Hey,
I bought a guitar that is supposedly pickup less a '68 Les Paul. Years ago someone tried to make this guitar disappear and it was hidden in a friend's garage. To avoid identification it was sanded down and reshaped. I don't particularly care if this story is true or not because I didn't pay much and I like it. Just for curiosity's sake, I would like to know if the could have been a '68 Les Paul. All the finish and Identifying marks have been sanded (Well done) and it has been reshaped (non professionally). It has a set neck, an old looking Les Paul Custom neck, and old looking Gibson tuners. What do you think?
Either way I am going to use it for customization project.

Tiananmen Square Dance
Last edited by CraZzZy Diamond at Nov 25, 2013,

That's the most bizarre story I've ever heard. But not only does the lacquer look like someone literally took a belt sander to it, the edges of the frets are part of the binding, just like a Gibson. And the binding looks like it came from a guitar of such an old age. The tuners look way too new for such a supposedly old guitar, but hardware like tuners being replaced on something so old is very common.

More pics pls.

EDIT: The very top of the headstock in no way looks like a Gibson's though, but the dark lighting makes it a bit obscure.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 25, 2013,
Such a shame. Oh well. Nice guitar dude, may as well be a cheap chinese no name guitar now. I hate it when people **** with old stuff and ruin it.
The headstock has been reshaped, I am sure of this because it has the same amateur sanding, is a little uneven, and unfinished
Tiananmen Square Dance
Why would someone do that?!
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I am also curious about the whammy system. It is clearly not original, but the bridge appears to be.
Tiananmen Square Dance
a '68 custom no less, if it actually was a gibsun. i personally don't think it was but i'm willing to look.

pot codes bro, pot codes. we need pics of the neck pick up route. clear images please.

also pics inside the back routes, both of them, clear images please.

must be able to read the pot codes on the actual pots in the cavity. you may need to pull a couple to find the actual codes. should be along the lines of 137xxxx. we need to confirm the 137 and get the rest of the digits.

it's not a pancake body, but it's a mahogany top over a mahogany body. look for joins in the back wood, is the back one piece or two?

butt shots. we always need butt shots. along the side where the strap pin is, is there a join there?

****ing horrible that someone did this to hide the fact that it was as stolen guitar. assholes.
Quote by gregs1020
F***ing horrible that someone did this to hide the fact that it was as stolen guitar. assholes.

I wasn't gunna stretch that far but that's definitely the first thing I thought.
If that is a '68 LP, please hit the person who did that over the head with it.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by gregs1020
a '68 custom no less, if it actually was a gibsun. i personally don't think it was but i'm willing to look.

pot codes bro, pot codes. we need pics of the neck pick up route. clear images please.

also pics inside the back routes, both of them, clear images please.

must be able to read the pot codes on the actual pots in the cavity. you may need to pull a couple to find the actual codes. should be along the lines of 137xxxx. we need to confirm the 137 and get the rest of the digits.

it's not a pancake body, but it's a mahogany top over a mahogany body. look for joins in the back wood, is the back one piece or two?

butt shots. we always need butt shots. along the side where the strap pin is, is there a join there?

****ing horrible that someone did this to hide the fact that it was as stolen guitar. assholes.

Hey sorry for the long wait. I got busy. The pots are defiantly not original they are made by Noble (Is that a decent brand?) I'm pretty sure almost everything other than the tuning pegs that can be replaced was replaced. I don't think this was a stolen guitar, I think it was an insurance scam.

Tiananmen Square Dance
Last edited by CraZzZy Diamond at Dec 11, 2014,
The headstock has no wings. The body routing looks totally wrong even for a 68. There doesn't seem to be any traces of the dished portion of the carved top which would mean they'd have had to sand the top down considerably which doesn't jive with the height of the fingerboard on the top. The bridge doesn't seem to be angle correctly either.
The body lower bout is actually flatter and wider than a Les Paul body, how do suppose they got extra wood on the lower sides simply by sanding?
No way.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
The headstock has no wings. The body routing looks totally wrong even for a 68. There doesn't seem to be any traces of the dished portion of the carved top which would mean they'd have had to sand the top down considerably which doesn't jive with the height of the fingerboard on the top. The bridge doesn't seem to be angle correctly either.
The body lower bout is actually flatter and wider than a Les Paul body, how do suppose they got extra wood on the lower sides simply by sanding?
No way.

The headstock has been totally reshaped, from all sides. There is a considerable amount taken off the top piece of wood. The entire body has be sanded down by an amateur so that could account for the flatness. As to the extra wood, I don't know. As I said I got it dirt cheap and no matter what it used to be, it'll be a fun rebuild project. The only thing that makes me hold onto the idea that it's an old gibson is the neck.... The story of the guitar only makes sense if it was worth insuring.... it is likely impossible to identify what it actually was, but it is going to be an awesomely unique guitar when I'm done with it.

It certainly isnt a Framus like the [plastic headstock piece suggests. Are there any other companies that do their necks like that? Some quick googling shows that the routing looks kind of like a late 68-68 les paul but I dont know. Im really curious.
Tiananmen Square Dance
Last edited by CraZzZy Diamond at Dec 11, 2014,
Show us the neck pocket from below and above through the neck pup cutout. If the tenon is wrong that would be another clue.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Zhaezzy
My best guess would be a Gibson Firbrand Les Paul circa late 70's early 80's. If it sets up and plays good you got a guitar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_The_Paul

Not even close.

Explain the binding, different board/inlays, abr1 bridge, switch location and the block inlays? I highly highly doubt somebody would go through that much trouble.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by CraZzZy Diamond
Hey sorry for the long wait. I got busy. The pots are defiantly not original they are made by Noble (Is that a decent brand?) I'm pretty sure almost everything other than the tuning pegs that can be replaced was replaced. I don't think this was a stolen guitar, I think it was an insurance scam.

stupidest thieves on earth.

i have no idea what that thing is.
I do.

Firewood.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I do.

Firewood.

You mean a nice piece of mahogany that will be a great sounding guitar when I'm done with it.
Tiananmen Square Dance
If that's your thing, go for it.

I'm all for distressed and road worn axes, but with what's been done to this one, I'd have never even picked it up. The headstock shape alone is vomit-inducing.

Quote by CraZzZy Diamond
You mean a nice piece of mahogany that will be a great sounding guitar when I'm done with it.

It'll be unique, that's for sure.

But hopefully in a good way.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I do wish you the best of luck restoring it, though. I'll bet it will sound awesome if it's a good slab of mahogany.

Post up pictures of the restoration progress in the GB&C forum so we can see how you're doing.

Quote by CraZzZy Diamond
The headstock has been totally reshaped, from all sides. There is a considerable amount taken off the top piece of wood. The entire body has be sanded down by an amateur so that could account for the flatness. As to the extra wood, I don't know. As I said I got it dirt cheap and no matter what it used to be, it'll be a fun rebuild project. The only thing that makes me hold onto the idea that it's an old gibson is the neck.... The story of the guitar only makes sense if it was worth insuring.... it is likely impossible to identify what it actually was, but it is going to be an awesomely unique guitar when I'm done with it.

It certainly isnt a Framus like the [plastic headstock piece suggests. Are there any other companies that do their necks like that? Some quick googling shows that the routing looks kind of like a late 68-68 les paul but I dont know. Im really curious.

There hasn't been enough material removed on the sides of that headstock to mask the fact that it doesn't have wings (extra mahogany that Gibson always addes to the side of the headstock) that alone really screams "wrong". The body shape on the lower bout looks almost SG like (flattened out) and not round like an LP but the top of the body has wood where and SG wouldn't so....??? The binding is certainly styled like a Gibson yes but that's the only trait and that can be faked/copied. As a matter of fact Chibsons are now doing nibs on their knockoffs.
The pics are crappy though so it isn't easy to see all the details clearly.

I've owned two Epi Elitist Les Pauls, A Gibson 2010 Traditional Plus, a Gibson Custom Shop 50th Ann R0V2, (see my reviews on this very site) and still have a 2010 R7 and 2012 R8 in my minor collection. Besides actually owning Gibsons, I've got some good reference material on the subject (BOTB, The Les Paul Era set by Robb Lawrence [documents the 68 Return of the Les Paul], 50 years of the Les Paul) so I feel pretty comfortable with my assessment. You asked, I provided an answer based on my opinion.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Dec 12, 2014,