I've been wanting to get a flat body les paul and I'm rocking between the EC-10 and the Special II. Any suggestions?
Save up your money and buy something used. Those guitars are complete throwaways.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Well I don't know if this even helps but I actually prefer my EC1000 over my LP Studio.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
^ it doesn't help. Those guitars are a completely different comparison. Like first mentioned, do not get either of those guitars. They're garbage. Buy a used epiphone g400
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
^That's also useless, he said LP not SG... Is the Gibson LP Melody Maker a flat top?
If you're looking to spend as little as possible I would just save up an extra $30 and get an EC50 over the EC10. The pickups aren't the best but it's a great guitar for the money.
I'm not really looking for a super nice guitar. As long as it can keep a tuning for a few songs and has a good neck I'm fine with it. I already have a nice guitar and I'm used to tuning my crap guitar after every song. I don't want an SG. Pick ups don't make a big difference to me. I can replace those.
Either way, forget the ones in the original post, you'll be retuning every 2nd bar of every song, literally pieces of shit... Get a second hand Epi LP Standard for a couple of hundred. Don't even contemplate lesser than that as its guaranteed to be a shitbox too.
I disagree. I like my friend's special II. I already have a standard size Les Paul. Don't need another one.
Well for the LTD; in the end you get a guitar that is different more likely tonally and also has a nicer neck (just personally) A guitar more likely responsive in different styles of music than what a les paul can do by itself.

The Epiphone is a very versatile guitar however and can cover more ground than an Ec-10 probably could due to its more warmer tone with the pickups. The Epiphone's pickups are pretty versatile unless you upgrade it. The Ec-10's pickups are very bright and sharp which you may like or not at all... But you can also upgrade the Ec-10 then you get one probably with a nicer neck and as warm sound.

However if you aren't going to upgrade pickups, You can go for the Les paul special II; I have heard good tone clips out of those guitars. This is just my experience however. Everyone else may have a different experience from mine.
Last edited by Winter Skyes at Nov 25, 2013,
Like they keep saying, save your money and get something better. But id say go with an ltd ec-50.
If you really wanted a budget and or beginner guitar get the Les Paul. It was my first guitar ever and i played on it for about 3 years until i really needed a new guitar. It's great for learning stuff and can handle almost any genre.

Greets
Save for atleast 50 serie LTD if you want to stick to new guitars over used. My F-50, while cheap and has a finish thicker than the wood underneath it, is a joy to play and holds tune really well. Balance is also the best ouf of all my guitars. Sounds good too after I did a pickup swap.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 19, 2013,