Hey all, I recently upgraded my pedal to a POD HD500X and can finally get much closer to reproducing classic maiden tones. Adrian's solo (second one) is made-up using some of the live version notes/feel, so I hope I don't offend any Maiden fans with it Hope you enjoy this short and rough cover and any suggestions or critiques are always welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AWZNAhrefU
Last edited by MaverickTR at Nov 22, 2013,
I'm getting the exact same pod hd500x myself in the next couple months. Just spent a grand on a tattoo unfortunately, but it's the next thing on my buy list. It's a ****ing killer amp modeller. Pretty much the next best thing to an axe fx 2. Good playing too. I'm not actually familiar with the solo because I'm not a big maiden fan but it sounded spot on.
Quote by ThoriumEx
ohhhh that was niceee!!
Awesome! Really tight! You nailed it!
btw, why you dont record directly with the pod?

Thanks for kind words I personally don't like the muddy dynamics (almost submerged in water) type sound of a direct recording. For me even a simple camera mic captures the way the guitar sound disperses from a cab in a more authentic way than the cab simulations from the POD. It's not ideal but I study away from home and do not have access to any mics right now.
WOW!!!! dude that was brilliant. Those trills at around 0:33 are they the result of some custom pickups? or is it some efffect or is it just ur technique? im impressed like hell.

Btw why dont you the pods usb audio interface for recording?

C4C: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1629625

I used a pod hd500 for this one.
Last edited by danyal92 at Jan 9, 2014,
Quote by danyal92
Those trills at around 0:33 are they the result of some custom pickups? or is it some efffect or is it just ur technique?

It's Dave's technique of trilling that I explained before that uses the left hand only . Of course you need quite a bit of gain to do it well, but the main concept is to trill and on the last note hammer on/off with the trilling finger and slide down with the root note finger to the adjacent trill. Also, the wah pedal helps to add definition to the trills, making them pop out more.

Quote by danyal92
Btw why dont you the pods usb audio interface for recording?

I did actually use it on my song Sailing on the Rifts of Time, but it takes a lot of work to get the heavily distorted guitars to sound nice and "airy". I prefer recording a mic'ed up guitar any day, but in this video I was abroad (for studies) so I didn't have access to my mic set-up. To be honest though, technology has advanced a lot and the POD HD series already sounds much more authentic than the old RP 255 that I used to record with. In the future, I'm going to experiment with a DI type rig, where I use the POD HD500X to record direct to my computer, then use the POD once again to play-back the recorded audio through my amp set-up, and mic it up post recording. This would take a lot of stress out of recording songs with many tracks, and at least for me make it a faster process than purely mic'ing every track during the recording process.