Hi,I'm 16 years old and playing guitar for nearly 3 years.I'm very good at rhythm playing and in the case of lead I can use the techniques like hammer on,pull ups,slides,bends,etc. and can play moderately fast.Now,I have joined a band and our genre is Progressive rock and Experimental metal and there is only one guitarist,that's me,so I will be playing both lead and rhythm,but I can't create solos since I think they should match according to the chords.I think that's because I don't know pentatonic scales,please help me to get that thing out.I really get confused when I try to learn pentatonic scales,how can we create solos by that?I want to create solos as well,I know techniques but not theory,please help me....
Sorry to say, but if you've been playing for three years and don't know the Pentatonic scale, then you really need to go back to basics.

e--------------------5-8
B----------------5-8
G------------5-7
D--------5-7
A ----5-7
E 5-8--

There is your A Minor pentatonic, no more confusion. Start the scale on another fret to get a different key, like B Minor, or F# Minor.

However, you have a very long way to go if you want to play Progressive Rock/Experimental Metal, with that, you'll want to be using Major and Minor scales, and perhaps delving into Harmonic Minor or Phrygian Dominant at times, and if the band is advanced, you may have to play fluidly through several key changes. If you're dead set on improvisation, that will take years of practice to get down to a fine art, so I would recommend you use Guitar Pro and its 'Scales' tool to compose solos which you then learn. Download a tab of a song that already exists, delete the solo, and write a new one, this will force you to determine the key from the chords below the solo, and you can spend a while experimenting with different sounds, you can then apply that to your own solos.
You don't need to improvise your solos. You can compose them. If you don't know any scales, it may be hard to improvise - unless you can play really well by ear (though scales shouldn't write solos - you should still use your ears but knowing the scales makes using your ears a lot easier). But then again you wouldn't have this problem. When you compose a solo, it's same as writing songs. Use your ears because they are never wrong.

First listen to what other instruments play and then start humming a melody over it and try to find the notes you just sang on your fretboard (and if you can't, just record your singing and find them later).

Also, not all songs need to have solos. You could just have an instrumental part.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I agree with the composing solos idea. If you write your songs in Guitar Pro, it's even easier, because you can hear the melodies as you plug them in, but can also "think" in terms of tablature, seeing the scales as you write them. That gets you thinking and feeling at the same time, which I've found leads to some fairly quick growth.
Nice interesting writing& great sharing, thanks! Very nice indeed! I am really enjoying your work. Thanks for posting!