So for an early Christmas present, I got a new guitar and amp. This isnt my first guitar, and I've been playing on and of for about 10 years, hence the name, but I quit playing for other people and in bands, and now I just do it as a relaxing thing for myself and no one else. So Im not terribly worried about tube amps and Gibsons and all that stuff.

My guitar and amp are a Squire Strat and a Roland Cube 15. The Strat isnt too bad, it plays well and Im diggin the action, but I may change pickups down the road. I mostly play blues and some older classic rock, so I was looking into some GFS Texas Alnicos, but Im wondering if they're any good?

Second, the Cube doesn't have any effects and I dont have any left over either (sold everything about 5 years ago). So since its not a gig worthy rig, I was thinking about picking up some of those cheap Danelectro Fab pedals (basically all of the $15 ones) and a Vox wah. For the Danelectro pedals, instead of having to tap dance around on them all the time, Im thinking about buying a big box and pulling them all out of their factory cases and making like an analog multieffects pedal. Has anyone ever tried that?
yes lol. i had a bunch of boss pedals and did that. there are downsides to the equasion. powering them all with a daisy chain wont be an option if you rehouse them. after you reach a certain number of pedals, you will need more than one supply. not only that, but if ur like me, there will never be a permanent pedal placement solution. and then ud have to pull it all apart to change the order. the dano pedals cant be used that way because the pots are plastic with no nuts to screw to a new surface. and plastic jacks. sounds like u need the carl martin quattro. but its fuggun expensive.
Why not just buy a cheap multifx?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Well cause when I started out years ago, I had a cheap multi effects pedal, cant remember which one but I think it was DigiTech or something of that nature, and it flat sucked. Even through the crap SS amp I had, it still sounded horrible. Those Dano pedals dont sound too terribly bad. I figured I would swap out the jacks, pots, and footswitches for something made of a better material. Its really more for the novelty of it all really. I mean I've heard some of the multi units that sounded decent, but I cant remember which ones and what they cost... Its been a while.
You definitely want a multi fx.

Lets say you're going to get 5 of the Danelectros. 5x15=75. Going by British prices, a vox wah is about £50, so that gives you 125.

I don't know US (?) prices, but that would probably be plenty for a used Zoom G5 (if not, then you'd definitely get the G3), or one of the Line 6 products. It would definitely get you something like a used Boss ME50.

All are as good as, possibly better than the Danelectro pedals you're considering, and would offer you a lot more options than the pedals you're currently considering.

Maybe multi effect pedals were all crap last time you looked, but I think you need to look again - times have moved on. Sure, if you're going to spend serious money on your setup then separate pedals are the way to go, but for someone on a low budget that only plays at home a multi effect pedal can't be beaten.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
What would be the point of rehousing them? Without a CPU, you'll still be stuck with the same exact tap dance.

You can get a used Line 6 M9 for around $250, you can also get a used Line 6 POD HD500 for about that much, maybe a little more. That's dirt cheap prices for what they are: professional MFX/DSP units. They sound amazing and can hang with pretty much any standalone stompbox out there.

If that's too much, you can get a Boss ME-70 for around $150-200. It is severely limited compared to a Line 6 unit, but it sounds decent. I'm sure there's comparable Digitech or Zoom stuff as well, but I'm not familiar with them.

My point is, you can't make a judgement/generalization of all MFX pedals, because you had one piece of shit one years ago. And you certainly won't be happy with a fleet of cheap pedals that will break if you step on them too hard.

I also don't get why you don't care what you sound like because you're not playing for other people. Just don't get it. My tone is for me first and foremost. I don't care what other people think - most of them don't care and can't tell the difference between an MG and a JCM800 anyway.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 24, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
My point is, you can't make a judgement/generalization of all MFX pedals, because you had one piece of shit one years ago. And you certainly won't be happy with a fleet of cheap pedals that will break if you step on them too hard.

I also don't get why you don't care what you sound like because you're not playing for other people. Just don't get it. My tone is for me first and foremost. I don't care what other people think - most of them don't care and can't tell the difference between an MG and a JCM800 anyway.

Its not a judgement or generalization. I honestly dont know what has come along since I last was in the market. But I know Danelectro pedals are pretty decent for their price point. Thats why I was looking at them. But I digress.

As for tone, lets face facts, neither you nor I or anyone else here is going to become famous on the levels of the guitar greats we all idolized when we started. No one is ever going to want to sound like us. Tone is so damn subjective that theres no point putting much into the search for the "perfect" sound. I've spent countless thousands of dollars over the years for gear that, like you said, people cant pick out when compared to something alot cheaper. There's, honestly, a sinking feeling to standing on stage playing a $2k guitar into a $4k amp and having someone tell you they dont like your sound, and that you should buy better gear. The search for tone nirvana is typically in vain man, dont get so hung up on it.
Quote by OffandOnRocker
Its not a judgement or generalization. I honestly dont know what has come along since I last was in the market. But I know Danelectro pedals are pretty decent for their price point. Thats why I was looking at them. But I digress.

As for tone, lets face facts, neither you nor I or anyone else here is going to become famous on the levels of the guitar greats we all idolized when we started. No one is ever going to want to sound like us. Tone is so damn subjective that theres no point putting much into the search for the "perfect" sound. I've spent countless thousands of dollars over the years for gear that, like you said, people cant pick out when compared to something alot cheaper. There's, honestly, a sinking feeling to standing on stage playing a $2k guitar into a $4k amp and having someone tell you they dont like your sound, and that you should buy better gear. The search for tone nirvana is typically in vain man, dont get so hung up on it.

i think you need to not get so "hung up on" yourself.

rehousing danos is borderline laughable. if you think that the hunt of tone is vain buy what you want and don't ask for advice. buy a ****ing spider or MG.

the progression of MFX has gotten exponentially better today than even three or four years ago, hell 10 year ago. you can't even compare.

look at my profile. i like gear. i enjoy my amps and guitars and pedals. its not in vein its a passion for me. i love what i have, good variety of things to play and seek inspiration from different instruments.

i make pocket change for extra things. i teach lessons $25 for 30 minutes. i usually have between 6 and 8 students weekly, adult only. i have had three students that have stuck with me since they started with me three years ago.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

look at my profile. i like gear. i enjoy my amps and guitars and pedals. its not in vein its a passion for me. i love what i have, good variety of things to play and seek inspiration from different instruments.

+311

I just can't afford nearly as much! Haha

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
+311

I just can't afford nearly as much! Haha

check your PM's. post back after your read it so i know to check.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Checked.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Honestly, I'd forget the Cube and the MFX or Dano pedals and get a Vypyr Tube 60 for $250.

I'm a terrible guitarist but I personally love MY tone and that's all that matters. My guitars are cheap too.

PS: I also happen to own a Splawn rig that cost me close to $2,000
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Nov 28, 2013,
I don't really understand your logic here, which really isn't important.

You say had a cheap MFX with a shitty SS amp that sounded horrible, so now you're looking to buy a bunch of crappy pedals, but you don't care about tone?

Go to your local music store and demo some MFX units or just buy a new amp with on board FX. Buying different crap, because the earlier crap was more crappy, will not fix your problem.
Quote by OffandOnRocker

brought to you from a guy who doesn't list any of his gear. dude just because you have expensive gear doesn't mean you know how to use it. seen plenty of bands with great gear that sounded like crap and many that had raggedy gear that sounded great. and that goes for "the pros" as well. I won't get many accolades on The Gear Page for my gear but I certainly know how to get the most out of it.

OP dude you need a better amp for starters. your current amp while good for a little practice amp still is just that. new pickups won't help as the the amp won't see them really any different that is one of the downsides to modellers.