Hi all,
I've been an occasional lurker for a little while now, but finally made an account to join some discussions and ask a few questions.

What I'm really interested in is getting into looping. I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 2 years now and love it, and really want a looper pedal. I like what I've seen in the Digitech Jamman Express XT, but not really sure how to go about getting it all set up.

It looks like I'll need a mic and a PA, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a cheap but worthy set up. I won't be doing any gigs or anything like that, just for playing around and jamming with friends. Would it also be worth it to skip the PA and run the pedal into my lap top, and use the headphone jack as the output?

Thanks guys, any insight is much appreciated.
Keyboard amp will work. There are some cheap small practice amps with a flat response setting for acoustic. Or you could get an amp specifically for acoustic guitars. If your acoustic has no pickup then a mic is necessary.
Yeah no pick ups, it's an epiphone hummingbird artist. Thanks for the keyboard amp idea, I may look into that
Quote by Kdunbar619
What I'm really interested in is getting into looping. I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 2 years now and love it, and really want a looper pedal. I like what I've seen in the Digitech Jamman Express XT, but not really sure how to go about getting it all set up.

It looks like I'll need a mic and a PA, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a cheap but worthy set up. I won't be doing any gigs or anything like that, just for playing around and jamming with friends. Would it also be worth it to skip the PA and run the pedal into my lap top, and use the headphone jack as the output?

there are a number of options available to you. fly's keyboard amp idea is very viable, plus you can find them pretty cheap in the used market.

you can also go with a small PA (i got a little 200 watt with two 1x10 cabs for like 300 or so) or a powered monitor or two (they are powered 1x10 or 1x12 cabs).

you could also just run it into a mixer/computer/computer interface and monitor it with headphones (doesn't look like it can power headphones directly from the pedal).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
This is how I do it:

I have my guitar and a microphone in front of it. I like the sensitivity of an SM57 but those cost 100 bucks. I also have an Alesis mixer. I plug the mic into the mixer, and use the headphone output to plug into my looper. The headphone output is your standard 1/4" instrument cable.
I have an Acoustic AG30 amplifier. They're meant for acoustic guitars. I think it sounds great, gets decently loud, and has two XLR/1/4" inputs.

So, doing the math:
Microphone: could be like $50 if you get a Shure PG48 (not that bad)
Amp: $200
Mixer: $50, you can get a 1-input mixer or more, but you'll have to pay more if you want more input.

If I can make a recommendation to save you some money, get an external acoustic pickup. You can get decent ones for less than $100, and it'll save you the trouble of buying a microphone, mic stand, and mixer. You can just plug straight into the looper!
I would recommend that way ^
It's much easier, less cables, and it'll cost you less!
However, you still have to buy an amp
Thanks Sunshine! I never really thought about getting an external pickup, but after exploring that option a little I've found a few inexpensive ones with decent reviews. I actually have a small Fender amp from an old electric guitar that still sounds pretty decent. That'll save me a ton of money. Thanks again