Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. I am having trouble isolating where I am getting buzzing through my amp(s) and wanted to see if there was some other tips / tricks to solve this.

I have a double fat strat and telecaster, Yamaha THR10C, Mustang 3. I have a pedalboard running a OneSpot into about 4 pedals, separate adapters on the rest. All plugged into a Monster power surge.

Running straight into the amps, there is still buzzing on both guitars, with ALL my cables (Monster cables, nothing crazy, but I thought decent quality). The THR10C can be battery powered, and I hear a slight buzz when on batteries as well with both guitars.

Sounds like it could be the cables, but I can't determine how they're at fault - no static, no intermittent cut in signal, etc.

Anything else I should be considering or trying to do? I tried in a different outlet (no surge) in the apartment and the buzzing was still there.

Thanks!
Matt
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
if you remove the pedal board do you still have noise?

Remove all the pedals from the signal chain. Add 1 pedal at a time until you find where the noise comes in. It may be the power or the cables or a combo of both
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hi Robb - thanks for the tip and my apologies for just getting back to this - it's been a busy month.

I tried a few things while I could today and found this.

Everything is still plugged into a decent Monster power supply. When ONLY the amp is on (nothing connected to it) I get a static noise around 5 on the master of a Mustang 3.

When I plug in ONLY the "Send" instrument cable from my effects loop chain that's where the buzz starts. Interestingly, the 2 of the 4 pedals in that particular chain were not plugged into power. They are a looper (unpowered at the time), Hall of Fame, M9 (unpowered at the time), and MXR delay.

Does this mean that one of the pedals is still the culprit or perhaps a cable? I have only 4 Monster Cables and they seem to be in good shape - I have no other cables to test this with.

I am so puzzled about this!
set up your pedals with the M5 the last in the chain. activate the noisegate on the M5 and see if that helps bring the noise down.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hi Robb,

Thanks - and it helps but only a tad. I also have a noise gate setting in the Mustang 3 and the results are the same.

I have unplugged everything from the walls and only plugged in the amp and it still buzzes. I have tried 2 guitars - 1 tele and 1 strat with humbuckers - the buzzing is still there (obviously louder with the single coils).

I have tried the amp all over the house. I have tried multiple cables and it buzzes even with a cable plugged in and when I put my hand to the input tip. So I hope this rules out cables and guitars.

Is it worth calling an electrician at this point or could it still be my actual equipment?
It's not just this amp though. One other Fender Mustang 3, a Yamaha modeler and a tube amp all have done this.
have you tried a different wall socket?
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Yup - sorry if my posts a few notches up wasn't clear - this happens in 3 of the outlets in the bedroom (with the lights off) and 2 areas in the living room that I can get to a plug.
Far fetched - but IF IT IS a grounding issue it could be one with your house wiring. Doubt it though if you have another amp try using that one with the same guitar, pedals cables etc. and see if there's a difference.
This way you can see if it's your rig or the amp. What kind of amp are you using? Solid or tube?
Quote by sixstringedmatt
Yup - sorry if my posts a few notches up wasn't clear - this happens in 3 of the outlets in the bedroom (with the lights off) and 2 areas in the living room that I can get to a plug.

Try different outlets around your house. Are there any other things pluged in like a computer, microwave? If so unplug them also and try it.

Can you try it at a friends house? It sounds like your house has dirty power possibly.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate