hey guys , i have a opportunity to get my first gibson this xmas, i can either get the models that are listed above , they are all on sale for about 7 or 8 hundred , so yeah any help would be nice i like a slim neck on guitars and i need it to be versatile
No help but is there a difference between the lpj and lp jr?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Well, I think the biggest difference is the pickups. LPJ has 490R/498T pickups (barely glued into a plastic shell), the LPJ Pro the same only with coil splitting (and a real cover), and the 60's Les Paul has Burstbuckers. And presumably the 60's has a bit better finish than the LPJs.

Unless you're into modding your guitars, I'd personally go with the 60's Tribute.
Forgot to include that the LPJs have maple necks while the 60's Tribute has a mahogany neck.

And for an alternative, the Epiphone Les Paul Tribute+ is better than all 3 of those in my opinion, but doesn't say "Gibson" on it. But does come with a hardshell case included in the price. Might want to consider it.
Quote by JazzyJaymes
hey guys , i have a opportunity to get my first gibson this xmas, i can either get the models that are listed above , they are all on sale for about 7 or 8 hundred , so yeah any help would be nice i like a slim neck on guitars and i need it to be versatile

Honestly, I'd steer clear of those models and save a bit more until you can get into a better grade of Gibson.
Quote by Preacher403
Forgot to include that the LPJs have maple necks while the 60's Tribute has a mahogany neck.

And for an alternative, the Epiphone Les Paul Tribute+ is better than all 3 of those in my opinion, but doesn't say "Gibson" on it. But does come with a hardshell case included in the price. Might want to consider it.

Why initiate the Gibson/Epiphone debate? At least wait until page three

I am not going to get into it /trashed
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dspellman
Honestly, I'd steer clear of those models and save a bit more until you can get into a better grade of Gibson.

+1. I bought one of the cheap Gibsons last year. It’s a nice guitar, but I would have been better off sinking $500 into a Korean guitar. The finish is super thin and flaking off everywhere the guitar gets bumped, the nut slots are cut too tight, and the fretwork isn’t on par with a good Asian guitar.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Why initiate the Gibson/Epiphone debate? At least wait until page three

I am not going to get into it /trashed

Well, I happen to own both an LPJ and a Tribute+, so I figured I'd at least offer the benefit of my experience. If I had to choose between the two, the LPJ would lose, especially in a "no changes from factory" situation.
The LPJ is a great guitar to use as a basis for modding. The Tributes, especially the '60s with Burstbuckers is a great guitar for the money, some people like the slightly thinner nitro finish (it's a different finish on the 2013 Tributes to the LPJ, more glossy) and some people don't. I've owned Standards, a 2002 Studio and a 2013 60s Tribute and the Tribute is every bit as good from a playing and fit and finish point of view as the 2002 and 2003 Standards I owned, slightly different (no binding, thinner finish) but certainly not worse and considering it cost half as much it's certainly not half the guitar.
Gibson quality control can be a little patchy so check any guitar over before committing yourself and be prepared to pay for a good set-up on any guitar you buy, not just a Gibson.
Yes you could buy a great Les Paul style guitar (like a Burny) for less but at the end of the day you just need to play as many guitars as you can in your price range and buy the one you can't bear to leave the shop without.
Last edited by Vintage1972 at Nov 28, 2013,