Hey everyone. I'm a huge fan of U2, Green Day, Pearl Jam, and Aerosmith.

In U2, Bono is the primary lyricist, and all musical composition is always credited to the entire band.

Likewise, in Green Day, Billie Joe Armstrong is the primary lyricist, and all musical composition is always credited to the entire band.

In Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder writes most of the lyrics. However, Pearl Jam's music is often composed by various, individual members of the band.

In Aerosmith, Steven Tyler and Joe Perry often collaborate with outsiders in order to pen the band's songs.

Generally speaking- Do all of the band members contribute to the songwriting process?

Is it necessary to have all of the band members get songwriting credits?

For instance- Do the rest of the members of Aerosmith mind that Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, and a bunch of outsiders are writing all of the band's songs?

I mean- If you were the bass player of a rock band, wouldn't you want to come up with all the basslines? If you were the drummer of a rock band, wouldn't you want to come up with all the beats and fills?
No, not all bands have every member contributing; some bands have members who do more when some do little, and some don't have members who do anything.

Metalcore band The Plot In You's vocalist does most of the writing and tracking, along with the drummer (does only the latter, if I'm not mistaken); the rest of the band is there for touring and such.

It's nothing to be bothered with; as long as the member isn't a liability and can play with/for the band, there's nothing wrong with having a member not write much or anything (but some bands probably prefer having their members do something during the writing/tracking process).

Edit: Also, if the writers are better when it comes to bass lines, melodies and lyrics, it'd be better off that guy than trying to get the original role to come up with it. So long as he can full fill the role of playing it, it works.
Last edited by Lifesign at Nov 23, 2013,
Sometimes certain band members will have a heavier influence in the writing process than others. Not to mention band members might write parts for other members but there are also bands that have only one prominent songwriter... e.g. Matt Bellamy (Muse), Acle Kahney (Tesseract), Keshav Dhar (Skyharbor) Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree).
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Nov 23, 2013,
I just need some clarification, guys.

During the crafting and development of a song leading up to its final recording sessions-

What is the difference between "arrangement" and "instrumentation"?