I was wondering what exactly a writer on a song does. I always figured that to be the sole writer on a song, you just had to be the one that laid out the structure of a song and allowed the band members to fill in their respective parts to mesh with your structure. But to be the sole writer, do you have to write for every single instrument?

Also, a Justin Timberlake song came on the TV a minute ago and I was wondering whether he writes his own music so I check and there's a producer to the song, and in pop music, the producer is generally the one that makes the beat (aka the structure of the song), and then there were four to five "writers". I was thinking, literally the only thing these guys can possibly work on is the melody of the lyrics and the lyrics. So what do four guys do exactly when all they can work on is lyrics-related?
I watched a program on it some time ago, they were saying that if someone was standing in the room and contributed a line they could be marked down as a writer.

Also there are a few companies that write song lyrics and sell them, often they get a verses and a chorus from several writers and put it together, hence the several writers.
Last edited by Malchius at Nov 22, 2013,
Quote by captainsnazz
cringe

Timbaland was the producer on the song, and he made the beat.
Quote by Milan999
The jokes are both hilarious and unexpected, fellas. 9/10.

Our next hit is going to be Intro-Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Repeat Chorus-Solo-Chorus. Now pay me.
We're all alright!
Quote by Mathedes
Our next hit is going to be Intro-Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Repeat Chorus-Solo-Chorus. Now pay me.

I'll have you served for copyright infringement if you even preform it without my direct consent in writing because one of my songs vaguely resembles that song structure.
Songwriters song.
Physicists physics.
Philosophers masturbate.
It's all written clearly on the wall, TS.
when you sample music you have to include the writers of the original song, though i dont know the cut-off for it
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ