Hi. So it's happening. Going to switch back to coated strings again the next time I get strings.

I just can't deal with noncoated strings anymore. Serious rusting occurs just hours after playing. I can't deal with having a deader tone in just 1-2 days, and an unusable tone in 3-7 days.
I can't afford to buy strings that often.

So, which one do you think is better? What pros and cons do you have to say about each of these strings?

Anyone who wants to suggest coated strings besides the two I mentioned, it has to be ones that have plain strings coated as well. Those are the main victims when rusting up.
DR. I don't like coated strings though. They probably still make them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
DR. I don't like coated strings though. They probably still make them.

I heard DR is the worst. I wouldn't be surprised that you don't like coated strings if you tried the apparent worst ones ever.

I'm leaning towards Cleartone because I heard it's "chemically bonded" to the strings. I believe that means less flaking problems, though flaking is mostly from technique and handling of strings. Still would like that reduced as much as possible.

I heard polywebs are good and last extremely long, but are easy to flake off if you abuse your strings. Basically any techniques like pick scraping is an absolute no.
Quote by Clay-man
I heard DR is the worst. I wouldn't be surprised that you don't like coated strings if you tried the apparent worst ones ever.

I'm leaning towards Cleartone because I heard it's "chemically bonded" to the strings. I believe that means less flaking problems, though flaking is mostly from technique and handling of strings. Still would like that reduced as much as possible.

I heard polywebs are good and last extremely long, but are easy to flake off if you abuse your strings. Basically any techniques like pick scraping is an absolute no.

Sorry for the bad rep. I kind of thought you kind of looking for another option. I had fresh elixirs on one guitar i bought. I could tell they were new. Cut them of 1 hour. I am the last to ask.

Just trying to give an idea.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Sorry for the bad rep. I kind of thought you kind of looking for another option. I had fresh elixirs on one guitar i bought. I could tell they were new. Cut them of 1 hour. I am the last to ask.

Just trying to give an idea.

No problem. Don't be sorry. I'm just stating that I HEARD they're pretty bad.

This topic's case would be to find which ones are the best. The best 2 I can think of so far are Elixir and Cleartone.

I hear Elixir is good because it prevents gunk between the windings, and I heard Cleartone is good because the coating is bonded to the string which sounds like the coating is more durable.

Like I said, they also absolutely have to be treated on the plain strings as well.
This means nothing like Ernie Ball strings which only do wound strings. (As much as I love Ernie Ball until they rust to hell a day later, just isn't working for me though)
Quote by Reages
Just clean the strings after you have done playing

I do. Dies really fast still.
A friend of mine has acid hands. He'll rust a set of strings off in two weeks time easy. We've been through most of the coated strings out there. He liked the sound of the DR Black Beauties. The coating failed quickly though, flaking away to the point they let the strings start rusting in about a month. They are hard to see against a dark fretboard as well, which he wasn't fond of. Cleartones sounded good and played well. Longevity is up in the air. He managed to break two strings relatively quickly. At that point he switched to Elixirs. I believe it's the poly web formula he's been using. He likes the sound and they've gone several month before dying. I've got a set of Elixir Nanos for him that he'll be trying next. We'll see how they last compared to the Polys.
I'd go with the Cleartones. I have had horrible experience with the Elixer's and I can't stand the coating at all.

I prefer Nickel wound plain strings personally
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As much as I like the elixir nanowebs & their anti rust coated steel strings, I find that I end up changing them in a month because their intonation starts degrading by that time for me. No experience with cleartones but I didn't like the coated daddarios, too dull sounding & coating didn't last very long either.
I've been using Elixirs pretty much exclusively over the past few years because they last ages for me. My hands sweat a lot so regular strings just don't last when I play them.

As for the coating sticking to your fingers, that has never happened to me, and actually I find I have an easier time sliding/moving my fingers around the fretboard.

To each his own though. I say get a pair of each, see which one you like the best.
Amps+ FX:
6505+ Head
Line 6 DT50 2x12
Line 6 Pod HD500
Maxon OD808
MXR 10 Band EQ
Guitars
Ibanez SZR720
Schecter ATX C-7 Blackjack
Ibanez RGA7
Ovation Celebrity
Agile Dauntless(SD Pups)
Fender Modern Player Tele+
Quote by poppameth
A friend of mine has acid hands. He'll rust a set of strings off in two weeks time easy. We've been through most of the coated strings out there. He liked the sound of the DR Black Beauties. The coating failed quickly though, flaking away to the point they let the strings start rusting in about a month. They are hard to see against a dark fretboard as well, which he wasn't fond of. Cleartones sounded good and played well. Longevity is up in the air. He managed to break two strings relatively quickly. At that point he switched to Elixirs. I believe it's the poly web formula he's been using. He likes the sound and they've gone several month before dying. I've got a set of Elixir Nanos for him that he'll be trying next. We'll see how they last compared to the Polys.

Great post.

The problem with me is string tone death = 3-7 days after installation and playing.
breakage is usually 1-2 months after.

If string tone death was like 2 months for you with Elixirs, that's absolutely amazing.
I heard nanos don't last as long because it's too thin.

I've heard good and bad about cleartone. The apparent way they coat their strings is really appealing though, so it makes me want to try it and maybe luckily love it.

Also, that's exactly what I hear about DR strings and why they're apparently garbage.
Quote by Clay-man
Great post.

The problem with me is string tone death = 3-7 days after installation and playing.
breakage is usually 1-2 months after.

If string tone death was like 2 months for you with Elixirs, that's absolutely amazing.
I heard nanos don't last as long because it's too thin.

I've heard good and bad about cleartone. The apparent way they coat their strings is really appealing though, so it makes me want to try it and maybe luckily love it.

Also, that's exactly what I hear about DR strings and why they're apparently garbage.

i know this isn't completely pertinent, but i get 6 months out of D'addario Nickle Blues .11's. i don't dry my strings or use anything on the strings at all. so i don't understand a lot of this, but i mean the answer to this question is really try yourself.

in this case i realize that coated strings are expensive and most people wouldn't want to go out and buy four different kinds and say 'see for yourself'

99% of the string questions, i just say go buy some different kinds. they are cheap, buy three different kinds.

but as i said they are more expensive. i wish i could help more, but maybe you will have to buy a pack of both. it sucks that they are not cheap, but since that everybody is different has different chemicals in their sweat, and some more and some less.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Tone is something I can't comment too much on with coated strings since I don't use them. The friend who plays them has a sever problem with over processing pretty much anything he plays so I'm not sure he would even notice tone death until it got pretty bad.
i just put cleartones on my acoustic. i can say they feel nice, they have lasted a long time, but after about 1 month i think i can tell a noticable deadness to them.

perfect condition, but i would almost liken them to daddario EXPs. and the cleartones cost me 16 bucks.

personally, i think the elixers with the smallest coating have a hand up. the only way to be as sure as possible is make those my next string change. ideally i would like 2x guitars and string them both up as the same time. dont have that luxury.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
i just put cleartones on my acoustic. i can say they feel nice, they have lasted a long time, but after about 1 month i think i can tell a noticable deadness to them.

perfect condition, but i would almost liken them to daddario EXPs. and the cleartones cost me 16 bucks.

personally, i think the elixers with the smallest coating have a hand up. the only way to be as sure as possible is make those my next string change. ideally i would like 2x guitars and string them both up as the same time. dont have that luxury.

Darn. I'm guessing the reason why cleartones don't really flake is because of the "micro coating", but that doesn't mean it wont come off.

That's disappointing. I don't know. I want to try a pack of cleartones and hopefully be one of the lucky ones that like it, but Elixir seems so much better. It's just that flaking crap I'm worried about from playing too hard.