Hey guys, I play to ditch my head for gigs for a smaller portable rack mounted rig. Probably going to get a Line 6 POD or save up for an Axe FX. I'm most likely going to purchase the Rocktron Velocity 300 to power my cab. (I'm going to use the cab at home mainly and go direct when live)

I have a 412 cab loading with Celestion V30s, it runs at 16 Ohms mono and 8 ohms stereo, and I don't wanna get a new cab. The Rocktron Velocity and most other power amps I have seen run at 8 ohms mono, when using the cab I'm not bothered about stereo I just need it to run at 16 ohms mono.

Would using the Rocktron at 8 ohms going into my 16 ohm cab damage it? If so, can someone recommend an alternative? No higher than £400.
Quote by AJScott
Would using the Rocktron at 8 ohms going into my 16 ohm cab damage it? If so, can someone recommend an alternative? No higher than £400.

it won't damage it, the Rocktron is a SS power amp. it needs minimum of 8 ohm in bridged mode, but anything higher is fine, should just lower the output of the amp.

http://www.rocktron.com/velocity-300-rack.html

from that link

Output Power (Bridged) - 300 watts @ 8 ohms, 170 watts @ 16 ohms
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

According to the specs, you can run it at many different resistances. Unbridged (only using one of two channels) will power your 16 ohm cab with 37.5 watts. If you were to bridge the two channels you could get 170 watts at 16 ohms.

If I was doing that set up I'd run it in stereo. You'd be able to dial in a much more interesting tone that way.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Last edited by Lavatain at Nov 24, 2013,
Quote by Lavatain

According to the specs, you can run it at many different resistances. Unbridged (only using one of two channels) will power your 16 ohm cab with 37.5 watts. If you were to bridge the two channels you could get 170 watts at 16 ohms.

If I was doing that set up I'd run it in stereo. You'd be able to dial in a much more interesting tone that way.

Suppose I'd have to? 170 Watts doesn't sound too great when running into a 240 Watt cab, but I suppose that'll still crank it pretty loud.
Quote by AJScott
Suppose I'd have to? 170 Watts doesn't sound too great when running into a 240 Watt cab, but I suppose that'll still crank it pretty loud.

Unbridged 37.5 watts might be more manageable at low volumes. 170 watts into a 240 watt cab is plenty fine though. I run a 50 watt head into a 150 watt 2x12 cab.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
Unbridged 37.5 watts might be more manageable at low volumes. 170 watts into a 240 watt cab is plenty fine though. I run a 50 watt head into a 150 watt 2x12 cab.

Is that tube though? I am aware that solid state does not have the same ballsyness that tube does. I think I'll be fine anyway, cranking an amp with 170 Watts going into a cab should be plenty fine.
the tube watt vs. the solid state watt is clap trap, the technology may respond differently but the watt doesn't.

you also don't need to 'max-out' the power handling of a cab to get good sound. running you cab near it's power handling point will add some speaker distortion (which may or may not be preferable and completely depends on your tastes) but it would also be incredibly loud (even with just a 1x12 cab it'd be very loud).

for example, taking a conservative guitar speaker sensitivity rating of 95 dB, just running 50 watts through a 4x12 will output something like 106 dB. that is incredibly loud, and that is the reason most amps aren't run anywhere near their rated output.

your 170 watts from the rocktron through a V30 cab (100 dB sensitivity) will output as much as 116 dB, this is near the immediate pain threshold. there is no need for this amount of volume in just about any playing situation.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 24, 2013,
Quote by pinheadslts75
There's no reason to have mismatched impedances if you're using one cab

it would be a solid state amp so there would be no mismatched impedance, you'd just need to observe it's minimum impedance.

-ae