I'm sure this question might have been asked before but i don't really care i would just like some input from those who know more on the subject than i

i'm looking at upgrading my amp. I've got a Line 6 spider IV 75w now. I like the look of mini stacks a lot and was wondering whats the best one out there for me. I play most all metal such as all that all that remains trivium and Black Label society but would like a good blues sound every once in a while.

some amps that have caught my attention are the backstair HT-5 mini stack and KRANK rev jr. are there any other tube mini stack sim missing how do these work for metal and are there any other y'all suggest??
Mini stacks are just a lame gimmick. You just get two boxy-sounding little cabinets with two crappy speakers. You’re better off buying a good used 2x12.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Mesa Mini Dual Rectifier

or

EVH 5150 III 50w Mini

It's just Mesa Mini Rectifier, no Dual. I almost just got one, but I think the guy on craigslist was trying to scam me so I passed on the deal.

The ENGL Ironball + 212 cab is also a good choice.
just to clarify, the ht5 is hybrid, not all-tube. I think the krank is all-tube ok, but they've stopped trading so it might be difficult to find one.

i tend to agree with jpnyc, for higher gain tones low wattage doesn't make all that much sense to me. i could be wrong and that's just my opinion anyway, but there you have it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Krank Jr series is very overlooked. I have the 1980 Jr (20watt), it is a great amp. I use it for band practice so I don't have to carry a 60lbs marshall head around. Used the Jr series runs $300-$400 that is great for a MIA amp.

The Rev Jr Pro is on my short list of amps to get this coming up year.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Orange Jim Root terror?

Or Blackheart BH15H with some serious boost if you're more on the cheap.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Im not at all aganist a tube combo what would you suggest there? I just think the mini stacks look badass My budget is as low a price as possible like like 600 or so
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Krank Jr series is very overlooked. I have the 1980 Jr (20watt), it is a great amp. I use it for band practice so I don't have to carry a 60lbs marshall head around. Used the Jr series runs $300-$400 that is great for a MIA amp.

The Rev Jr Pro is on my short list of amps to get this coming up year.

This is exactly what I was going to post, but swap the Rev jr for the Krankenstein.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
So. Is the general consensus the KRANK?? Or is there a better tube combo??
Quote by rmcc5017
So. Is the general consensus the KRANK?? Or is there a better tube combo??

Yeah for the price used, they are hard to beat
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Don’t buy Krank. The company went under and the only source for some parts is some former employees. If that amp breaks you might not be able to get it fixed.
Quote by jpnyc
Don’t buy Krank. The company went under and the only source for some parts is some former employees. If that amp breaks you might not be able to get it fixed.

Don't post when you have no idea what your talking about. Tony Krank bought back the rights to Krank, has spare parts and will service every Krank amp.

Read about it here www.krankamps.com
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by rmcc5017
Im not at all aganist a tube combo what would you suggest there? I just think the mini stacks look badass My budget is as low a price as possible like like 600 or so

Look at the Jetcity JC22c. Cleans aren't the greatest but I can get a good bluesy drive from the clean/crunch channel and the Distortion channel has a good amount of gain for most any metal.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Don't post when you have no idea what your talking about. Tony Krank bought back the rights to Krank, has spare parts and will service every Krank amp.

Read about it here www.krankamps.com

Dude, what he said is still true. Are they former employees? damn right they are. Are they selling spare parts from new old stock? **** yes.

I think it is too much of a hassle to get an amp that may or may not be serviceable in the near future, if he can just buy one that has a way higher chance of survival.
Quote by MG_Sora
Dude, what he said is still true. Are they former employees? damn right they are. Are they selling spare parts from new old stock? **** yes.

I think it is too much of a hassle to get an amp that may or may not be serviceable in the near future, if he can just buy one that has a way higher chance of survival.

It is the former owner and chief designer, to me that is a bit different. This means he can and will service any of the Krank amps, read the web page.

If TS does not like them that is fine, but to say they are not serviceable or parts are not available is completely wrong.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well. All in all I ended up with both a krank rev jr. And a blackstar HT5. In My honest opinion the black star needs an overdrive but it blows the KRANK away as far as gain goes
Last edited by rmcc5017 at Dec 1, 2013,
Quote by MG_Sora

If it isn't under warranty who gives a ****? Any tube amp is serviceable, it doesn't have to go back to the factory. What parts do you think won't be able to replaced in say, 10 years time?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by rmcc5017
Well. All in all I ended up with both a krank rev jr. And a blackstar HT5. In My honest opinion the black star needs an overdrive but it blows the KRANK away as far as gain goes

Pic's and a NAD thread. I much prefer the Kranks gain to the BS but different strokes for different folks

What about the Rev Jr did you not like? I have the 1980 Jr and it is a great amp, not a brutal amp, but a good mid/high gain amp. I had a Rev (original version) and I was not to thrilled with it at the time.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What about the Krank did you not like? The HT sounds to processed to me.

I don't understand how you prefer the HT over the Jr series at all
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I dont know man for some reason i just like the HT5 more , its gotta have an overdrive on it for sure though. The KRANK does sound great too though
The only thing I thought the HT5 sounded decent at was slide with a tele. Apart from that I didn't like it at all.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification