http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbxS1xp4OM0

Alright, so it's pretty simple and goes A5 - G5 - F#5 - G5 and back to A
Sounds minor to me and unless my ear ear is completely worthless the tonal center is A

So, just going by the chords that are being used there are the notes

A

C#
D
E
F#
G

Alright, so here's my first question
I've learned that it's the 3b in a minor scale that gives the whole scale that typical minor feel
However, in this case, the minor 3rd has been raised from C to C# - why does the whole thing still sound minor though?

Second Question
What scale is being used?

Edit:
Oh, I think I figured it out

is this A mixolydian?

Edit 2:

If it actually IS mixolydian, why does the whole jam still sound minor? Isn't mixolydian a major-sounding mode? (see my questiona bout the 3rd)
Is it because the lead guitar is using a minor scale over the mixolydian rhythm? Or am I going into the completely wrong direction here
Last edited by Elo01 at Nov 24, 2013,
It sounds minor because they use the b3 in the solo.

You could just say it's in A major, using b7 accidental (in the progression and b3 and b7 in the solo). That just gives it a bluesy sound. You get the bluesy sound by using minor scale notes over a major song.

You don't find the key by looking at the notes in the chords and building a scale. You need to listen to the chords. Let's take a chord progression like A-C-B-Bb. If you built a scale that used all chord tones, it would be the chromatic scale without the major 7th (G#). But if you listened to how it sounded like, it would be in A. That way you'll find the key - by listening to where it resolves to.

But good, you actually listened to it and found the tonal center.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
But even the very beginning of the jam, without any minor lead guitar, sounds more minor than major to me

Or maybe I'm just associating the b7 with "minor"

Oh well
Quote by Elo01
But even the very beginning of the jam, without any minor lead guitar, sounds more minor than major to me

Or maybe I'm just associating the b7 with "minor"

Oh well

Yeah. And maybe it's also because they are playing power chords. The beginning of the progression (A5-G5) sounds like minor and it starts to sound more like major when they play the F#5 chord. If they played full chords, it would sound like major all the time.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^ yeah

if they played the F5 instead of F#5 it'd sound more genuinely minor, to my ears anyway. to my ears it's more "bluesy/rocky" than out-and-out minor. in fact maybe it's even slightly more major to my ears than minor.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Naw man, I'm pretty sure it's 68.22% minor.

Either way, thanks for all the answers

Learned something new yet again
33.3% really

But yeah seriously, though, a lot of blues and rock progressions are kind of messing with the whole major/minor tonality. that's not to say some aren't totally major or minor, because some are, but a lot are kind of in-between.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
33.3% really .
Quote by Elo01
Naw man, I'm pretty sure it's 68.22% minor....[ ]...
You two realize, (I hope), that those figures add up to 101.55 percent, don't you....? ..or maybe...
I wouldn't really try to assign major/minor tonality to an A5-G5-F#5 progression. Just note that, with a progression like this, either G5 or F#5 are non-diatonic (depending on whether you assume it's major or minor).

If you don't know what diatonic chords are, just think of them as the "safe chords" built from the notes of the key signature.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Nov 25, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I wouldn't really try to assign major/minor tonality to an A5-G5-F#5 progression. Just note that, with a progression like this, either G5 or F#5 are non-diatonic (depending on whether you assume it's major or minor).
Well, if it's not diatonic it must be modal..... And so it begins....

(Are the four, "laughicons", enough to let you understand that I'm joking)?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 25, 2013,
^

Quote by Captaincranky
You two realize, (I hope), that those figures add up to 101.55 percent, don't you....? ..or maybe...

I just meant compared to 100%, I wasn't referring to his figure

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

yeah that's probably the safest way to do it. it probably has a sound of its own, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Considering the C# in the F#5 chord, you could use dorian or mixolydian. The dorian will get you a bluesy sound because of the C natural against the C#.

With power chords, you can almost always think of them as doubling the bass line. They don't really have major/minor quality themselves beyond whatever harmonies the roots imply.
F# and C#. The major 3rd and the major 7th of the key of Dmajor.

This sounds like a blues riff and the blues are all about Dominant7th chords. So, it's just a riff in A myxo, which is very common.
Quote by Captaincranky
Well, if it's not diatonic it must be modal..... And so it begins....

(Are the four, "laughicons", enough to let you understand that I'm joking)?

DEAR GOD NO!