I'm wanting to put my Jackson Rhoads (it's not a $3,000 one, it was like $150 used, no tremolo or anything special) neck on my Rogue body because it's heavier and has a whammy bar. The RR neck also has 24 frets, unlike the Rogue and this bothers me.
They're both bolt-on and I work with wood a lot so shaving like the corners where it would fit into the body is not a problem.

Ordering replacement necks are just as expensive as a new guitar, from what I've seen on Warmoth, etc. but I'm pretty positive that with adjusting the truss rod in the RR neck and the whammy bar after it's on that it'll work just fine. I've read that you're not supposed to do this because they're not the same scale length but I don't believe it to be perfectly frank. Anyone got some hints, tips, ideas, etc. for this?

Basically, putting 24 fret neck on a guitar that has a 22 fret neck.
And don't tell me it's impossible cuz I will find a way lol
I've done it a few times. Scale length shouldn't be that much of a big deal. I did it on a bass. The new neck was almost half an inch shorter than the old neck, but I tried anyway. It set up just fine and the intonation came out good too. I think you'll be fine.
I did two neck swaps on basses and one on a guitar. Try Ebay for the necks, got every one of them for less than 60 bucks each, and they are fine.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Hate to break it to you, but putting a longer neck will really mess up your intonation. Unless you move the bridge further forwards, to keep the right length of the string, and the right intervals that match the fret you play. The stuff you've read about scale length…believe it.

Unless you really don't care about playing in tune, it may be possible if you can find the right size neck pocket (unlikely) but seriously don't do it.
Quote by ryanbwags
I've done it a few times. Scale length shouldn't be that much of a big deal. I did it on a bass. The new neck was almost half an inch shorter than the old neck, but I tried anyway. It set up just fine and the intonation came out good too. I think you'll be fine.
I did two neck swaps on basses and one on a guitar. Try Ebay for the necks, got every one of them for less than 60 bucks each, and they are fine.

This is terrible advice...
Scale length is the single most important thing when switching necks...
they have to be same scale and usually they have to have the same number of frets.

Even if you get it to fit, the scale might not line up. and you will also have to redrill for the bolts.
It will not work, unless of course you move the bridge
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
It can work if your 12th fret is as close the center of the scale length. In other words, measure what your scale will be with the 24 fret neck, divide by 2, your 12th fret should be as close as possible to this number. It can be off by a little, which you can compensate for by intonating the guitar.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Last edited by Bertallica at Nov 25, 2013,
If you don't believe actual fact, go ahead and swap the neck. Don't say you weren't warned. All the adjusting of the truss rod in the world isn't going to make your guitar magically intonate with a neck that isn't the correct scale length. Nevermind the fact that it may not even fit the pocket.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
This is terrible advice...
Scale length is the single most important thing when switching necks...
they have to be same scale and usually they have to have the same number of frets.

Even if you get it to fit, the scale might not line up. and you will also have to redrill for the bolts.

Now that you mention it, I had to resculpt the neck pocket and redrill the holes in the neck. But it did work out in the end.
You can't argue that paying more than the guitar's price for a new neck may be a silly idea. Lots of used necks out there that should work fine, provided they measure up.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Seriously, f you're so unhappy with both instruments, sell them and buy a 24 fret guitar, with the whammy bar and features of both that you like, in one instrument.

Don't ruin two perfectly usable instruments that could make someone else happier than you are with them, and just get one you like.