Page 1 of 4
WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED

HOW IT LOOKS TO CRYBABIES

Big deal.

She got set up with a guide from the Maroi Conservancy, if you look it up. They're a company that sets up hunts in which the proceeds go to rebuilding and developing land and structures from the floods of this past year and other efforts. Plus, they use the meat.

Quote by Maroi Conservancy
They argue that the meat from the animals is given to the local community and that funds from the hunts help to manage "sustainable conservancy" in the region.

The country themselves support these actions, too.

South African Minister for Environmental Affairs, Edna Molewa has defended game farming and hunting, saying it contributes significantly "to conservation, tourism development, job creation and sustainable development, especially in rural areas, and is part of the broader biodiversity economy"

And another note; if you don't think that in a lot of circumstances that hunting of predatory animals can be beneficial, if not necessary to certain animal populations, you've got quite a lot to learn about biology and conservation.

Lions aren't even near being endangered. According to the IUCN, they've go another two categories to go before becoming endangered, they're merely just vulnerable at this point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulnerable_species

4 species of Tuna are also vulnerable, doesn't stop people from catching and eating them by the literal boat-load.

In short, quit knee-jerking and realize that people aren't around the savanna in buggies randomly sniping lions. They're approved via the South African government with the proceeds going towards preservation of the nature in which they're exploring. If people really are in buggies sniping lions, it's called poaching, and those dudes go to jail.

I don't really care about the lion or Melissa herself. I just want everyone to quit being such a crybaby about this.

EDIT: No, no links. If you want to see the quote source, google it. WARNING; you may have to read an entire article.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Nov 23, 2013,
George Takei had a status about it.

Dat bitch is stupid yo.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
It was legal, In a hunting zone, in which she had permission to hunt the animal.

hundreds of people have done it before her, and nothing of the animal was wasted.
It actually went out to feed the local community.

I don't see what the big deal is, also you're like a week late

EDIT: though posing a picture like that makes her a wanker
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
oh well

It kinda makes me sad or whatever, but everything you said is true. Perfectly legal, and they aren't endangered. I don't personally like hunting, but I have no problems with others doing it. People really enjoy it.

Plus, I eat meat everyday so I'm not one to talk
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Nov 23, 2013,
I'd shoot the lion as long as it was going to be for a feast or something and I would get to eat it

I have a personal goal to eat one of each animal before my time is up. its #1 on my bucket list.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Nov 23, 2013,
I never understood how hunting with a firearm is sporting. Bow hunting I could understand the challenge of though. And yes I know shooting a rifle is much more than just 'point and shoot.'

I really don't care either way. I don't like it, but the world's not going to end from one stupid idiot killing one lion in a perfectly legal manner. Yeah sure it's not good and it's stupid, but it's not like some sort of travesty. People need to cool their jets.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
I never understood how hunting with a firearm is sporting. Bow hunting I could understand the challenge of though. And yes I know shooting a rifle is much more than just 'point and shoot.'

I really don't care either way. I don't like it, but the world's not going to end from one stupid idiot killing one lion. Yeah sure it's not good and it's stupid, but it's not like some sort of travesty. People need to cool their jets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX5WGSDcV2g

Spears and many bows are incredibly inhumane. Guns make it a lot easier, yeah, but it's a whole lot less suffering for the animal.

I know you specifically said bows in the modern sense of compounds on smaller game like Whitetail, but you know that somebody was going to come around and make some comment about spears. Just looking to curb that.
Last edited by JustRooster at Nov 23, 2013,
Quote by necrosis1193
I never understood how hunting with a firearm is sporting. Bow hunting I could understand the challenge of though.

think of it this way. if you were to be executed and were given the choice between getting shot with a bow, or a high powered rifle, which would you take? exactly.

EDIT: ^ beaten. damn.
Both fair points. Again though, hunting's not something that has much draw for me, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to be wrong here.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
These hunts actually have lead to a lot of conservation efforts, and the setting up of reserves for animals that normally wouldn't have them.

They aren't endangered, and no animal killed on any decently-run African hunt goes to waste. People just want a reason to be irate.

I like hunting, but I can't see the appeal in getting a lion. I'd honestly rather go and get myself some pics for a sweet desktop. I'm going to bring a lion mane for the next deer I get, though.

Oh, and I don't know if it's been brought up, but from what I understand about lions, that's hardly a dominant male... I'm pretty sure it's been documented that fuller, darker manes are always more preferable to thinner, lighter ones. So if that's the case, it's not like she took away the head of a pride, or anything that was going to really do the lion population any favors...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Nov 23, 2013,
I think this is wrong. But, being vegan, I can at least be consistent with it (I shan't elaborate, these debates often get ridiculous). However, the way you presented this topic makes you seem like a massive ****.
Lions are different though. They're the top of the food chain in their natural habitat, so when you just drive up there, they don't run away from you. In fact, if you're in a nice jeep or something, some lions will probably come and chill in the shade from the jeep.

Nothing sporting about shooting an animal that doesn't think you're a threat. It's like shooting a baby in the face (but not a person).

I'm not one of those people who thinks hunting is evil or anything. (just hunting for sport with no intention of using your kill.) But this wasn't hunting, it was shooting a basically immobile creature with no reason to fear you. Congrats, lady, you're so tough.
Quote by progdude93
Lions are different though. They're the top of the food chain in their natural habitat, so when you just drive up there, they don't run away from you. In fact, if you're in a nice jeep or something, some lions will probably come and chill in the shade from the jeep.

Nothing sporting about shooting an animal that doesn't think you're a threat. It's like shooting a baby in the face (but not a person).

I'm not one of those people who thinks hunting is evil or anything. (just hunting for sport with no intention of using your kill.) But this wasn't hunting, it was shooting a basically immobile creature with no reason to fear you. Congrats, lady, you're so tough.

I've not seen one single outfit that won't make full use out of an animal.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Nov 23, 2013,
idk, it'd be cool if she used a cutlass or something I suppose
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I have a personal goal to eat one of each animal before my time is up. its #1 on my bucket list.

I'm pretty sure Darwin pretty much did this. His dinner menu read like Noah's Ark. Not only were Darwin's accomplishments useful for deducing how animals came to be, they were were also useful for deducing how they taste.

I think the only legit argument against here is the fact that they are a vulnerable species. Generally the idea is when a species is 'in danger of being endangered', let nature take it's course before their numbers become too low to naturally sustain themselves. If they were overpopulated then a cull would be necessary, but there's no other reason to kill them besides for sport or furs, which is an argument all in itself, so I'd say it really wasn't the best decision.

Killing animals for meat is one thing, humans need the nutrition to survive, but I can't honestly come out and justify killing for sport, in my opinion this was wrong.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
**** off Scar
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
i thought this was going to be about some woman miraculously killing a lion with her bare hands

noticeably less interested now
Killing animals is bad, no matter what government approves of it .
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Firstly, just because lions are only "vulnerable" and not "endangered" doesn't mean we should do nothing about them. They are still classed as being at threat, rather than being a healthy, sustainable population. It's the argument of prevention is better than cure - why only start caring when a species is on the brink of extinction?

Secondly, just because something is legal does not make it right. Law, justice and what is right can all be incredibly different things, as is shown time and time again. And where governments in Africa are concerned, that boundary becomes even greater - South Africa has a massively corrupt government, of course they're interested in keeping hunting legal because it makes them more money in the short term, although for long-term loss.

Thirdly, someone famous going hunting then implies to others that it is a good thing to do, and encourages it - for any species at all at threat, I don't think that is a sensible move. So yes, her actions should be condemned, along with anyone else who does a similar thing. That includes the Massai - it may be their tradition that a boy can only become a man when he kills a lion/other large predator, but that's become outdated - these days it's hardly a challenge any longer, and is simply barbaric; it's unnecessary. I know they won't change their culture, but it doesn't mean I agree with it, in the same way I disagree with usingivory or tiger bones for so-called "medicine".

As for it helping the local community... Is it not incredibly sad when they believe killing off populations of animals is the best way to generate money? Surely they would do better by making their country safer and promoting more tourism - at the end of the day, the money runs out when the lion population gets too small; it's no good for hunting or for tourism, so why not just promote more tourism? There's nothing big or clever about murdering something pretty much defenseless from a distance. As someone earlier said, you might as well go and stick a baby on a rock and practice shooting at it - sure the lion can run, but it's also a much larger target. Besides, they are millions of babies, so they aren't even endangered, right? Starting to understand how needless and barbaric it is? Lions clearly still can feel pain, and possibly more emotions. They have as much right to life as anything else.
Do the locals need to feast on lion-meat? No. They have goats, cows and sustainable game populations. Does the lion population require culling? Not that I can see. In a situation such as that, nature goes in sustainable cycles by itself without our intervention. Does the economy profit? Only in the short term.

Someone also mentioned that the lion wasn't an alpha-male type, therefore it was okay to kill it. That's very short-sighted. Let's assume all young male lions were hunted (or nearly all), and all older lions left alone. What happens when those old lions die of old age, or from fights with other lions/prey? Oh yeah - none left to take over those positions. That's a great idea, isn't it guys?!

So, I'm glad there has been public outcry. If she had beaten a child to death, you'd probably all be up in arms, but just because it's only a "vulnerable" animal, then it's okay? I hardly think so.
If you're going to hunt, then learn how to kill cleanly, and hunt populations which can take losses without impact. Or, even better, join a team which records data on lions - shoot it with a dart gun, get some measurements, get up close to a LIVING animal, and do some good, rather than more mindless, needless killing.
If you speak to anyone who hunts, shooting a lion is pretty cowardly. They just around all day, wheres the sport in that?
Can't say I like the idiology of this form of hunting and I do definitely see something wrong, it reeks of rich people without a conscience and without respect for the wild.
The first line of your post wasn't "with her bare hands" therefore I cannot care.
Last edited by Wormholes at Nov 23, 2013,
What was the point of shooting it, though? I mean, there are plenty of other animals on the African savanna which provide more food and aren't threatened species. Although I don't particularly give a crap.

Also, it's amazing how much of a crybaby you can be about the fact that you don't like crybabies.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
But like... why would you shoot a lion? It just seems silly in a "clearly there could have been something more exciting to do with your time" sort of way. Unless she killed it with a spear or something, it really isn't challenging and so it's not a good use of time. Skateboarding or something would have been a way better use of time.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
If you guys seriously thought I was trying to be a hardass in my OP, there must not be a lot of hardasses in your lives.
Quote by JustRooster
If you guys seriously thought I was trying to be a hardass in my OP, there must not be a lot of hardasses in your lives.

No-one said you were being a hardass, sweetie.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
This guy actually spent time around some lions while in Botswana. I'm not saying all lions are going to behave the way these did, but it certainly makes it look fairly easy to hunt one. If this is how the generally act in the wild (like I said, I don't know if this is the case), I think it's pretty lame to be proud of killing one.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/why-killing-a-lion-is-the-most-cowardly-thing-you-can-do
A lot of people hate it, myself included, because there is absolutely zero challenge to hunting a lion. You walk up to it and you shoot it. That's it. No sitting in a tree-stand for 6 hours in the cold, no tracking and covering your scent, no mating calls or any of that shit. And then this stupid bitch has the nerve to pose with its corpse and smile as if she's accomplished something amazing.
Check out my band Disturbed
I saw a lion at the zoo the other day. Screw dat wuman
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I don't necessarily find hunting especially immoral compared to the thousands of human activities that are more or less equivalent, but I can't deny that I find it crass, and I can't deny that most people who hunt are (in my opinion) rather myopic individuals who think their amusement takes precedent over the ecosystem they hunt in.
Page 1 of 4