So recently i got my hands on a van Halen style customized strat.After Installing new strings i noticed that that intonation was way off.When in tune the guitar showed F on high E string 12th fret .I have already done the following but still intonation is off by 40 cents on all strings.

1.Removed saddle springs.Saddles are now in contact with the bridge.
2.Adjusted neck relief.Truss rod nut is as loose as it can be.
3.Added an extra spring to the bridge so it doesn't float at all.
4.Action is as low as possible.

Is there any other way i can get a little closer to the perfect intonation so that at-least my notes would sound fine when playing live with my band ?
don't loosen the truss rod like that. that can cause major damage.

is it a partscaster?

who made the body? if its somebody from ebay, they probably sent you a cheap piece of shit. thats why i never advise 'cutomized' or 'modded' or 'unknown' anything.

i don't buy modded guitars (other than electronics that doesn't bother me) i advise that occasionally for others.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I think your bridge is too near your neck. If your scale length is wrong, all your frets will be out of tune. For example if your neck is for 25.5 inch scale length but your actual scale length is just 24 inches, it will be out of tune no matter what you do (unless you move the bridge).

Also, you shouldn't adjust truss rod like that. I'm pretty sure your neck is pretty bowed. Your neck should be almost straight. And if you get no fret buzz on the low frets, you shouldn't add relief.

Measure your scale length (I guess the scale length should be 25.5 inches like in all Stratocasters) and if it's not right, you would need to move the bridge - though I'm not sure how it should be done. Maybe it would just be easier to buy a new guitar.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Nothing you did was right, if there's an intonation problem you should only be checking your nut and adjusting your bridge. If you've not destroyed your neck take it to a guitar shop because you sound extremely under qualified to set up an instrument
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off
Quote by trashedlostfdup
don't loosen the truss rod like that. that can cause major damage.

is it a partscaster?

who made the body? if its somebody from ebay, they probably sent you a cheap piece of shit. thats why i never advise 'cutomized' or 'modded' or 'unknown' anything.

i don't buy modded guitars (other than electronics that doesn't bother me) i advise that occasionally for others.

The body is from an aria pro guitar and it has a maple fender neck fitted into it
Quote by outlaw92
The body is from an aria pro guitar and it has a maple fender neck fitted into it

A Fender neck may not fit an Aria body perfectly. I would say measure your scale length. If it's not 25.5 inches, you are never going to get it in tune. At least not with that neck.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by outlaw92

you don't know what you are doing, so don't do it.

its probably trashed.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you don't know what you are doing, so don't do it.

its probably trashed.

lol...........bro its not trashed , its one of the fastest necks i've played ever , the problem only comes when i go towards the 12 fret.The notes from then of sound a bit sharp , but i'm determined to get this baby to work no matter what
Quote by outlaw92
lol...........bro its not trashed , its one of the fastest necks i've played ever , the problem only comes when i go towards the 12 fret.The notes from then of sound a bit sharp , but i'm determined to get this baby to work no matter what

I have probably owned at least 7 fender strats with maple fretboard, and four Rosewood. I have made money off of every one and i kept the cream of the crop. Never have had one with that intonation. I bet you don't have the same scale or the neck 'fitting' was a shitty job.

+1 to gay 4 slipknot
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Dude, do you even listen to us? You need to measure your scale length. If it's not right, that's your problem. You have a neck that doesn't fit your body. You could of course make it fit but it would be pretty hard. Get a Stratocaster body if you like the neck. Because not every neck fits every body.

And also about the truss rod thing. You shouldn't have too much relief. Your neck should be almost straight. And truss rod is not for adjusting intonation issues. Intonation is adjusted by moving the bridge saddles. Truss rod adjustment is for fret buzz issues. If the bridge saddles can't fix the intonation, your bridge is not where it should be - it may be too close to your neck or too far away from your neck. The only way to fix it is to move your bridge or neck so that your scale length is right (25.5 inches).

And WTF? You adjusted random things but none of them was bridge saddles? You need to adjust your bridge saddles to fix the intonation!
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 26, 2013,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Dude, do you even listen to us? You need to measure your scale length. If it's not right, that's your problem. You have a neck that doesn't fit your body. You could of course make it fit but it would be pretty hard. Get a Stratocaster body if you like the neck. Because not every neck fits every body.

And also about the truss rod thing. You shouldn't have too much relief. Your neck should be almost straight. And truss rod is not for adjusting intonation issues. Intonation is adjusted by moving the bridge saddles. Truss rod adjustment is for fret buzz issues. If the bridge saddles can't fix the intonation, your bridge is not where it should be - it may be too close to your neck or too far away from your neck. The only way to fix it is to move your bridge or neck so that your scale length is right (25.5 inches).

And WTF? You adjusted random things but none of them was bridge saddles? You need to adjust your bridge saddles to fix the intonation!

I'm Sorry for doing that :p.So i took the necessary measurements.My scale length is about 25.3 inches that's 2 inches short.What should be my next course of action.I really don't want to throw away this guitar.Is there someway i can fix it.Any suggestion would be welcome.Thanks
Have you moved the saddles yet?

How many frets does the neck have? it could be the neck needs to be 22 frets if it is a 21 fret neck. That maybe where the 1/4" shy of 25.5 is happening.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Have you moved the saddles yet?

How many frets does the neck have? it could be the neck needs to be 22 frets if it is a 21 fret neck. That maybe where the 1/4" shy of 25.5 is happening.

Yes i have removed the saddle springs and the saddles are as close to the bridge as possible and yes it has 21 frets.
Quote by outlaw92
Yes i have removed the saddle springs and the saddles are as close to the bridge as possible and yes it has 21 frets.

I would be willing to bet the fact it is 21 frets and not 22 is the reason you can not intonate it properly. That would account for the .2-.25" you need to extend. Get a new 22 fret 25.5" scale neck, your 21 fret neck will not work unless you reposition the bridge (which is not fun at all)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The number of frets isn't the issue. It's the scale length. A 24.75" scale guitar can have 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27 frets; doesn't matter. The scale length will be the same.

You can't just toss a bolt neck from one guitar onto another and expect it to work. "Customized" too often means "hack job by someone who hasn't a clue" and this is likely one of those times.
Quote by dspellman
The number of frets isn't the issue. It's the scale length. A 24.75" scale guitar can have 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 27 frets; doesn't matter. The scale length will be the same.

You can't just toss a bolt neck from one guitar onto another and expect it to work. "Customized" too often means "hack job by someone who hasn't a clue" and this is likely one of those times.

I agree, but the neck pocket on his guitar is most likely made for a 22fret neck at 25.5" scale so it is routed just a little deeper in the neck pocket. His neck has 21 frets I would be willing to bet this is the issue (because of the info TS has given).

The same as you can not interchange a 21 fret strat neck with a 22 fret neck even if they are both 25.5"
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 26, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
I agree, but the neck pocket on his guitar is most likely made for a 22fret neck at 25.5" scale so it is routed just a little deeper in the neck pocket. His neck has 21 frets I would be willing to bet this is the issue (because of the info TS has given).

The same as you can not interchange a 21 fret strat neck with a 22 fret neck even if they are both 25.5"

The fretboard on a strat is cantilevered -- it hangs over, beyond the neck pocket. You can order a 21, 22 or 24 fret fretboard and neither the neck nor the neck pocket change. In short, the distance between the nut and the bridge doesn't change, nor does the neck placement in the pocket. The number of frets doesn't change the scale and each fret has to be in exactly the same place for a given scale in order to have accuracy.

And yes, you CAN interchange a 21 fret strat neck with a 22 or a 24 fret strat neck. Go to the Warmoth Custom Guitar Neck page (http://www.warmoth.com/pages/CustomNeck.aspx?style=1 )
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 27, 2013,
The 1995 MIM I have is great. I have probably owned a dozen strats this is the only one that i kept.

$180 with a fender HSC. No fret wear, nice bit of proper aged white.

Look for a cheap mim. Do whatever you want. Any number of pickup possibilities. Get some good pickups. Then you know it all fits, and do with it whatever you want. Easier, more cost effective ans really just as much fun.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by dspellman
The fretboard on a strat is cantilevered -- it hangs over, beyond the neck pocket. You can order a 21, 22 or 24 fret fretboard and neither the neck nor the neck pocket change. In short, the distance between the nut and the bridge doesn't change, nor does the neck placement in the pocket. The number of frets doesn't change the scale and each fret has to be in exactly the same place for a given scale in order to have accuracy.

And yes, you CAN interchange a 21 fret strat neck with a 22 or a 24 fret strat neck. Go to the Warmoth Custom Guitar Neck page (http://www.warmoth.com/pages/CustomNeck.aspx?style=1 )

Are you sure? For some reason I thought the 22 fret was a little longer, thanks for the clarification, off to go look at different necks now

Maybe I'm thinking about a strat neck being put on a tele body. Because the heal needs to be modified.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Back to the Topic people :p.........Now since my neck is 25.3 " scale what are my options.................Could a adjustment in the nut do the trick.Its just 40 cents for god sake.........If i could just shift the saddles back an inch that would be enough i assume.
Quote by outlaw92
Back to the Topic people :p.........Now since my neck is 25.3 " scale what are my options.................Could a adjustment in the nut do the trick.Its just 40 cents for god sake.........If i could just shift the saddles back an inch that would be enough i assume.

For whatever scale you have, you don't want to change the nut to the fret distance (if it's correct in the first place). The adjustment comes in moving the saddle forward or backward to match OR in moving the neck one direction or the other in the neck pocket.

If the neck was not matched to the neck pocket, it may need to be shimmed to move it away from the bridge by the required amount (0.2"), etc. This is a job for a competent tech.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 27, 2013,
Took the necessary measurements , Set the saddles back to their original position , Drilled some holes in the neck pocket and then neck itself and Problem Solved.Thread can now be closed thanks everyone