I've been playing a while and I play a lot of pentatonic stuff.
Right now I'm working on stairway to heaven's solo at a really slow BPM and after about 20 minutes my fingers on my fret hand and the back of my frethand itself are getting sore.

Is this normal and maybe just because I'm not used to bending this often? (It's that last part that kills me)

Should i be worried?
Last edited by RyanMW2010 at Nov 23, 2013,
Quote by innovine
The phrase 'my friend hand' sounds so, so wrong

haha i'm an idiot. i'll fix that.
no you shouldn´t be feeling sore after a slow work out....if your starting barre then yes this sounds normal.....just don´t over do it...when it feels sore, stop and stretch and play something else for a while

Basically internet diagnosises are about as reliable as my spelling ...but being someone thats gone through every basic frikin kind of nerve, tendon and muscle issue I feel obliged to give som advice.....

1. Have a look at your posture when playing...sit infront of a mirror...you should not slouch over the guitar or bend your elbow and wrist in more or close to a 45´ angle
2. Relax..if your a beginner you´ll be trying to press the strings through the fret board...even if you´ve played a while when Learning a new song you´ll tense up and make the same mistake
3. Hand stretches....look it up on the internet..there´s like tons of them
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
what string gauge are you using?

also agreed with blackst4r, it's hard to diagnose online and you want to make sure you're not doing something wrong which could be hurting you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what string gauge are you using?

also agreed with blackst4r, it's hard to diagnose online and you want to make sure you're not doing something wrong which could be hurting you.

10's. I play often and do similar exercises often, but I don't bend frequently, especially as frequently as the last few bars of that solo. I think that may be the culprit.

At the same time, that's just it. I'm self taught and I have discovered mechanical flaws in my playing in the past so it would stand to reason that there could be more. I'm just not sure how to tell without getting lessons and I'm pretty poor right now. Maybe I'll go for one or two just to correct the mechanics.
yeah that might be worth trying (the lessons thing)

10s aren't that tight, but if you're used to bending with 9s or lower (or not used to bending at all) they could definitely hurt, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I strongly recommend some lessons from someone competent. It can be hard to identify your own flaws whilst playing, especially whilst playing something that requires quite a lot of thought. If you can't manage that, try filming yourself. Watch it back with a critical eye, and see how you differ from someone with excellent technique like Paul Gilbert.
Quote by StuartBahn
I strongly recommend some lessons from someone competent. It can be hard to identify your own flaws whilst playing, especially whilst playing something that requires quite a lot of thought. If you can't manage that, try filming yourself. Watch it back with a critical eye, and see how you differ from someone with excellent technique like Paul Gilbert.

Thanks. Is there a sidebar FAQ or something on here that deals with how to select an instructor?
Quote by RyanMW2010
on stairway to heaven's solo at a really slow BPM and after about 20 minutes my fingers on my fret hand and the back of my frethand itself are getting sore.

Is this normal and maybe just because I'm not used to bending this often? (It's that last part that kills me)

Should i be worried?
It depends. The first thing you have to do is learn to differentiate pain from simple work or overwork of muscles, and pain from injury. I guess that's the reason why we're really not supposed to even broach this type of topic.

We do, from time to time get threads like, "my fingers are all black, sore and have grooves in them after I play my guitar". Well, that seems quite normal to me. If you want to play an instrument that doesn't "hurt", by all means, take up the piano.

Wrist placement can cause a lot of problems, and sometimes, people try to sling the guitar too low which can cause problems. Not getting the wrist far enough under the neck results from the low guitar, and pain can be the result.

I'm probably much older than you, and I've learned to expect some pain, and have resigned myself I can no longer play hours on end, for days on end. The issues I know I'll run into aren't new by any stretch. If I don't play for a while, fast strumming will give me some pain from the sideways shock of the pick against the strings. I know that'll will go away , and I can work through. But if my old, "tennis elbow" starts acting up, that's a for sure couple of day off.

Get to know your body. Don't think you can "power your way to stardom" with brute force endless practice.

We also see a lot of overreactions and hystrionics from players starting out, and trying too hard. "Oh no, am I ever going to be able to play again", is sort of a common fear as well. The answer is, "more than likely yes, perfectly".

Take stock of the pain's cause, is it fatigue or injury? Consult with a guitar instructor about posture. See a doctor, if only to have injury ruled out