Hey guys, I just started playing guitar seriously this fall when I got to college (went from an hour or two on weekends for two years to 5+ hours a day for the past three months) and needless to say my parents were shocked when I got home at the improvements ive made. They have offered to buy me some new gear and I speculate I have a budget of around $500. I would like to have a set up in my dorm consisting of a small amp (under 20W) and maybe a few pedals or a multi effects unit or something. Do you guys have any recommendations for a low budget set up? I have an Agile Al 3000 that is absolutely gorgeous and plays phenomenally for the price, though that's another story . Please let me know what you guys would recommend.

As a side note, are there any videos or anything that could help me make some form improvements or improve my soloing? Ive taught myself up to this point and can pick up most songs pretty easily (can play solos to most GNR, Metallica, etc) but there are still a bunch of songs that give me trouble.
for practice amps, these are pretty hard to beat, especially at dorm volume levels. They make a classic model for more vintage sounds or a higher gain model, for metal and the like.

the base model
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un-BYGuvnyY

the classic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf8lxKKj5VI

the x
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV6Bfb_ZtNM
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
I've never heard of those look interesting tho. Any experience with them (particularly the basic one)?
Last edited by ericw95 at Nov 25, 2013,
Zoom G3 ($170 brand new) and a Bugera V22 ($380 brand new). This will give you plenty of effects to mess around with, a lightweight but decent sounding and gigable amp, and the best part is, since you're in a dorm, you can just practice with headphones and the G3 if you need to be silent. That is $50 over your budget, but with some wheeling and dealing or a coupon at a retailer, you can easily get 10%-15% knocked off.

If you're willing to go used, look for a Peavey Classic 30 combo on your local craiglist. They're always popping up for sale, and you can snag one for $300 or less.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I have been looking into the zoom and it seems well received. Also, that bugera is a steal if it's really as good as reviews say. Will definitely look at this week at local guitar center. As a side note, how do the POD software and related products perform? I have a line 6 amp and it is alright (nothing spectacular) but is the software any better?
Last edited by ericw95 at Nov 25, 2013,
Quote by ericw95
I've never heard of those look interesting tho. Any experience with them (particularly the basic one)?

The basic one is the only one I can speak for from personal experience it feels pretty tube-ish, I play it almost every time I go into guitar center and it rocks, great practice amp. I plan on getting the THR10x for Christmas, specifically for dorm room/apartment jamming.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
pod hd500. play through headphones or powered moniters in the dorm. when want more volume, get a wedge, when you gig you should be able to go right into the board. should take you a long ways.

spiders are terrible, honestly. almost everybody here would tell you. Line 6 makes a lot better products especially now with the HD500X.

this is probably the one time i say this in a month, go digital.

tube amps are generally louder and you may piss some people off. 1 watt through a single 12" Celestion Vintage speaker is 100db one meter away. that is near damaging hearing.

yes volume knobs do exist, but sometimes you can't go low enough. i own my two houses and can play all night at a reasonable with my wife and she is fine, but i can't use just any amp, but its far different sized than a dorm room/apartment.

i like tube amps myself. but everybody's situation is different.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ericw95
I have been looking into the zoom and it seems well received. Also, that bugera is a steal if it's really as good as reviews say. Will definitely look at this week at local guitar center. As a side note, how do the POD software and related products perform? I have a line 6 amp and it is alright (nothing spectacular) but is the software any better?

The POD line (especially the newer HD units) are in a totally different universe than the Spider amps. The only reason I would ever recommend staying away from them is that they can be complex to navigate. However, if you're a tinkerer and read the manual, I'm sure you won't have any issues if you end up with a POD (I like stupid simple stuff, and that's what I enjoyed about the Zoom G3).

And to answer your other thought, the Bugera is an excellent amp. Do keep your receipt and register it for the warranty, because they are an inexpensive amp and things do happen. However, when you read about reliability issues with Bugera, it's almost always their other amps that are clones of big name amps. I never had an issue with gigging my V22, and I've never seen a post about reliability issues with it.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
The POD line (especially the newer HD units) are in a totally different universe than the Spider amps. The only reason I would ever recommend staying away from them is that they can be complex to navigate. However, if you're a tinkerer and read the manual, I'm sure you won't have any issues if you end up with a POD (I like stupid simple stuff, and that's what I enjoyed about the Zoom G3).

And to answer your other thought, the Bugera is an excellent amp. Do keep your receipt and register it for the warranty, because they are an inexpensive amp and things do happen. However, when you read about reliability issues with Bugera, it's almost always their other amps that are clones of big name amps. I never had an issue with gigging my V22, and I've never seen a post about reliability issues with it.

honstly i am not familar with the V22. but you can get a peavey classic sub-$300 any day and they are quality amps that will last a very long time. peavey makes good stuff.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
pod hd500. play through headphones or powered moniters in the dorm. when want more volume, get a wedge, when you gig you should be able to go right into the board. should take you a long ways.

This is exactly what I came to recommend.

Splurge the little extra, get the HD500X. You'll be thankful for the extra processing power when you get around to trying to make crazy patches.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
This is exactly what I came to recommend.

Splurge the little extra, get the HD500X. You'll be thankful for the extra processing power when you get around to trying to make crazy patches.

yea i meant the X, i am just not used to typing the X in there as its new LOL.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Is there any speaker that will work with the POD 500x? Can you run an output line to a small amp or something? I currently have my guitar running through the computer but the speakers I have it hooked up to are absolutely awful for guitar XD again I really appreciate the suggestion guys!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
honstly i am not familar with the V22. but you can get a peavey classic sub-$300 any day and they are quality amps that will last a very long time. peavey makes good stuff.

I've gigged quite a bit with both. I usually just recommend those two because sometimes people really stray away from buying used, and you just never know if there will happen to be a Peavey for sale (Locally I saw them every day until I decided I wanted to buy one, then I had to wait for months for one to pop up).
Just my opinion but for ts's situation, I'd take the G3 over the hd500x. He's only practicing in a dorm and a G3 is a third of the cost. That leaves plenty of money for an amp, food, drugs, etc. I'd bet both units are pretty similar when used in such a limited environment.

However, no harm in sporting better gear.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Hey guys, sorry one more question. I managed to get a fantastic deal on a new pod hd500x so my dad is gonna go ahead and get me that. How do you guys run that sound wise? Any particularly good speakers that might work for it? A friend had a ux1 and ran it through normal speakers and burned them out pretty quick XD
Quote by ericw95
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-pa-kpc10mp-10-powered-monitor-speaker?pfm=sp for instance, would something like this work at moderate volumes in conjunction with the pod hd500x by itself (no additional preamp, power amp, etc.) just this speaker plus the pod unit?

Yup, that'll do. May be a very killer dorm rig. Def do a NGD. Im curious as to how the multifx-modeler/ floor wedge set up works out. Esp with a good modeler.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
[
Yup, that'll do. May be a very killer dorm rig. Def do a NGD. Im curious as to how the multifx-modeler/ floor wedge set up works out. Esp with a good modeler.

Yeah I'm pretty excited to see what happens as well. Won't get the pod till Christmas but will definitely have it set up that morning haha. Sorry, but what's a NGD exactly?