I should have gotten a pair of Equator D5's when I had the chance, now I have to sadly stare at the $400 price tag after realizing just how important a pair of monitors really are.

At the moment my budget's around $100 but I have a few other small things I'd like to pick up for the studio. Any recommendations on monitors under $100?
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Dual Gibson Humbuckers
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old Too Young (Folk/Bluegrass/Punk)
The Orange Line (Stoner Metal/Punk/Alternative)
Really doubting you can get a pair for that little. But look into the Behringer Truth series.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
That's disappointing. MF has a couple pairs but I don't wanna just wing it. At the moment I have a decent pair of headphones but as for speaker playback I've been plugging my 2i4 into my record player and the input is mono so it's not very ideal.
Gear:
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
You're going to spend 100 dollars on a multimedia speaker labeled as a monitor if you're looking for anything new. Even used, 100 dollars for monitors is a pretty far stretch.
..I was watching my death.
Would the pseudo-monitors be worth it? Or should I muscle it out til I can save up for a decent pair? It'll be a while.

If I start saving. When I originally was asking about what I would need to upgrade the studio, the Equator D5's were highly recommended on one of my threads. Should I still aim for these?
Gear:
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
I'd suggest getting some headphones instead. $100 will get you something decent-ish to mix on till you can afford monitors
I'd just use headphones under $300ish. Not really anything worth buying under that.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Muscle it out, the point which you can afford a pair will be worth it as you will put them to use for years ahead. Go too cheap, and you find yourself looking to buy monitors that you could've have just purchased right from the get go... I don't have expensive ears, the rokit 6's are a safe bet till you can later expand to some more expensive options.

I agree on having a great pair of cans I enjoy my ATH-M50s, great for tracking and their price, but I wouldn't go any lower. This way you can be less concerned with room treatment.
Last edited by Night at Nov 24, 2013,
^ Hmmm..... I'm hardly a gear snob, but I can't imagine paying any *less* than $300 for something usable. (and that's pretty much $300/ea, not for the pair)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Glad

it's

Your

Money

you did uses the term "usable" and price tag is more important then the sound at which point do yourr ears play apart in the decision ?

again I have a Pair of Cheap ikey 100watts and a pair of Yamaha HS-50 70 watts
there's little difference between them, but there is a difference, BUT IMO would improve the sound Far more by changing my room ( speaker placement, sound reflexion,etc etc) then spending $$$ on better monitors.
Last edited by T4D at Nov 26, 2013,
Watts don't really factor in here dude. The quality of the speakers do.

And to be honest there is a big difference dude.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
dude I never said watts made any difference ( I only got the cheaper ikey ones due to having more watts and being a bargain and worst case I could use them somewhere else in the house but when I got them home I was Very surprise they were extremely usable even right next to my Yamaha's )

and Dude What speakers do you have ? and why and how is there such a BIG difference ?

how many here with this high number Price = AMAZING Quality opinion have really sat down and listened to different speakers ? I did once at a music store between JBL, behringer, Alesis and I will admit mainly choosing the Yamaha's because they looked cool with those white speakers that i had seen in many studio photo's. sound wise it's was Very hard to find a preference with a blind test.

Hey if you have the money you may be better off spending it and feel confidence you have the BEST I sure did but then learnt the cheap ones are pretty good too.

but don't feel bad if you have to shop more wisely and look at the cheaper options from China or ebay (technically speaking some of these cheaper one have the same spec's so ?? what is the real difference ?)
Last edited by T4D at Nov 27, 2013,
I don't even have to do a blind test! It's not that hard to tell the difference between monitors... They have very distinct (and easy to hear) EQ curves.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by T4D
how many here with this high number Price = AMAZING Quality opinion have really sat down and listened to different speakers ?

Dude, I "downgraded" from a $5000 pair of Adams to my $700 Yamahas, cause they work a billion times better for me.

Do you have a treated room? The fact that you think that an 8" and 5" speaker sound even remotely close, to me, says you're mixing in an untreated room. The difference in low end should be huge. Either that, or those 8" speakers have a horrible frequency response, dude.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Dude, I "downgraded" from a $5000 pair of Adams to my $700 Yamahas, cause they work a billion times better for me.

Do you have a treated room? The fact that you think that an 8" and 5" speaker sound even remotely close, to me, says you're mixing in an untreated room. The difference in low end should be huge. Either that, or those 8" speakers have a horrible frequency response, dude.

+10000
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by MatrixClaw

Dude your EARS told you the Yamaha's at less then 20% the price of the Adams were better.

So Dude you agree with me, the Price does Not Matter it's about how and what you hear NOT the Brand or the price.

I'm not saying getting a Good pair at $100 will be easy, but I'm not going to agree with the opinion you HAVE TO spend $300+ to get "usable" monitors.

the whole point of monitors is a "Flat transparent output" ( No EQ AT ALL ), that is NOT impossible for the Cheaper end of the market to get near. specially when "total Flat transparent output" you won't get, even if you spend $5000+

if there was,. it would be a scientific fact that Brand "X" model "Y" is the best studio monitors. but there isn't,... so alot of this is just personal feelings, organic ears and marketing BS.
M-Audio StudioPro 3 on sale $89.99

Here is the link to Musicians Friend --- Hope this helps

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/m-audio-studiopro-3-desktop-audio-monitors
Gear
Rode NT1A mic | SM57 mic | MXL 990/991 | KRK Rokit Powered RP5 Monitors | Crybaby 535q | Jackson Randy Rhoads RR1 | B.C. Warlock | Gibson Acoustic | Yamaha Mixer | M-Audio Fast Track Pro |
Last edited by NMKeith74 at Nov 27, 2013,
Yes, room treatment is a major, major factor.

However, in the same room, I had been using a much cheaper pair of monitors (can't even remember what they were now), and when I upgraded to my Yorkville YSM-1's, the quality of my mixes improved vastly. I have no idea how many watts there are, FWIW - just that whenever I turn my volume up to about 3, they're plenty loud enough. I got them well over ten years ago and paid a little over $300/ea for them. They're by no means in the "gear snob" range.

It's not so much the specs on paper. It's the real world performance that counts, and part of that IS the room.

I'm really liking the sound of the HS-80's. A friend of mine has a pair that I've listened to, and my first impulse was, "Wow, these are really great monitors. I'm hearing my mixes really differently on these." The thing is, differently isn't necessarily better. I'd like to try them out actually using them in my room to see the difference. I might be impressed. I might be just... surprised... haha.

So, my advice to anyone shopping for monitors is to see if you can try out a pair. Mix something yourself in YOUR environment, and see if they do, indeed, help you make better mixes.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by T4D

how many here with this high number Price = AMAZING Quality opinion have really sat down and listened to different speakers ?

If I was shopping now, I would take my advice I stated above.

However, twelve years or whatever ago, I listened to (vaguely recalling)
  • M-audio BX something-or-other
  • Behringer Truth something-or-other
  • Mackie somethings
  • Tannoy Reveal
  • Yorkville YSM-1

Though I liked the Tannoys better, they were over twice the price and could not afford them. I used them, basically, as a point of reference for how close I could get to much more expensive monitors within my price range.

I don't remember any of the specifics about any of them, but to answer your question, I listened to virtually all of the competitive products in my range. The difference was noticeable - even in the store.

CT