Keep the money hidden away in the bank
13 25%
Ask my mum if I can keep the money and risk not having it
33 62%
Burn the cheque and pretend it never existed
7 13%
Voters: 53.
Page 1 of 2
So, my parents paid £50 to the DVLA for my driving licence for my 18th birthday. After over a year of waiting they said that I'm mentally unfit to drive and gave me a cheque for the £50. I'm trying to decide whether to keep this or give it to my mum.

The way I see it, it was effectively given to me as a birthday present anyway and I really want to actually be able to afford to buy my whole family christmas presents for the first time in my life, seeing as I'm 19 and it looks really pathetic if I open presents and don't actually give any.

On the other hand, I could say this to my mother and perhaps she'll let me keep the money anyway - my only worry is that she might use her whole "you'll just waste it on drugs!" excuse like she does when I ask for even £1 for printer credit at college.

So basically, I have a choice between keeping the money silently or asking my mum if I can keep the money and potentially lose the money, simultaneously resulting in absolutely no presents from my family for my 18th birthday. What would you pick?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Last edited by metallicafan616 at Nov 22, 2013,
I think if you actually do get them Christmas presents, that could potentially help your family relationship more than the other options.
dude sup

solution: spend money on drugs, never speak of it again
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Nov 22, 2013,
Buying christmas presents sounds like a good use of it, but will they ask you where you got the money to buy presents?
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Does the TS have epilepsy?
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Let me rephrase that for you:

"Should I steal this money, and try and justify it by saying that I'll use it to buy Xmas presents for my family (which I probably won't, I've got such a track record that my parents are suspicious of giving me change), as if that makes the theft acceptable?"

Also, don't you think your paernts might be slightly suspicious since you don't have a driving licence?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Buy some drugs for your parents
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by metacarpi

"Should I steal this money, and try and justify it by saying that I'll use it to buy Xmas presents for my family (which I probably won't, I've got such a track record that my parents are suspicious of giving me change), as if that makes the theft acceptable?"

Also, don't you think your paernts might be slightly suspicious since you don't have a driving licence?

hey man, it was a birthday present

chillax
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
hey man, it was a birthday present

chillax

The Driving Licence was the gift, not the £50.

Since the Driving Licence isn't happening, the money should be returned to his parents. Do you really think they wont use it in some way to get him a different gift for his 18th?
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Last edited by metacarpi at Nov 22, 2013,
Quote by metallicafan616
So, my parents paid £50 to the DVLA for my driving licence for my 18th birthday. After over a year of waiting they said that I'm mentally unfit to drive and gave me a cheque for the £50. I'm trying to decide whether to keep this or give it to my mum.

The way I see it, it was effectively given to me as a birthday present anyway and I really want to actually be able to afford to buy my whole family christmas presents for the first time in my life, seeing as I'm 19 and it looks really pathetic if I open presents and don't actually give any.

On the other hand, I could say this to my mother and perhaps she'll let me keep the money anyway - my only worry is that she might use her whole "you'll just waste it on drugs!" excuse like she does when I ask for even £1 for printer credit at college.

So basically, I have a choice between keeping the money silently or asking my mum if I can keep the money and potentially lose the money, simultaneously resulting in absolutely no presents from my family for my 18th birthday. What would you pick?

... is there a connection here?

also, just come to Canada. We'll give you a drivers license even if you're blind, have the mental capacity of a 2 year old, don't understand a word of english or french, and are otherwise completely illiterate.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Nov 22, 2013,
Mentally unfit??? WTF??!!
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Save the money and use it towards buying a new car.

You don't need a stupid license, aanyways. All you need is gas money.
Quote by NHECOS

He even needs advice about what to do with that money.
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

also, just come to Canada. We'll give you a drivers license even if you're blind, have the mental capacity of a 2 year old, and are otherwise completely illiterate.

source: i have one
Quote by macaroni
Why can't you get a licence?

he has a rare but debilitating disorder where pressing a throttle makes him spontaneously ejaculate. adverse effects, depending on the duration of pressing said throttle, include infertility and shrunken balls due to lack of reserved sperm, abnormal testosterone levels, along with sticky, sopping wet pants, and unwanted adhesion to objects such as seats, steering wheels, and table lamps.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

also, just come to Canada. We'll give you a drivers license even if you're blind, have the mental capacity of a 2 year old, don't understand a word of english or french, and are otherwise completely illiterate.
;_;7 Where freedom reigns...

TS you don't need a license to drive; just don't get caught. Also, I dunno, try getting a job to buy presents.
Yeah, don't be a dick. Give it back.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by metacarpi
The Driving Licence was the gift, not the £50.

Since the Driving Licence isn't happening, the money should be returned to his parents. Do you really think they wont use it in some way to get him a different gift for his 18th?

I agree.

Think of it this way: Someone gives you a car. They're just a good friend of yours and they bought a new one, know you don't have one, so they give you a nice working car.

How big of a dick would you have to be to sell that, and not tell them?

Price isn't the issue. They gave you a gift of a thing, not the cost of the thing. Clearly you have terrible spending habits anyways, and can't handle even a dollar.

If you're that much of a douche and keep it, you may as well use it to better yourself or benefit them somehow, atleast. Buy a gym membership or buy them gifts.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

you don't need to feel bad about not getting your family christmas presents until you're working...
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Use the money to buy christrmas presents, your mom wont see it as "wasted on drugs"
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
The best thing to do is to give it back and see how your Mum reacts, I'm 99.9% sure that'll the reaction will be better than if you just cash the check in.
The DVLA refunded you a year after the fact because you've been deemed mentally unfit?

Hmm. I've not got a car at the moment. Could do with getting me some of that...

EDIT: Also moaning that you won't have had a present a more than year after said birthday is pretty pathetic. It should always be about the thought, not about cashing in presents to get free stuff, and £50 for a driver's license is a pretty awesome thought. Get some perspective.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Last edited by RAB11 at Nov 22, 2013,
You're gonna have to let em know sometime why you're still not driving. Buying christmas gifts and then explaining later sounds fun, but I think you should go ahead and tell them about it now and ask if you can use it to buy presents.
Quote by NHECOS

Quote by metacarpi

You can both go fuck yourselves, assholes. Was there any reason to be so rude to someone you haven't even met? Oh, well I guess you must personally know him yourself metacarpi, seeing as you seem to know the situation better than he does himself. Go to hell.

Mentally unfit. lulz.

The last option of the poll makes no sense.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Mentally unfit to drive?

Is that a common thing in the US or are you just craycray?
Everyone is beside the point.

Get a job ffs!
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Mel Gibson is allowed to drive. Just think of it. Mel ****ing Gibson. You should feel bad.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by metacarpi

Was gonna say this.
Quote by AJScott
Mentally unfit to drive?

Is that a common thing in the US or are you just craycray?

OP's location says Hampshire, England and you assume he's from the US. good job
Quote by The4thHorsemen
OP's location says Hampshire, England and you assume he's from the US. good job

Everyone on the internet is from the US.
Quote by Baby Joel
I think if you actually do get them Christmas presents, that could potentially help your family relationship more than the other options.

Thats what I thought. Having read the responses from people I think the best option is to tell her it got refunded, explain my reasoning and hope I get to keep it to buy everyone presents.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
... is there a connection here?

Yeah, I used drugs to cope with my depression, and somehow my depression is reason enough not to drive, which I really don't understand. And for the record to the people talking to me like some kind of junkie, I only smoked weed and I haven't smoked any in three months as I'm quitting to get my head straight...my mum's just really OTT about it

Quote by Dregen
he has a rare but debilitating disorder where pressing a throttle makes him spontaneously ejaculate. adverse effects, depending on the duration of pressing said throttle, include infertility and shrunken balls due to lack of reserved sperm, abnormal testosterone levels, along with sticky, sopping wet pants, and unwanted adhesion to objects such as seats, steering wheels, and table lamps.

Thats the best thing I've read in the pit in a very long time!

Just go get your license. It's not that difficult and quite useful. My friend moved to the UK and had no problems getting his. Spend the 50 pounds on the license. It's worth it. For clarification, who decided you were unfit to drive? If you absolutely insist on not getting the license, ask your parents if it's okay that you keep the check.
Last edited by zackk at Nov 22, 2013,
I wish I had 50 bucks for every mentally incompetent driver I saw every day.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
You can both go fuck yourselves, assholes. Was there any reason to be so rude to someone you haven't even met? Oh, well I guess you must personally know him yourself metacarpi, seeing as you seem to know the situation better than he does himself. Go to hell.

Being as you're making the same assumptions from the other side of the fence:

Oh, well I guess you must personally know him yourself SaintsofNowhere, seeing as you seem to know the situation better than he does himself.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by zackk
Just go get your license. It's not that difficult and quite useful. My friend moved to the UK and had no problems getting his. Spend the 50 pounds on the license. It's worth it. For clarification, who decided you were unfit to drive? If you absolutely insist on not getting the license, ask your parents if it's okay that you keep the check.

I wanted the license, the DVLA wrote to my doctor for a medical examination and it was my doctor who said that I'm mentally unfit to drive...well, it wasn't an examination as such, they basically just asked my doctor if I should be allowed to drive and he said no because I refuse to go to therapy. Which is on the basis that I genuinely feel better without having someone tell me once a week that I'm depressed, socially incompetent, drug dependant and addicted to self mutilation - now that I don't go to therapy I'm only the first two things, which is at least a step in the right direction.

Page 1 of 2