the 2 most popular strings are Elixirs and D'addarios.
both brands coated strings have a huge following. you'll have to try them and see what works best for you.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by Usernames sucks
Hi! Im looking for some good accoustic strings that has a sparkely top end and a solid mid tone. What is my best bet? Im currently at .11. Shuld i move to .12?
The top two strings are going to sound the same, regardless of whether you buy "phosphor bronze" or "brass" (80/20), since they're both plain steel,perhaps even from the same coil of wire. "Brass" (80/20 bell bronze, whatever you want to call it), are brighter, PB is more mellow and warm sounding.

As for Elixir vs. D'Addario, Elixir strings are coated AFTER wrapping, D'Addario EXP, BEFORE wrapping.

You may have to try a set of PB and brass in each brand before you settle on one.

Some people, (D'Addario users) claim the Elixirs are slippery, other people claim, (Elixir users), the D'Addario EXP's don't last as long. And so on, and so forth, for tone as well.

You get the idea, right?

You're using generally what's called "custom light" sets ATM. A bump up to .012 to .053 will give a a more prominent bass, but make bending and fretting a bit harder.
Either way there are compromises to be made. I believe that .012 to .053 sets (or heavier) are best for large body guitar, as they need that extra energy delivered to their soundboards to give of their very best.

But, if you want to go all "bendy" when you play, stick with what you've got.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 23, 2013,
I have had the d'addaddario exp's .11 and i'm a little bit unsatisfied with the lifetime. Im gonna buy a set of elexir 11 and 12 from ebay. When im first shopping, is there some other brand i should check out?
Quote by Usernames sucks
I have had the d'addaddario exp's .11 and i'm a little bit unsatisfied with the lifetime. Im gonna buy a set of elexir 11 and 12 from ebay. When im first shopping, is there some other brand i should check out?
You should try the Elixirs first. There are other brands of coated string available, Fender and Martin come to mind. I think there's a bit of voodoo, weather, string care, and even physiology involved with "perceived" string lifespan. You can't pop a set that's 3 months old off the guitar, and not be able to say, "the new set sounds way better". By the same token, you can't really remember what the strings you took off, sounded like originally. Not can you?

A lot of strings are made at the same factory, then re-branded by different guitar makers to keep you coming back via brand recognition. "This is a great guitar, I want to keep the manufacture's strings on it, I'm sure they know what's best for it.".

Then too, many makers ship with EXP's, and I believe Taylor ships with Elixirs.

Why don't you shop at someplace like "Musician's Friend" rather than Ebay?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ Their prices should be similar, and their service is excellent.

No pressure, I know Ebay has lots of good merchants, I just can't deal with it personally. I'm even willing to admit it might be a personal problem...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 24, 2013,