Hey guys, recently I have been thinking about selling my DL4 for a DD20. The DL4 has been a good pedal to me, it's just that I don't even use it anymore (it just sits in my room gathering dust). If I do sell it, I was just going to use the money to buy another digital delay. I've notice that some of bands I like (Dads and TWIABP) have been using a DD20 and El Capistan (which I own) for their main delays.

Is the DD20 an "upgrade" from the DL4? Would I be better off selling the DL4 and look into something else? Any other advice? Thank you.
I recently got a DD20 as my first delay, there's a thread on it if you care to look. As far as I can see, they'll do the same things and are pretty reasonable competitors for the same price point.

If you stopped using your DL4 because you haven't got a lot of use for one, then I wouldn't bother getting a DD20 afterwards. However, if you stopped using it because you're not fond of the tone of the sounds then you probably want to look more boutique than a DD20.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I feel like a lot of what you can do with a DD20 can be done with a DL4, on top of some really weird stuff the DL4 can conjure up. Even so, if you're not meshing with your gear, then there's not much to counteract that

I would fire the thing up again and see what it does for you now, and then try some other delays in a store if you can.
Honestly, the feel and sound of the DL4 and DD-20 is very different. I much prefer the DD-20 when it comes to delays. I've owned a good handful of each of them over the last 5 years. I can't really explain what I mean between the differences. It's kind of hard to word. But the DD-20 just feels like you are adding delay to your sound than adding a whole pedal's tone and delay to your sound. If that makes sense. Not to say the DD-20 doesn't color your tone a bit, I'm sure it does a bi, but I think it does so a lot less than the DL4.

I say do it man. The El Cap/DD-20 combo is near perfect.
the DL4 is favorable if you want to emulate analog delays and have access to colorful delays. i didn't like it because i found it quiet and didn't like the emulations.

the DD-20 kinda left me flat (i actually like the dd-7 better and that is what i use), especially on the longer delay settings. i didn't really like it probably because i was expecting so much from the pedal and it didn't live up to my expectations

both are adequate at looping, but i'd rather have a dedicated looper.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Why don't you like the DL4?

The boss is pretty much a direct competitor, in the same price range. I wouldn't call it much of an upgrade.
RIP Gooze

cats
I'd get mods done if I got a DL4.
Marching in this labyrinth village
Troll-king claims his maverick throne
Wretching in his cavernous castle
Chewing on flesh, gnawing on bones!
The DL4 is being discontinued IIRC, might want to factor that into your decision FWIW.
Quote by Lavatain
If you stopped using your DL4 because you haven't got a lot of use for one, then I wouldn't bother getting a DD20 afterwards. However, if you stopped using it because you're not fond of the tone of the sounds then you probably want to look more boutique than a DD20.

If this is you, buy a DD7 or a TC Electronics Flashback...
If not, and you're "searching for more," just pony up for a Strymon Timeline. I've ditched a DD20, DL4, DD5 and a Flashback and I've never looked back, even though I sometimes miss the Tone-Print of the Flashback. But, with the Timeline, I have just as much tweak-ability and options onboard.
Awesome!
Quote by sheaaa
If this is you, buy a DD7 or a TC Electronics Flashback...
If not, and you're "searching for more," just pony up for a Strymon Timeline. I've ditched a DD20, DL4, DD5 and a Flashback and I've never looked back, even though I sometimes miss the Tone-Print of the Flashback. But, with the Timeline, I have just as much tweak-ability and options onboard.

I would get a Timeline if I had the money to throw around (I almost got one last year but I ended up getting the El Capistan because I would mainly use tape sounds). I want the DD20 cause I see a lot of the bands I like using a DD20/El Capistan combo and plus I've been seeing the DD20 coming back onto a lot of post rock/worship boards (at least according to what I see on Instagram). Thought I'd give the combo a shot.