1. MXL 550/551R vs. MXL 990/991

The only difference I can see in the specs is the 991's Freq Range is 30-18 and the 551 is 30 - 20. How big of a diffrence is this?

Here's the links to the mics in case I'm missing something:

550/551R : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mxl-550-551r-studio-microphone-kit#productDetail

990/991 : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mxl-990-991-recording-microphone-package#productDetail

2. Does the 2i4 have phantom power?

The 550/551 package 'requires' phantom power and I don't want to buy something I can't use. With how recommended the 2i4 is here I'd assume it has it.
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Dual Gibson Humbuckers
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old Too Young (Folk/Bluegrass/Punk)
The Orange Line (Stoner Metal/Punk/Alternative)
1. Neither are good. I've used a 990 and it was an awful harsh mic. No experience with the 550.

2. It does. Both sets require phantom power, by the way - they're all condenser mics.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
For $70 and little recording experience, I'm sure either would be a huge step up from my garbage Peavey PVi100r. But thanks for the response.
Gear:
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Given the choice, and depending on your applications, I'd recommend going with a mic with extended high frequency capabilities. It'll make vocals sound crisper and more alive. On the other hand, if you're using it to mic cymbals, you wouldn't want that high end, as it'll pick up more of the harsh overtones. What are you using your mic for?
Everything. Amps, acoustics, vocals, drums, etc.
Gear:
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Honestly, both are junk - spend a few dollars extra and buy an MXL V67G. I'm actually REALLY impressed by this mic... For $85, you really can't beat it. It really excels at vocals... but even as an all-around mic, will kill the two cheapo MXLs in those packages. It's not a mic you'd likely replace quickly, either. I bought it on recommendation from a friend who runs a high-end studio and has access to $2000+ mics on a regular basis. Much to my surprise, it's quite nice sounding. Still, I prefer my two Stellar tube mics... but they also cost 4 - 5 times more

Quote by scorpio2billion
Given the choice, and depending on your applications, I'd recommend going with a mic with extended high frequency capabilities. It'll make vocals sound crisper and more alive. On the other hand, if you're using it to mic cymbals, you wouldn't want that high end, as it'll pick up more of the harsh overtones. What are you using your mic for?

Kinda depends on what he's going for, really. If he wants a warmer vocal tone, I'd say the extended frequencies would be more detrimental than not, especially on a cheap Chinese-made mic. Cheap mics like this tend to have a hyped, extended, high end that sounds harsh and cheap. On a higher end mic, the extended range might be a good idea, but on something this cheap, I'd probably go for something with a more rolled off top
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com