I'm window-shopping for a new amp. Just trying to narrow down some future amp possibilities.

Budget? - $2000, under would be better, could stretch a bit more though

Favorite Artists/Genres? - Russian Circles, Protest the Hero, Foo Fighters, Minus the Bear, Alexisonfire, Karnivool, Mastodon (Crack the Skye), Steve Wilson, Reign of Kindo, Scale the Summit.

Styles of music I play: Post-rock/metal, hardcore, prog-rock/metal, rock, shoe-gaze, jazz.

Preferences? - Tube, at least 50 watts. The Axe-FX II looks cool, but I think I'd like to have an old-school tube amp.

New or Used? - New. I live in a very small town, pop. 6000 in central Canada, so used isn't very economic for me.

Location? - Flin Flon, Canada

Current Gear? - See sig below.

I feel like I could upgrade my speakers as well to Greenbacks..? I'd like to stay with a 2x12 though.

I've been really digging Russian Circles, Crack the Skye and Karnivool. I'm looking for quite a bit of versatility as well. I won't be getting rid of the Engl and will most likely use it in my rig when I get an A/B/Y pedal. I feel like my music styles are about 60-65% higher gain to 35-40% clean.

I've been reading a bit into Verellen amps (the Skyhammer, Loucks, and Coop in particular), that Russian Circles plays through, and they seem really neat. The Mesa Mark V looks cool as well, but is $500 more than the Skyhammer, before shipping. I don't mind my Engl, maybe I just need something with more power like a Fireball or Thunder head. Marshalls seem interesting too, but it seems like everyone and their grand-dad plays a Marshall, probably because they are so good.

The band that I've been playing with for the last 5 summers is a 3 piece with a keyboardist and a drummer, with me being the guitarist. I'm also testing out a 4 piece band with a drummer, bassist singer/guitar player, and me.

Any suggestions, great GG&A?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
I have a Laney iron heart. We kind of have similar taste in music so I would recommend this one. The clean channel is good enough for almost everything (of course is not the sound of a old fender or a 70s vox, but its very good and warm sounding). Lead channel is just a just mean, dark a crushing. Take a look to that series, 100% recommended
ever looked into a slpawn nitro? cleans aren't that bad, but the overdrive is insane, i really like it. i picked mine up for $1050 shipped. that is a really good deal, they go for more but i am sure you could find one for <$1200-$1300. and money in your pocket for something else.

it just hits. not only that, during arpegiated chords sing clear through the OD channel even with the gain pretty much all the way up. i like the clarity. but it doesn't hide your mistakes. it is very unforgiving but i love it. also it has a switchable volume boost you can dial in and turn on from footswitch and OD1/OD2 as well on the footswitch.

IMO it is my personal favorite gain amp, trumps my other amps in terms of gain. (most of my amps in my signature)

however i am not sure if it is the clean you want. thats the only potential downfall from you. but again you should have and extra $500 for some other toy.

looked into Rivera? i have kind of been wanting one of those lately.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
How about a Soldano or Fargen? Haven't looked into them yet, but iirc they're both a more boutique-y brand and I think metal guys use them...

Anymore thoughts on Laney's?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Maybe a Laney VH100R or the Splawn trashed recommended. Mastodon seemed to have a "Laney phase" for awhile.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Jcm-800 sounds right to me. Karnivool used heaps of different amps on thier last album, but im pretty sure the 800 was featured heavily. You can get it modded if you want it to be more aggresive, I know story of the year use modded jcm 800s. Id also look at upgrading from the htv212. They're not bad for a budget cab, but mdf with those blackbird speakers arent gonna do any of the amp heads your looking at any favours. Even with greenbacks in it, the timber used in a cab effects tone as much as the timber used in the guitar, and if you want that texhnical snappy prog sound the mdf will just dull it
ABY a Marshall JCM800/DSL and a Mesa Roadster.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Jcm800, Sovtek MIG, Oranger Thunderverb.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Imho jcm2000 is the best amp if you can find it , if not I think it all depends on exactly what you want. The 5150 combo is a very cheap alternative to a stack. My suggestion is just try to play as much as you can. Im in canada as well and I personally play a traynor ycs90 combo (its a canadian company you might be able to get in your area) The amp is another good cheap alternative.
Quote by tonehunter1992
Imho jcm2000 is the best amp if you can find it , if not I think it all depends on exactly what you want. The 5150 combo is a very cheap alternative to a stack. My suggestion is just try to play as much as you can. Im in canada as well and I personally play a traynor ycs90 combo (its a canadian company you might be able to get in your area) The amp is another good cheap alternative.

i don't think he wants a cheap alternative, he is at the botique price range. it would be idiotic to cheap out IF he is wanting to lay the cash out and he appears to be, he wants a good amp.

diamond nitrox? i was looking for demos of one recently, haven't played one, but they are sounding really good.

splawn is nitro
diamond is nitrox

don't want to confuse you.

orange thunderverbs are pure secks. i haven't ever spent that much on an amp yet, i have never paid a grand for any piece of gear i have, so . but i have messed with a thunderverb 100 at GC, many times, i have always liked them. however you either love orange, or hate them. they are very unique. i like them.

how are mesa prices in Canada? you could get a used road king on a lucky day, roadster, MKV, MKIV (i have one). i love my mesas.

hae you looked at VHT/Fryette, the pitbull are great amps. i own a Sig:X which i love, and is extremely flexible and i like three channel amps in general, but pitbulls are great.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Of course I would love to spend the least amount possible with the greatest return, so if its under budget, great.

This would be where I would be shopping at: http://www.long-mcquade.com/departments/215/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Amp_Tube_Head.htm

I'm not sure if I like Orange. The demos of most of them seem kinda muddy, and more towards the classic rock side than modern rock/metal.

The Mark V is a bit over my budget for how well I think I can play, haha. They're $2399 iirc. The VHT/Freyettes seem pretty cool, but I wouldn't be able to try it in person, and for 2k, I want to try the amp.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
You might like the Soldano Hot Rod 100 Plus.

The Tremoverb is also very good and way under your budget.

Check out the Rivera KTre or KR100/KR7 ... awesome Cleans to brootz, except it takes a bit to dial.

It's not too popular here but the Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MK II is loads of fun and has it's unique sound going.
Quote by Ippon
You might like the Soldano Hot Rod 100 Plus.

The Tremoverb is also very good and way under your budget.

Check out the Rivera KTre or KR100/KR7 ... awesome Cleans to brootz, except it takes a bit to dial.

It's not too popular here but the Hughes & Kettner TriAmp MK II is loads of fun and has it's unique sound going.

$750 for the tremoverb i bought last week.

I like Rivera especially with the good high gains with good cleans.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by AWACS
I'm not sure if I like Orange. The demos of most of them seem kinda muddy, and more towards the classic rock side than modern rock/metal.

That is why you boost it. Which is something you would eventually end up doing for metal tones anyways.

Orange + OD =

You can have pretty much any amp in that shop if you go used.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I don't have a problem going used, (as long as its in good condition of course) but the closest Long and McQuade or Quest Musique (boutique-y guitar store) is in Winnipeg, Manitoba, an 8 hour drive and ~$1000 plane ticket.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
something from mesa?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Any thoughts on the Carvin Legacy 3?

And when I do upgrade my cab, I'm planning to go with a Voltage cabinet; they're a custom instrument cabinet maker out of Winnipeg.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by tonehunter1992

I think there would be better options out there for mastodon etc.when suggesting a 5150. That being said, Karnivool play with a 5150 and jcm 900
I'll have to take a look at the JCM900, and the Mesa Mark V or IV if I can find one used or something. I would still love to get my hands on a Verellen, but I'm sure the shipping would kick my butt.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
I'll have to take a look at the JCM900, and the Mesa Mark V or IV if I can find one used or something. I would still love to get my hands on a Verellen, but I'm sure the shipping would kick my butt.

JCM900's realy aren't that great. they have the SS components and they just don't do anything really well on anything. however some people love them for punk . SLX's are nice though, just not the others.

mark IV's are a solid all around amps. i picked mine up for $750 IIRC (i think a tad less, but its been a while)

i have played the MKV's and i like them a lot. i would probably trade mine for MKV straight across (which wouldn't happen anyway), but IMHO they both have pro's and con's.

if you want stellar cleans, definitely the MKV i rarely use cleans, so that isn't a big deal to me, but there are other pluses and minuses about both.

what brought me to the MKIV was that i felt it was a little heavier (IMO) and half the price.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Depending on how much I may get for my Engl (I would guess $600...?) I may get a Mark V. Both Long and McQuade and Quest Musique, my local boutique-y guitar store, have pretty bad websites and I can't really see what used gear they have.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive