Hey guys,

Lately I've been trying to create some of my own riffs. While searching for ideas I came across this link:

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-guitar/foo-fighters-style-lesson/

It seems pretty straightforward, but there's one part in the description I don't understand: "Foo Fighters as many other punk/alternative bands use mostly major tonalities in their compositions. So if you are planning to compose music in this style you’ll need a deep knowledge of the major tonality."

What exactly are major tonalities? To me, the idea of major tonalities evokes specific notes (for example, in C the dominant note is G). Are "major tonalities" specific notes within a scale?

If anyone could clear this up for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.
i think he means they're just playing in a major scale

i.e.

I major
II minor
III minor
IV major
V dominant
VI minor
VII diminished

in terms of the chords of the scale degrees (in C you'd be playing C major, D minor, E minor, F major, G dominant, A minor and B diminished). Obviously most chord progressions don't go I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, so if you had a I IV V progression you'd play C major, F major and G major chords. And the overall tonality would sound major.

That's what he means. You can hear in the start of the video clip in the link you posted, it sounds "major".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That lesson is just a diagram of the B minor scale, I wouldn't read too much into it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Another possibility is changing the scale, dependent on which chord is being played. An all major chord progression,(a completely arbitrary example), "G, C, D E, A, G", would traverse the scales of several major keys. You can change the scale of the solo to match the chord being played. G major over, D major over D, E major over E, etc.

Actually, just playing while incorporating only the chord tones into the solo changes the key/scale automatically

But, if the bulk of the lesson is fixed in B minor, (scale and/or key), as Alan said, I wouldn't over think it.

Spouting things like "major tonalities", is painting with a pretty broad brush to begin with.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 23, 2013,
The way Foo Fighters guys compose songs is not picking chords in a scale. They just come up with riffs because they can play by ear pretty well. I don't think Dave Grohl knows that much theory. He just knows the sound well.

I would say good songs aren't written with your fingers (well, some may be). Music is about sound. When I get song ideas, they don't come from noodling around with a scale. They just kind of start ringing in my head and then I play what I hear in my head. This of course requires some ear training.

Also, I listened to the song he played and it also used non-diatonic chords. I'm not a member so I can't watch the whole lesson so I'm not really sure what it's talking about. But I think by "major tonality" he means "major key".
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 24, 2013,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
But I think by "major tonality" he means "major key".

yeah that's what i meant. much handier than what i wrote.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?