Hey guys --

I've read periodically on here that ECC-803s tubes are a bit better than 83s's for noise reasons, but can't/shouldn't be used in combo amps. What about the tonal differences?

Well, I've recently acquired a cab and am now using my 6505+ 112 as a head -- so would I be okay running a long-plate tube? Would one JJ ECC 803s make any difference in my tone/noise?

I was thinking about getting one to try out in V2 maybe. I like the 5751 in V1. Would this make any difference in my amp or is it something where you only notice a difference if you switch them all to 803s?
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
The only difference I can really tell is that the pins are gold plated. Which makes no difference whatsoever. I could be wrong though.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
You are wrong.

The ECC83S is a clone of a short plate Telefunken. They don't really sound like a Telefunken much but they are very nice, especially in the midrange.

The ECC803 is a clone of the old Tesla low noise one. They are in fact made on the same machines, purchased and moved down the road from the old Tesla factory. They are a long plate design. Put the two together and it's plain to see. I really like the JJ ECC803, especially in Marshall type things. Not only are they quieter, they have a sparklier top end while still retaining most of the mids of the short plate ECC83.

Try the ECC803 in V1 and the 5751 in V2. Just experiment, man - but yes, they're a good thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^^Cool, thanks...I was hoping you'd chime in.

And no issues since my amp is now separated from the cab?
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Should be fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^should be fine if you disconnect the internal speaker.

I've always read that an 803 in v1 on a high gainer is a no-no, but that could be complete BS. Interested in seeing what kind of results you get, grab one and report back!
They're about 10% less gain than the 83. The hi gain kiddies probably saw that and thought, "I can haz moar gane. Lez gane no good."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well, considering my amp has enough gain to kill a small child when the preamp is set to "4" (and I've already got two tubes that have less gain than a 12ax7), I think I'll be okay with even less gain.

It might help with my clean headroom as well.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood