Let's not be politically correct and lets not lead to a flame war. I'm looking to buy a new guitar. I just saw in America Gibson 2013 Standards price slashed to about 1,900.00 which I can afford next month. I was genuinely saving for a Custom 22 which is still 3,200.00

I've played Gibson's in store. I love the sound. However, I have only played PRS B Stock in store and love the sound as well. I can't get my hands on a Custom 22.

I'm genuinely not starting a flame war. But, but in popular musical opinion--remember popular music opinion-- is PRS now considered better than Gibson? What is the history of Gibson prices? Did they just raise the price in 2013 and now that the year is over slash it? Is this what Gibson's usually cost? Should I still save up for the PRS?

Thanks for any honest well thought out replies
No.

Just different.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
No.

Just different.

I half agree, as a whole, USA made PRS have better QC than Gibson that is a fact
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Not really, half the Gibson range isnt comparable with PRS. Its not even aimed at competing with them.

Gibsons and PRS of similar money and up are all comparable in my experience.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Not really, half the Gibson range isnt comparable with PRS. Its not even aimed at competing with them.

Gibsons and PRS of similar money and up are all comparable in my experience.

Yes that is true, that is why I said I 1/2 agree with you. but as a whole PRS is the better company QC wise.

But I agree when your comparing a $2000+ Gibson to a $2000+ PRS it is personal preference
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I just decided to get the Gibson. It's a temporary sale...I believe...unless that becomes the permanent price in the states.

To be honest when it was around 2,500.00 I was going to save a little bit more for the Custom 22...now that it is so affordable I'll just buy it tomorrow...
Get whichever you really want, because you'll end up getting whichever one you really want anyway. If you get the one you're not as excited about, you'll probably buy the other one later.
gibsons all the way cant stand those gaudy flametops on those prs guitars. buy a vintage guitar if you have that much money to spend
www.hostwerks.com/
~dave/images/rn01.jpg
Whichever you choose just f****** play it, gear comparisons do become slightly tiresome, if you play well both guitars will shine in your hands, end of.
The guy in the middle has a G&L, doesn't he?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by gregs1020

This caused my beliefs to completely stay exactly the same regarding the arguments between brands.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Personally I prefer PRS's but thats because I like double cutaways.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The guy in the middle has a G&L, doesn't he?

Yes he does, and he's currently staring at a Godin Progression.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I think most professional guitarists tend to favour PRS because they've made more modern optimizations. That's just been the perception I've received from the various videos I've seen of pro guitarists talking about different guitar brands. Gibson's are not worth the money but they're collectors so you don't automatically lose half the value of the instrument once it's taken off the shop floor. So I guess in that respect they're an investment which is something most other guitar brands cannot contend to being.
Last edited by kingking22 at Nov 22, 2013,
Quote by JustRooster

pretty sure that's leo fender.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
There's no better or worse. Both make high quality guitars and the rest depends on taste.

Basicly PRS are modernised gibsons les pauls which makes them (imo) more playable, lighter, more ergonomic and more flexible BUT that ofcourse has an impact on the sound. You lose some wood to make it lighter, you often get a trem instead of a hardtail and you get a thinner neck. All of this influences tone and make it so that a PRS will never sound as heavy as a Gibson les paul (ecept the McCarty that comes really close).
My local luthier loves how PRS's play but can't get used to the fact they don't sound as "full" and "heavy" as an original gibson les paul.

I personally prefer PRS though, I haven't played any guitar apart from PRS's with HFS pickups that roar like i want them to. They have a nice balanced sound, are confortable guitars and can do almost anything you want them to do. And honestly, i have played gibsons i didn't like. But i have never played a PRS that i didn't like (apart from one badly set up prs at a shop). They have great quality control and use the best woods you can find.
Quote by JustRooster

...or a Freeway, Passion, xtSA? Maybe a 5th Avenue?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If you had your heart set on the PRS, you won't be satisfied with the Gibson. But since you haven't played the PRS you are wanting, that needs to be your first order of business. This is a significant investment. Get what is right for you. A year from now what you paid will be of no consequence, but the guitar you have will. As far as which is better,... depends on who you ask. They are both professional grade instruments that are made to last a lifetime.