Hi y'all,

I'm looking for a replacement for my peavey bandit 112. It's not sounding as good as it used to. I'm not planning on having it fixed or diagnosed because last time I had it fixed it didn't go so well.
I'm thinking about spending about 400-600 euro (I live in the netherlands). I'm using a Gibson SG faded brown.
I like to play a lot of genres. I enjoy playing everything in-between from jazz to heavy metal.

I don't care much if it's a combo or a stack. I don't care either if has tubes or not.
What is important however is that it has a decent FX loop and a headphone plug. I also like it to be able to go loud enough for band practice, but also be good at bedroom level.
I'm having difficulty describing what sort of sound/quality sound I want. I'm not particularly good at distinguishing a tube amp from a analog amp, but I do think I know how a good amp is supposed to sound like.
How big a difference is the sound between non-tube amps and tube amps nowadays? How are the really commercial models, such as the Blackstar ID 260TVP?
I am not sure if I want to go used. My peavey was a used, and it didn't end so well.

So tl;dr version:
I would like to be recommended a guitar amp with the following:
- 400-600 euro
- versatile
- decent FX loop
- headphone plug
- Both great at low and high sound volumes

Thanks in advance for advice
Thing is, at this price range, you do want to go used. Either, you can save money, or you can get an amp from a higher price range. Of course, check the deal you're buying into, but don't be scared off from buying used.

What's the used market like around your area?

EDIT: not saying it's necessary to go used, just probably a good idea in your case.
Last edited by ambler3 at Nov 23, 2013,
Quote by ambler3
Thing is, at this price range, you do want to go used. Either, you can save money, or you can get an amp from a higher price range. Of course, check the deal you're buying into, but don't be scared off from buying used.

What's the used market like around your area?

EDIT: not saying it's necessary to go used, just probably a good idea in your case.

Well, the market around here is mediocre I would say, it doesn't offer anything special or worthwhile at the moment.
If I'm really looking for something specific I would probably run into the trouble of not having a car.
And yeah, I'm still quite doubtful of the durability of secondhand products. I know this is very naive, but buying used products just makes me stressed, because I'm always doubting whether I've made a good purchase, making the purchase less enjoyable.
What's your experience in buying used amplifiers?

Should I perhaps consider saving up more and throw the price up a notch?
Last edited by BvdL at Nov 23, 2013,
It kinda seems like you're describing a Peavey Tube Vyper. I've never tried one but they're often touted by a few respected ug members. Could be perfect for your situation.

I buy/sell/trade gear on craigslist like baseball cards. Never been cheated or raped. Half the time its someone else doing the exact same thing. I blame gg&a. Just sayin'

And if you're quite doubtful of the durability of a product when buying used, why pay twice as much for a new one? At least a working used amp has a proven track record. Often times stock tubes/speakers have been upgraded. If you buy right and with proper upkeep you can sell at cost.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Nov 23, 2013,
Quote by BvdL
Well, the market around here is mediocre I would say, it doesn't offer anything special or worthwhile at the moment.
If I'm really looking for something specific I would probably run into the trouble of not having a car.
And yeah, I'm still quite doubtful of the durability of secondhand products. I know this is very naive, but buying used products just makes me stressed, because I'm always doubting whether I've made a good purchase, making the purchase less enjoyable.
What's your experience in buying used amplifiers?

Should I perhaps consider saving up more and throw the price up a notch?

possibly a good idea, if you're pretty set on new. May be a good idea to save up another £200 or so. That, and also it's open up the possibility of going with a head+cab route much easier.

and yeah, lucky has a point.

He mentioned the Peavey vypyr tube 60 combo. From what i've seen people saying about them on here, maybe not a bad idea. Apparently a fairly big step up from their SS brothers. I think they run roughly £450 new on Thomann. Just a shame there's no used market for them in Europe..
Look at the Jet City JCA 50h/100h and the Harley Benton G212vintage cab at Thomann.de

A used Peavey JSX, Marshall JCM2000 DSL50/100 would work really well for you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the replies.

The Peavey Tube Vyper seemed quite nice, unfortunately they seem to be very rare both used and new in europe. The peavey vyper doesn't really seem like good alternative.
I've been looking across the internet and found a guy willing to sell me his Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 100 head for 550 euro. I guess I could buy a decent cab when I have the money. Should I take it?

EDIT: just discovered a little nuance, I overlooked the fact you recommended a DSL instead of a TSL. Judging from google, DSL is supposed to sound better. How big a difference are we talking here? (sound wise, I know the TSL includes an extra channel)

EDIT2: just spotted a JCM 2000 DSL for 600 aswell. So now I have the choice between a DSL and a TSL with the DSL being 50 bucks cheaper.
Last edited by BvdL at Nov 25, 2013,
Anyone please? I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me already.
Well I have a DSL100 and it is a great amp, I would deff get one over the TSL.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I got one of these a few months ago.. I've gigged with it numerous times so far. Great little tube amp... Nice cleans to awesome dirt... Not a "Metal" sound at all, but great little amp..

Musician's Friend has this one... fit's your price range and I bet it's available abroad... It's got some pretty good reviews...

just my 2 cents..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Not the new DSL, the original JCM2000 DSL50/100 it is much better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the replies.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well I have a DSL100 and it is a great amp, I would deff get one over the TSL.

How loud is the thing? Would you say it's too loud for simple bedroom practice?
I used to be able to dial in my DSL 100, the old model not the newer ones, at bedroom levels. Granted it sounds better at higher volumes but I could manage.
I second Robb's suggestion on the older DSL series. The new ones are very lack luster. I wished they were as good as the older ones.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by BvdL
Thanks for the replies.

How loud is the thing? Would you say it's too loud for simple bedroom practice?

It gets loud as hell, you can use it in a bedroom, but they deff shine when you can crank them some. Everyone's bedroom level is different, I use a POD XT and headphones at home 99% of the time, because I don't like low volumes but my family and neighbors do

There is the JCM2000 DSL401/201 these are a 40 watt and 20 watt DSL combo, they might be a little better for you. They do make a 15 watt and a 5 watt new DSL combo, but like I said the JCM2000 series is the better amp.

If you ever plan on gigging/jamming you might want a little more power than 5 or 15 watts. It's better to have it and not use than need it and not have it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The TSL doesn't sound like a real Marshall. They were trying to compete with Mesa basically - and failed dismally. You'll get away with a TSL for nu metal shit but not a lot else and even then there are better alternatives. The DSL sounds like a Marshall.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification