Good evening, Hoping for some info on an Amp I just bought. It's a Music man and the logo in the lower right hand corner says 212HD and 130 under that.
The nomenclature tag says chassis # 2475-130 and the serial # is Cxxx236 and then 130watts RMS. I'm thinking a 1975 model but not sure .

It reminds me of a friends Fender Twin Reverb ......
Quote by LesnLeo
Good evening, Hoping for some info on an Amp I just bought. It's a Music man and the logo in the lower right hand corner says 212HD and 130 under that.
The nomenclature tag says chassis # 2475-130 and the serial # is Cxxx236 and then 130watts RMS. I'm thinking a 1975 model but not sure .

i have one of those. nice amps. is yours the model with the SS or tube phase inverter? mine has the tube PI and from my understanding there are less around. you are pretty close to mine year (at my other house right now so i can't get numbers off of it).

:heers: HNGD. post pic and review.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
here is mine, sorry for the wife;s decor we are both under 30, but she has a thing about vintage furniture.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Wow that is exactly like the one I just bought. Nice Axes Too. Any way to date these amps? I gave 4 presidents for mine and was tickled . Also it has E34L RUBY tubes in it ,I assume they are stock for this amp.....
Quote by LesnLeo

don't know how much you know about music man, but the company is tied to leo fender.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Man_(company)

more specifically, your amp is from the ~'76 to '79 time period. it should have a badge with a silver background and a black foreground. the only way i have found to get a solid date for the production of the amp is to pull the chassis and look on the printed circuit board of the amp.

the amp should have a hand marked inscription of the date of inspection and the inspector's initials:

that is from my '79 115-65, you'll notice the "9-14-79" and "RME" on it. that will tell you the final inspection date.

the amps tend to have alot of headroom and not much distortion available. your version most likely has tremelo and reverb, the 'non-effects' models can be used as bass amps as well and tend to have a bit more gain on tap. the amps also have a solid state preamp with a tube power section.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 24, 2013,
Leo - gumbi is god when it comes to music man amps. he was part of the reason they got put on my radar. found a really good deal and ran with it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
It's Joe Strummer's amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Leo - gumbi is god when it comes to music man amps. he was part of the reason they got put on my radar. found a really good deal and ran with it.

your's is missing one of the badges

i originally got into them because they were so cheap to pick up.

for some reason people liked debadging them. they also seemed to like the change the speakers out.

i forgot to mention the 70's versions of the music man amps tended to run either eminence squarebacks or alnico speakers. the 2x12 combo will usually run the A12 (alnico 12) version and imo are a great speaker. i hope they kept the speakers stock.

-ae
Quote by LesnLeo
Wow that is exactly like the one I just bought. Nice Axes Too. Any way to date these amps? I gave 4 presidents for mine and was tickled . Also it has E34L RUBY tubes in it ,I assume they are stock for this amp.....

i think its a 6L6 based originally. not to say it couldn't be modded for EL34's. Ruby tubes are a relable, get the codes off of one of them to know what you have for sure.

and gumbi is correct that is they do have trem and reverb. the reverb on twins are better though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Trashed, I see why Haha. thanks for your input and your house looks fine LOL!
Gumbi, I also have the original "reverb and tremolo" foot pedal with it. I may take it apart and check the circuit board for a date maybe I'll just play it. It sure sounds good on bright with my Strat.
Quote by gumbilicious
your's is missing one of the badges

i originally got into them because they were so cheap to pick up.

for some reason people liked debadging them. they also seemed to like the change the speakers out.

i forgot to mention the 70's versions of the music man amps tended to run either eminence squarebacks or alnico speakers. the 2x12 combo will usually run the A12 (alnico 12) version and imo are a great speaker. i hope they kept the speakers stock.

which badge?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
which badge?

Top left "Music Man"

Also mine has the MM stickers on the magnets.
Quote by LesnLeo
Trashed, I see why Haha. thanks for your input and your house looks fine LOL!
Gumbi, I also have the original "reverb and tremolo" foot pedal with it. I may take it apart and check the circuit board for a date maybe I'll just play it. It sure sounds good on bright with my Strat.

honestly i don't think i have touched the amp in 6 months. id is covered in the closet of my other house (don't feel bad, but there are four gibsons in there as well as another few guitars). i have a lot of amps, but i have two go to clean amps that are great, and i really dont play clean often. when i get my computer figured out as far as recording goes, then it will come out for some cleans.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by LesnLeo
Top left "Music Man"

Also mine has the MM stickers on the magnets.

that sucks. but to me it doesn't really matter. its a keeper. so i don't have to worry about that. if it was something i was selling i would probably be a little irritated

are you sure yours are EL34's?

gumbi?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i think its a 6L6 based originally. not to say it couldn't be modded for EL34's. Ruby tubes are a relable, get the codes off of one of them to know what you have for sure.

and gumbi is correct that is they do have trem and reverb. the reverb on twins are better though.

the 70's versions used phillips 6CA7's stock, which are pretty much EL34's. the 80's versions switched to the 6L6GC's.

there are a few head versions of the HD-130 that came with no effects.

these are my music man amps. '77 HD-130 head with no effects and tube PI, the '79 115-65 with squareback 15" speaker and an '81 HD212-150 with the C12 (ceramic 12") speakers.

you can see the badge you are missing on your amp

also notice the difference in badge color schemes between the 70's and 80's versions

Quote by LesnLeo

the original pedals for the trem and rev are a little rare for those amps too.

clapton was known to play these amps in the 70's and he performed some mods on the 'bright' switch that was (from what i understand) incorporated in the 80's models. i will agree the bright switch is a bit more favorable in the 80's models.

the mod had to do with making the bright switch volume independent. evidently when you crank the amp to higher volumes on the 70's version the bright switch will have a more intensive effect and the clapton mod made the bright switch flat across volume ranges.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 25, 2013,
Trashed, I just checked again. Ruby E34L-CZ on the tubes. Like you, I really don't care whether or not they are stock. I'm more curious than anything. It's a keeper for me.
Gumbi, you certainly know your MM's Thanks for your help and info
Those are JJ EL34L. Good tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah, the 70's versions came 6CA7 tubes stock, which is pretty much the american designation for EL34's. so EL34's are usually the common replacement for 70's music man amps.

my 115-65 has stock phillips tubes. the HD-130 has EL34's in it

-ae
Quote by LesnLeo
Trashed, I just checked again. Ruby E34L-CZ on the tubes. Like you, I really don't care whether or not they are stock. I'm more curious than anything. It's a keeper for me.

i don't think you got what i meant. i may haven't been clear. ruby doesn't make tubes. they buy and relable as thier own. if you get the code off of the tube you can look it up.

Gumbi, i see the missing badge, but i swear mine was 6L6, but now you have me wondering. the amp is completely stock.

edit: nevermind.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Nov 25, 2013,
I just looked again and he magnets on the speakers are square . Is this right? with an Amp of this vintage 30+ yrs old and possibly several owners ,who knows what might have been done to it. LOL It sure sounds good and that's the main thing.
Quote by LesnLeo
I just looked again and he magnets on the speakers are square . Is this right? with an Amp of this vintage 30+ yrs old and possibly several owners ,who knows what might have been done to it. LOL It sure sounds good and that's the main thing.

sounds right. has it been recapped if you can tell?

do you have the 12ax7 (ECC83) or not?

oh and post some pics up if you can. i would love to see it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Gumbi, i see the missing badge, but i swear mine was 6L6, but now you have me wondering. the amp is completely stock.

oh, then you probably have these phillips tubes with this greenish writing on them. probably 6CA7's. nice tubes btw.

the only reason my HD-130 doesn't have the stock tubes is because the seller harvested them for a hi-fi.

Quote by LesnLeo

this is the alnico speaker. it has a squarish looking cover over the magnet.

the actual squareback speaker will look more like:

btw, i googled "115-65 music man" and a number of pictures were from my profile.

i guess there is not a whole lotta info on these amps out there.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
oh, then you probably have these phillips tubes with this greenish writing on them. probably 6CA7's. nice tubes btw.

the only reason my HD-130 doesn't have the stock tubes is because the seller harvested them for a hi-fi.

this is the alnico speaker. it has a squarish looking cover over the magnet.

the actual squareback speaker will look more like:

btw, i googled "115-65 music man" and a number of pictures were from my profile.

i guess there is not a whole lotta info on these amps out there.

yes on the tubes. i do remember that. now that you mention that. they look ancient, for a tube with mildly faded green writing. i will try to get back to you when i drag it out.

Leo i want pics!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Gonna show my ignorance now Trashed , I do not know what recapped means but the cabinet and hardware are original as far as I can tell. As for the 12ax7 I checked and that's what it is.
I saw another label inside the cab. and it had the tube "layout" and listed them as EL34 with 6CA7 under that.....
Gumbi, I have the Alnico's
Last edited by LesnLeo at Nov 25, 2013,
Quote by LesnLeo
Gonna show my ignorance now Trashed , I do not know what recapped means but the cabinet and hardware are original as far as I can tell. As for the 12ax7 I checked and that's what it is.
I saw another label inside the cab. and it had the tube "layout" and listed them as EL34 with 6CA7 under that.....

recapped = replacing the old filter capacitors

older capacitors didn't last too long, new capacitors have a much longer life span. most my older amps have been recapped out of necessity. also called a cap job

the 12AX-7 will have a cover over it. the power tubes will not. so a 12AX-7 should either look like this:

or the cover should look like

you saw something like that? the means it is probably a 77 or 76

-ae
Quote by LesnLeo

your not being ignorant if you ask a question that you don't know the answer to. that is the process of learning. thats what i like to see.

believe me you stay around for a while you will see plenty of ignorance
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by gumbilicious

you saw something like that? the means it is probably a 77 or 76

i always forget when that was gumbi i think i have asked you several times. i do have the 12AX7 on mine. so i will try to remember that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Gumbi , yes I pulled that tube just now and it says 12ax7a on it , It also has the metal cover.
Quote by LesnLeo
Gumbi , yes I pulled that tube just now and it says 12ax7a on it , It also has the metal cover.

cool. you got it as good as it gets. 100% identical to mine minus the logo... lol.

have some fun with the amp and post a pic.

here is a deal, you get a pic posted up and i will show you some of my amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
oh, you post pics by this format

*[*i*m*g*]*link*

just remove the */asterisks from my example.

i tend to use dropbox now-a-days for my links, but you can post links from your profile.

-ae
OK Will do. I tried to post a pic but it wouldn't show for some reason . I'll work on it tomm. Enjoyed the chat with everyone ...... Shiny side up!