Well, the band members were heavily influenced by Punk bands, which gave their music a punk rock feel. Might I ask how they're new wave??
They were founded by a few guys who didn't really know music but just picked up an instrument and played. They basically started in a garage, like every other punk band. Kurt always said Nirvana was what he thought punk should sound like.
Nirvana is grunge, but grunge does sound a lot like punk rock. It's all based on the style I suppose. A " sloppy " playing style and " sloppy " rough singing is all a part of grunge... punk sounds similar but it has a clearer sound to it, as well as a different dress style. It kind of sucks nirvana was stuck with the label " grunge " though since Kurt mentioned he'd had a lot more goals for music that would've been in different genres... but couldn't since it wouldn't be grunge. :/ Anyways, they weren't punk and definitely not new wave. R.I.P, K.C
Last edited by Trawick at Dec 3, 2013,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJGl0FQK9Ew

--because this is punk rock, that's why.

I personally couldn't be bothered by, what seems to be, most people's such small perceptions of what punk is or can be. I don't need to get into a long pretentious statement, but if 'punk rock' was ONLY sloppy, 2-minute, 4/4 songs played at lightening speed, then the whole genre would get so old so fast. Fortunately, punk rock is so much more than that.

What/who's punk:

Hunter S Thompson
Henry Miller
Bob Dylan
Bill Murray
Woody Guthrie
Bill Hicks
George Carlin
William Faulkner
Blind Willie McTell
Is that you, John Wayne?..Is this me?
You know whose punk:

Author
avante garde artist
author
blogger
tranny
Skrillex
The simpsons
Poop
Cooper Manning

Punk is like you know when the heart and like the eagle and its not on how you dress but you know who you are and stuff yknow
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
some girls are punker than others.
some girls' mothers are punker than other girls' mothers.

it's the way of the world.
I've always considered Nirvana in line with punk - even a pop punk of sorts. They're highly inspired by punk bands, they have a punk-ish sound in all their music to a degree, and like someone said, they didn't know anything about music except their love for it and they picked up some instruments and wrote and played songs. You don't get much more punk than that?
Quote by Trawick
Nirvana is grunge, but grunge does sound a lot like punk rock. It's all based on the style I suppose. A " sloppy " playing style and " sloppy " rough singing is all a part of grunge... punk sounds similar but it has a clearer sound to it, as well as a different dress style. It kind of sucks nirvana was stuck with the label " grunge " though since Kurt mentioned he'd had a lot more goals for music that would've been in different genres... but couldn't since it wouldn't be grunge. :/ Anyways, they weren't punk and definitely not new wave. R.I.P, K.C

This.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Bleach era Nirvana is punk, but other than that they're more alternative rock than anything.

BTW: New Wave is ****in' gay.
Last edited by garlic_bredhead at Jan 5, 2014,
Quote by neidnarb11890
some girls are punker than others.
some girls' mothers are punker than other girls' mothers.

it's the way of the world.

I wish UG was more like Reddit, so I could upvote a great Smiths reference. I love the Smiths. Are they punk? Morrissey does hate everything. Can we talk about the Smiths now?