash and got a prewired electronics set up, pots and input etc all prewired. The only thing was wiring the pickups in.

It came with a schematic to wear the one pickup wire goes each, but for the ground wire it just says "solder to brass" or something to that effect, but the drawing shows each black wire being grounded slightly away from each pickup itself.

So, what am I soldering the black wires to per pickup? I've read straight to volume pot, and I've read straight to the shielding if copper. I have yet to shield the pickguard or body cavity yet but when I do, should I solder the joints right to the shielding? If so, to the body shielding or pickguard?

The only experience I've had before was swapping Ibanez pickups straight into another Ibanez but I just copied what was already done, don't remember where the grounds lead to.

Thanks!
In most cases all the grounds should go to the back of the volume pot. Don't forget your ground from the bridge.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by GOLDIE93
In most cases all the grounds should go to the back of the volume pot. Don't forget your ground from the bridge.

I'm pretty sure the bridge had a ground already soldered to the body before I put anything together.

But out of curiosity just so I know..can you solder the pickup grounds right to the shielding, either on the pickguard or body? If so, would it effect the tone at all? I'll probably play it safe and solder to the volume pots anyway but I'd just like to know the do's and don'ts and differences. Thanks a lot.
I've personally never seen grounds going to shielding. Any guitar I have ever looked at (around 20) have always been grounded to the pot. So I can't really answer that question. Give it a try if you really feel like it. I would imagine you would have to run all your grounds to there including your jack and bridge ground. plus all your pots would need to be grounded.

What I was saying about the bridge ground, is that it is meant to ground the bridge to the back of the volume pot. If it is a tremolo bridge, it should go from the trem claw to the pot.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
I'm going to just keep it consistent and ground them to the volume pot. I'll try and figure out the bridge ground situation.