Page 1 of 2
There's a lot of times when a piece just gets so overplayed and gets so much attention that it sort of takes away from the piece. Usually fans of the artist say that they have so much better material that nobody listens to (and that's usually true). But sometimes I'll listen to the piece and regardless of all that, I'm just like "This track is f*cking amazing."

For me, there's the following pieces.

Bach's Cello Suite Prelude. Probably his most well-known piece along with his Minuet in G.

Clair De Lune by Debussy. Everyone knows this just because it's so popular, was used in Twilight, etc. Cheesy as it is, I still think it's a really good listen every once in a while. And I think its best version is the Williams arrangement for two guitars.

The Planets by Holst. Read on Wikipedia about how he grew to dislike how popular the suite had gotten, and it was overshadowing his other compositions. I'm not too familiar with his other compositions, but every movement of this suite is so good.

I didn't mean to only name classical pieces, and I know I feel the same way about some other stuff, I just can't think any names at the moment.
Last edited by The Madcap at Nov 25, 2013,
I think the Hungarian rhapsody no 2 by liszt is absolutely amazing. Iv never heard another piece as animated. Literally they made it into bugs bunny! Great song
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I think the Hungarian rhapsody no 2 by liszt is absolutely amazing. Iv never heard another piece as animated. Literally they made it into bugs bunny! Great song

tom and jerry bruv
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

This is my favorite song to play, ever
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Nov 25, 2013,
Bohemian Rhapsody. It is impossible to grow tired of. Everytime I hear it I'm blown away and I find myself grinning like a fool, singing along like a mad man.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Burgery
tom and jerry bruv

I think bugs did his sonata in b minor now that I think abounit
Quote by WCPhils
This is may favorite song to play, ever
I would love to be able to play a piece like that on piano. The hardest piece I can play on piano is that slow E Minor prelude by Chopin.

To me, being able to play something like that on piano, so animated, dynamic and flashy, would be such a good experience. I can play some big and flashy competition pieces on classical guitar, but it just will never have that same power and volume as piano.
I still adore Fur Elise.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by The Madcap
The Planets by Holst. Read on Wikipedia about how he grew to dislike how popular the suite had gotten, and it was overshadowing his other compositions. I'm not too familiar with his other compositions, but every movement of this suite is so good.

I wasn't aware Holst disliked them. I fell in love with The Planets after I found out the theme from the Elder Scrolls games borrows a motif from one of the movements (Jupiter, I think).

Getting away from classical music:
I get really sick of interacting with other guitarists and rock lovers and hearing about how godly Black Sabbath and other 60s/70s rockers were, but I will never, never, never get tired of hearing War Pigs.
Freebird.

And since we're doing classical here: Pachelbel's Canon, Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and Bach's Air. I think they're all astoundingly beautiful but I'm just mainstream like that.

I need to check out the stuff in here as well
Pachelbel's Canon is awful and laziest canon ever written. I don't know how anyone can just sit through it without lethal amount of sedatives.

Sonata 14, aka "Moonlight" is ok, but not even close to some of Beethoven's other piano sonatas.

But Imma have to agree with Claire de Lune and The Planets. Genuine masterpieces that deserve all the recognition it gets. Beethoven's 5th is pretty good too, although it is unfortunate that most people don't know the latter movements.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Nov 25, 2013,
Quote by The Madcap
I would love to be able to play a piece like that on piano. The hardest piece I can play on piano is that slow E Minor prelude by Chopin.

To me, being able to play something like that on piano, so animated, dynamic and flashy, would be such a good experience. I can play some big and flashy competition pieces on classical guitar, but it just will never have that same power and volume as piano.

I won't lie, it feels really good when you play it perfectly in front of a bunch of people.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I have yet to hear a song/piece in any genre, time period that has harmonies and a chord progression that i like more than Claire de Lune. MAYBE the first part of Mozarts Requiem in D minor.
That reminds me, Mozart's requiem is another cliche, I think, but it is without a doubt the best straight-ahead requiem. Other greats' attempts at requiems have been less successful (Beethoven's Missa Solemnis) to downright camp (looking at you, Verdi and Berlioz).

The only one that is almost on equal footing is Brahms' German Requiem, although it's not very "straight-ahead" at this point.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Unourrit01
I have yet to hear a song/piece in any genre, time period that has harmonies and a chord progression that i like more than Claire de Lune. MAYBE the first part of Mozarts Requiem in D minor.

Man, that one is so overused. But it is pretty great, so it's no problem.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by Trowzaa
I still adore Fur Elise.

I still love that tune.
My Ex GF hates it with a passion, but she had to play it almost daily (she played cello in various orchestras in this are)

Also:
Freebird
Stairway To Heaven

Certain songs get overplayed for a reason: they are good and appeal to a large segment.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Pachelbel's Canon is awful and laziest canon ever written. I don't know how anyone can just sit through it without lethal amount of sedatives.

Agreed. And this is from someone with no real understanding of composition. It's such a ****ing bore.

Stop using it in weddings, Hollywood.

Anyway, Eno's Ascent off Apollo? I hear it all the time in films, but I still adore it.
The Solo To Sweet Child Of Mine !! Slash Is A Guitar God !!

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
feces.mpg
this guy, super cliche, but super awesome, not even you xiaoxi can say this is a bad piece.

Not only is it shit, it is emblematic of this awful composer.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Not only is it shit, it is emblematic of this awful composer.

I know you see me as a huge musical threat, but why do you always have to be so negative? Iv heard your music , and though I like it you aren't even 1/10th the composer Chopin was. Where is your waterfall? How can you complain about him so much and not give any logical reasoning behind it?
Page 1 of 2