I recently picked up a Joyo Ultimate Drive. With the gain up it has an audible hum that I suspect shouldn’t be there. This isn’t just high-gain noise, it’s more like a grounding problem, and it dampens considerably when I touch the strings. But this pedal is a higher-gain version of a pedal that’s just two stacked MXR distortions, so maybe it’s supposed to do this. Does anybody else have this problem with the Joyo Ultimate Drive?

Please don’t just post your opinions about Chinese pedals. I only need to hear from people who have actually used this pedal.
if it goes away when you touch your strings it means the hum i coming from your guitar and the joyo is amplifying it

if your guitar was quieterthis wouldnt happen make ure your guitar i properly sheilder

i have an ultimate drive its not very noisy but being a cheaper pedalthe qc might not be the best it can be and youmight just have a noisy one
Quote by supersac
if it goes away when you touch your strings it means the hum i coming from your guitar and the joyo is amplifying it

It happens with every guitar I try. And none of them hum with other pedals or no pedals.
Quote by jpnyc
It happens with every guitar I try. And none of them hum with other pedals or no pedals.

well i dunno it is a cheaper pedal mine is dead quiet

but itll happen with some pedals and whatnot if you use batteries or a good power supply i find that it really helps with the noise
It could be a grounding issue with the pedal itself.

I just pick up an ultimate drive last week, and mine has been working fine. If I crank the level up, I get a bit of a hum, but thats just from being so close to my amp.

Are you using a battery or power supply?

Can you exchange it?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
I've never had a problem with my UD, but I did once have a similar issue with another pedal (an EHX Big Muff Pi) that turned out to be caused by the power supply, so definitely check that first.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
never noticed much noise with mine, but then i never run the gain up full either
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The problem with Joyo is cheap components. The pedal won't be grounded properly - not compared to more expensive pedals - and will cause an audible hum, especially if you use more pedals.

There are 2 things you can do (without buying a load of new pedals); run everything off batteries or get an isolated power supply (something like the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2). Yeah, it's expensive, but it electronically isolates all of your pedals from each other, and completely removes any possibility of earth loops (this is want causes the noise). You will NEED something like this if you're running high gain at high levels. A noise suppressor too, if you don't have one.

There are other PSU that claim to be isolated, but my experience says Voodoo every time.

Hope that helps.
Quote by jpnyc
I recently picked up a Joyo Ultimate Drive. With the gain up it has an audible hum that I suspect shouldn’t be there. This isn’t just high-gain noise, it’s more like a grounding problem, and it dampens considerably when I touch the strings. But this pedal is a higher-gain version of a pedal that’s just two stacked MXR distortions, so maybe it’s supposed to do this. Does anybody else have this problem with the Joyo Ultimate Drive?

Please don’t just post your opinions about Chinese pedals. I only need to hear from people who have actually used this pedal.

So you're saying the pedal has been modded? Or you're stacking 3 overdrive/distortion in the chain?

Quote by richsession
The problem with Joyo is cheap components. The pedal won't be grounded properly - not compared to more expensive pedals - and will cause an audible hum, especially if you use more pedals.

I have a UD and have had no problems with it at all while being connected to other pedals or alone. They already compare them to more expensive pedals because they are a clone of those pedals, and they do a great job at it for a fraction of the price.

I'm curious though on how you say it's not grounded properly. Can you explain how it's not compared to more expensive pedals?
Mine works fine, perhaps you need to get yours replaced.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Blackfire.
So you're saying the pedal has been modded? Or you're stacking 3 overdrive/distortion in the chain?

I was referring to the circuit in the pedal. The Ultimate Drive is a clone of the Fulltone OCD, which supposedly based on stacked MXR distortions.
I just finished repairing my Joyo Flanger and found several dry joints. I gotta say, I now agree with Tim about these Joyo pedals. The build quality is shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah probably

but still for ~£20, it can let you try out circuits with your own rig to see if you like them. I mean I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not gonna spend £200 on a pedal which I don't even know I like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Unless of course one part of the circuit isn't even connected and it doesn't sound anything like it's supposed to.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
touché
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I eventually narrowed the problem down to this one pedal picking up interference from the lighting in the room.
Check the earth inside the pedal. Actually test it with a meter. Make sure everything inside there that should be earthed actually is. Also, sure it isn't a cable connected to it? Sounds like shit earth somewhere though.

Alternatively, change the light.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100