Really this should be "New Guitar Day" or "New Pedal Day", but rather than make a separate thread for both on different subsections of forum, I'll shove 'em both in one. Photos were taken with iPhone 4S, so apologies to poor picture quality, doesn't do the guitar justice.

First up is an 8-string ESP LTD H-308.

Its satin (or matte) black finish is amazing to look at, I did not expect it to look as great as it does and the picture doesn't show justice at all. To my surprise, it has a sort of dark abalone binding on the edge. Not quite sure what it is and I don't recall anything about it on the website, but it looks pretty and isn't over the top at all.

It's a 25.5" scale so on the short side for an 8-string. I didn't fancy a 26.5 or 27 as I knew I wanted to be using a 90 gauge string for the thickest string and thought it may be too tight for anything over 25.5. I'm also more comfortable with this scale length and is much more important than the string gauge thing.

Everything about this guitar plays well. It was set-up well from the shop, despite being in storage for over a week because the delivery company messed up somewhere meaning I got it a week late. Not sure what to think of the EMG 808s. Haven't had a guitar with EMGs before, and I don't know how to compare them to the passives in my 6 string guitars.

Now onto my user error. I ordered a 9-46 set, 60 single and 90 single to string this guitar up with. What I didn't realise is that the 90 gauge would taper off after about 30 or so inches. This meant I had to improvise with a spare acoustic bridge stud.

Nevertheless, it works absolutely fine, and the sustain seems better than whatever was on it before, I'm guessing was a 72 gauge perhaps.

Now onto the pedal. It's a Boss DD-20 I picked up off of eBay. Great little pedal. I can't not use it now. It's my first delay pedal so I wasn't too bothered with the whole analog>digital thing, when it has an analog mode if I need that sound. With my Boss footswitch (latching modded to unlatching momentary because I bought the wrong one) it works superbly for any delay needs.

And finally, a little clip I recorded and spent almost no time mixing. Nothing special, but just to show off the Tape and Smooth modes in the delay. Chorus and Flanger was used too.

http://soundcloud.com/nate-o-stephenson/8-string-dd-20-test-clip
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Nice! I can't even play on a 7. Don't even want to know how bad ill sound on an 8.

Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Sweet!

Enjoy your new bass guitar!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Cheers guys

Quote by cdr_salamander
Nice! I can't even play on a 7. Don't even want to know how bad ill sound on an 8.

I had only played one 8 string before this, and a 7 as well in shops. I struggled to comprehend them back then but after seeing various 8 string players use them it came very natural to me.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Damn I gotta try an 8 string somewhere...

I once played a 7 string in a shop but it felt awful.
It had strings lighter than the ones I keep on my 6 string.
Aaaagh...

Happy NGD brother, and good for your heavy-as-**** strings
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^^ Thanks Dave

Quote by Spambot_2
Damn I gotta try an 8 string somewhere...

I once played a 7 string in a shop but it felt awful.
It had strings lighter than the ones I keep on my 6 string.
Aaaagh...

Happy NGD brother, and good for your heavy-as-**** strings

Haha I know what you mean. Before changing the strings, the 8th string seemed to have best tension when tuned up to a B, it was so loose at F# and unplayable down to the E.

My strings at the moment aren't actually that heavy when you consider the short scale (for an 8) and the fact that a 90 at E1 has roughly the same tension as a 46 at E2. Me thinks there's some physics that means double the gauge means octave down results in same tension. Maybe that's coincidence.