Hi guys,

I've been playing bass for I a while and I am starting feeling that i'm a not a true musician without knowing any theory, i can play relatively good but I think it's not enough, my brother is 21 years old, he plays guitar since I was born, he's really good and he knows all that music theory that I can't understand. He could give me some lessons but he just doesn't has time for that, and there's not a good school in my area to teach me so, can someone tell some good youtube videos, channels or websites that can teach me?

I would be really thankful.
You can try here: http://www.justinguitar.com/ This man gives a free beginner's course, but it for guitar. But then, what is a bass but a big, ugly, guitar, tuned the same as a guitar's four bottom string, but an octave lower.

You still need to know chord theory with the bass, and everything else, (scales, keys, and the like), is identical.

A lot of people from here a tried that site, and liked it.
Quote by NoTreble
Hi guys,

I am starting feeling that i'm a not a true musician without knowing any theory

I don't want to discourage you from studying theory, but I do want discourage you from thinking that knowledge of music theory is the thing that makes one a true musician.

That said, Justins site isn't bad, and music theory.net is quite helpful as well. Whether you have the background to understand what they are talking about or not, I have no idea, but if you're not willing to spend any money on lessons, you might pick up a thing or 2 there.

There is always more to learn, so take in what you can and get rid of the "real/true musician" mentality, cause it never stands up to reality.
Thanks for the advice, I think you're kinda right, but the thing is that I want to know what I'm playing in my bass, I want understand music.
We also teach it online. The link is in my sig. If you have any questions, PM me or email me from the site and I can email you a course catalog. I agree with the others, and would say, that you're already a musician. Your mindset tells me that you care.

Theory can help open doors and explain things and make it so you understand the big picture, and improve your skills, and all of those are good things.

But, don't think that because you don't know it that you're not a real musician. Truth is, few know theory. Most musicians are functioning at a high level and don't know theory.

Best,

Sean
Quote by GuitarMunky
Since we're advertising I should mention that I teach private lessons via Skype. Sign up via PM here at UG or from my site....

http://www.discoverguitaronline.com

What you see as "advertising", I see as directly answering a subject that asked for information.

can someone tell some good youtube videos, channels or websites that can teach me?

My site is good and can teach him. You give Skype lessons, and that's also appropriate. Not sure why the "dig" there.

Sean
Appreciate it sean thanks, and yeah man, skype lessons is'nt quite good for me.