Hi guys. I need a new amp Want to upgrade from my Cube, it's getting old.

Budget - Around 500-600 Euro. I can go higher if I need to so I get a proper upgrade,but that way I'll have to wait longer to gather the cash.

Genres - I play mainly Blues Rock,Hard Rock,Glam Metal,Heavy Metal (Jimi Hendrix,Jimmy Page,Steve Clark(Def Leppard!),George Lynch(love his Dokken tone),Randy Rhoads etc. I dont need cleans so much.

New or Used? - I prefer new. But if I find something you recommend on my local used market I can go for it.

Home or Gig? - Its for home use. I can't play any louder than 4/10 on the lead channel of the Cube, so im not sure what to do, go for a tube amp or some digital stuff.

Closest City - Sofia,Bulgaria (Europe)

Current Gear - Roland Cube 60(im not selling it),Schecter C-1 Custom
If you're looking just to use it at home, and can't play loud, check out the Yamaha THR10 series. I tried out the 'classic' version, which is modelled on boutique-style amps, and sounds really cool for Blues and 60's-70's hard rock. For anything heavier, you might prefer the 10X or the standard 10.
Really natural sounding for a digital modeller. Tough i have gigged with a Cube before and actually quite liked the sounds i got from it. Plus it has a direct out for recording or playing through a PA if you do gig down the line.

I think you'll have a hard time playing a Cube at home, i can imagine tube amps would REALLY be a push.

Though if you do want to go the route of Tube, perhaps a Vox AC4, it has an attenuator to turn the wattage down low, and can get some nice bluesy grit. May need a pedal to reach Glam metal tones.
Perhaps even look in to the HT-5, decent cleans, decent dirt, though overall i have gotten bored of it, and am looking at replacing it with one of those Yamahas for home use. Its technically a hybrid amp, though it does sound better once cranked up a bit.
Well you could get a Jet City amp from thomann, they are awesome for what they cost. For example the 50 Watt head with the harley benton g212 vintage cab is easily in budget. However i feel like they could be voiced a bit to modern for the vintage tones you want.
An other (new) option on that budget would be the laney Ironheart IRT30, i haven't played that one myself but heard good things, or just the laney Cub 12 if you want cheaper and smaller.
Used I would try to get any variation of the marshall jcm 2000 dsl, should be nice for what you want to play.
Last edited by ~Luke~ at Nov 25, 2013,
You look like you could use a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60!

Or a Jet City along with a nice cab.

Have a look at the JCA50H and the Harley Benton G212 Vintage on thomann, or the JCA50 combo if you don't like the stack idea.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
i'm not that familiar with the cube, but i'm guessing 4/10 is fairly loud on the 60 watt model, right? do you have any idea how many decibels that is? My own personal opinion (others may disagree) is that if you have to play as quietly as possible, that tube probably isn't the way to go, but if you can get up to even loud practising volumes (say, watching an action film or shouting type of volume levels) then tube starts to sound pretty good.

I can't say for sure, but from the sounds of it, you can get loud enough for tube.

jet city is a good call. might be too modern (but then for some of the tones you mentioned it's just right), but then some other things might not be modern enough. thomann also does the traynor ycv50b at a pretty good price (though i've heard some concerns about their build quality) which would likely be better for the more vintage tones you mentioned, but wouldn't be as good as the jet city for the more modern tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not that familiar with the cube, but i'm guessing 4/10 is fairly loud on the 60 watt model, right? do you have any idea how many decibels that is? My own personal opinion (others may disagree) is that if you have to play as quietly as possible, that tube probably isn't the way to go, but if you can get up to even loud practising volumes (say, watching an action film or shouting type of volume levels) then tube starts to sound pretty good.

I can't say for sure, but from the sounds of it, you can get loud enough for tube.

jet city is a good call. might be too modern (but then for some of the tones you mentioned it's just right), but then some other things might not be modern enough. thomann also does the traynor ycv50b at a pretty good price (though i've heard some concerns about their build quality) which would likely be better for the more vintage tones you mentioned, but wouldn't be as good as the jet city for the more modern tones.

Yes 4/10 is like watching an action movie or shouting but its ok during the day and its totally the max volume I can go.I have used 6/10 and above for playing with drummer in the past.I usually play around 3/10 and nobody has said anything for years. I can't find the Traynor on Thomann (The item Traynor YCV50B is not part of our current product range anymore.) Which Jet City do you recommend? Isn't the 20 watt 2 channel head with 1x12 cabinet or combo my best bet?
it's up to you regarding the volume (to clarify, when i say an action movie i mean with surround sound and stuff like that )- it's probably touch and go, it may be ok, it just depends.

thomann often goes out of stock of that traynor but normally gets it back into stock eventually. whether it's a better idea than the jet city, i dunno, from what i hear the jet city might be built better...

the only jet city i've tried is the 50 watt head. I think the preamps are meant to be fairly similar on it, the 100 watt head and the 2 channel 20 watt head. the 50 watt has more headroom etc. and higher wattage is normally good for heavier tones. however, the 20 watt has its fx loop in a better place in the circuit, which i've heard some people say makes it sound better. so yeah, i dunno.

regarding the cabinet, 1x12 will keep the volume lowest, but most people would say a 2x12 sounds better, and it doesn't increase the volume *that* much. Again, it just depends on how close you're getting to "too loud" already. Goind for the 1x12 might make the difference. Or not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?