Hey guys,

I'm a bit interested in getting a cheap distortion pedal. I mainly play classic rock sounding stuff and have been using a Boss Overdrive but I'm looking to expand a little bit and read that, while the Boss ds-1 sometimes gets a bad rap, when paired with the Boss sd-1 it can produce a pretty good sounding distortion, tone, whatever. I dunno if it's true, so do you guys have any thoughts/experience using them together?
I really like the Overdrive so I'm not looking to replace it, thus the cheap ds-1 appeals to me. I'm just looking to expand my sounds a bit. I don't play to use it as a metal pedal either, just fatten up the rock/hard rock sound some.
Long Live Rock n' Roll
No. It'll be noisy and brittle as hell. I like both pedals but they do not stack well.

Check out a bd2 or tubescreamer. Either will fatten your tone a lil better than the sd1 and neither is quite as raunchy.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
what amp are you using. will cost you a bit more but look into a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive. has a mod switch that ups the gain so you can go from rock to a more hard rock/metal sound. of course this works best with a tube amp.
I'm using a couple different amps, mainly a Roland Jazz chorus though.
Long Live Rock n' Roll
honestly if you're already using a boss sd1, i'd not bother with ts-type pedals, they're too similar.

how cheap is the ds1 where you are and what other options do you have at a similar price?

what type of bands do you mean when you say "classic rock"?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's $40 new at Musiciansfriend and I wasn't looking to pay any more than that. Cheaper on eBay of course and I did consider it.
Bands with distorted rock such as GnR for example, Foo's. Living after Midnight Preist, etc. Y'know, nothing too metal.
I am happy with the Overdrive but it seems like it lacks a bit of ... well balls maybe? I'm just in the mood to experiment a bit.
Long Live Rock n' Roll
yep ok. it'll work. there might be some options which you think sound better, though- joyo crunch distortion springs to mind for g n r and judas priest. the boss is probably built better, though, and will last longer (not to mention probably hold its value better). but plenty of people would say the joyo sounds better (it's a crunchbox clone).

or digitech does a glorified ds1-type pedal, the hot head (it's a ds1 with a bass knob, more or less). might also be worth considering, if it's any cheaper (it is here in europe, not sure about the USA).

up to you, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?