Hello. A guitarist I'm playing with offered to sell me his Boss blues driver BD2 for 30 dollars, since he has replaced it with some fancy boutique pedal. I would be playing blues of course, and Led Zeppelin/Black Sabath/hendrix type stuff, and maybe some funk/jazz/fusion (but that's mostly clean, so less a factor in the decision).

Currently, I have a Gibson Les Paul double cut studio, a Visual sound route 808 (TS9 clone) and a fender blues junior.

Do you think that's a good deal?
Last edited by s guy at Nov 23, 2013,
Pretty cool pedal, especially for such a good price, i'd jump on it. Easily modified to be a better pedal too! I have the Keeley version that i like as a gritty clean boost on my amp, and stacks well with a tubescreamer!
I haven't played one yet, though I've heard good things, but for $30 I don't think I'd hesitate.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
you already have what I'd consider to be a better overdrive pedal so that is a consideration. if you like the pedal and have the cash why not (I have 4 different overdrives myself)
It's a really overlooked overdrive because it's a Boss pedal, IMO, but it's got one of the best clean boosts I've heard in a mass produced pedal. It's a different shade of overdrive compared to the Tubescreamers and their clones, because it's missing that mid boost, that's what makes the clean boost on the BD2 so clean. The boost is great for goosing your other overdrive pedals, too.

The main gripe people have with it is that the highs can get pretty harsh and piercing with the tone maxed out, but there's a really cheap, simple solution for this: don't max out the tone knob.

at $30 bucks, its a steal. Even if you don't like it, you could easily get $50 for it.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I own one already and I'd buy it for $30.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Buy it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well now that it's decided make sure to post up your thoughts when you get it... I run a BJr as well so I'd be interested to hear.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I honestly hate boss, like a lot, but they have pedals that I would love to have, and that would be one of them. Sounds really great. Get it, man.
Quote by monwobobbo
you already have what I'd consider to be a better overdrive pedal so that is a consideration. if you like the pedal and have the cash why not (I have 4 different overdrives myself)

+3.1415.

I use two on my main gig, sometimes however rare three.

Zendrive (lead tone) and timmy (rhythm) on the mkiv.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Bad Monkey and Timmy, here. Timmy for lead in my case.
You gotta have at least two.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Bad Monkey and Timmy, here. Timmy for lead in my case.
You gotta have at least two.

Abby up and running yet?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Nah, haven't got back to it. Got a new amp to play with atm. I'll sort it out one day though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, I got it. It's very nice. The TS clone is starting to sound a little nasal by comparison. Something funny I noticed, not about this pedal in particular, is that when I switch between them, the flaws stand out. Right after I've played my TS, the BD sounds harsh, then I get used to it and it sounds great, and when I switch back, the TS sounds nasal and a little muddy, then I get used to it again. They're definitely different enough that it's good to have both.
^ yeah that happens to me too. My ears get used to whatever i'm currently using. Like if I use a humbucker guitar one day single coils sound way too bright the next day, but if I use them the other way round humbuckers sound way too dark

Quote by Jhachey22
It's a really overlooked overdrive because it's a Boss pedal, IMO, but it's got one of the best clean boosts I've heard in a mass produced pedal. It's a different shade of overdrive compared to the Tubescreamers and their clones, because it's missing that mid boost, that's what makes the clean boost on the BD2 so clean. The boost is great for goosing your other overdrive pedals, too.

The main gripe people have with it is that the highs can get pretty harsh and piercing with the tone maxed out, but there's a really cheap, simple solution for this: don't max out the tone knob.

at $30 bucks, its a steal. Even if you don't like it, you could easily get $50 for it.

+1

if you subscribe to the idea (I do- it's an oversimplification but as a rule of thumb it's not too bad) that there are basically ts-style od pedals and more transparent od pedals, you could make a pretty decent case for owning a bd2 alongside your tubescreamer since it's a lot more transparent. EDIT: ah sweet, you went for it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 24, 2013,