Hi UG. The other guitarist in my band wants to get a Mesa Dual Recto, and I'm wondering what would be a good amp for me to get to sound different from him? Our music could best be called hard rock but probably not metal. What are some good options. Mesa Mark V? Splawn Nitro? Rivera? Soldano? So many options...
Budget?
Location?
Current Gear?
Type of sound you are after?
New/Used?

Edit: Personally id go for the mark IV/V and a oversized 4x12, But Expect a lot of tweaking.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Last edited by Carrot at Nov 25, 2013,
Budget: up to $3500. Anything extra goes towards pedals.
New/used: don't care.
Gear: PRS Custom 24
Sound: I'm not as concerned about my own sound as I am about molding the band's sound. The Recto will likely be loose so probably something tight? We'll both be playing rhythm and lead parts so it should have good chugs.
orange, marshall, soldano, splawn, hiwatt

they'd all provide a good contrast to the dual rec.

i haven't tried a soldano, but i have heard many good things and heard some clips and it seems to be in the realm of those tones.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Ask trashedlostfdup and MatrixClaw what would be a good amp to have with too. I know they both have a large collection..
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Play with ur band, and see what is missing.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Carrot
Ask trashedlostfdup and MatrixClaw what would be a good amp to have with too. I know they both have a large collection..

I have a Tremoverb and a splawn nitro (kt88) and a splawn promod (KT88) . I was actually doing some a/b between a few different amps. Oddly enough i think the promod may have a better contrast. It still has a f*** ton of gain and hits you right in the nuts.

The nitro is more brootal, still nice and clear no matter the gain. Great amps for sure.

Tell your bandmate to wait for a Tremoverb or wait for a roadster. If he doesn't want either. make sure it's a 2 channel.

Any questions post back or pm if you would like.

Wait for MatrixClaw to pop in. He has gone through a lot more amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Audition the Fryette Ultra Lead (KT88) or CLX (EL34) and since you have a nice budget, the Soldano SLO100 or HotRod 100 Plus!

The Diezel VH4 is another option, specially channel 3.

The Rivera you mentioned will be very nice, too. Look out for the KR100/KR Seven.

You could get some kind of Recto too. They are pretty versatile and you could dial in a different type of sound.
I'd say a Mark IV or V is a good contrast, a bit tighter and fills out the midrange. Fryette and Splawn, as mentioned earlier, would work great as well. With that budget, you're pretty spoiled for choice
Quote by ibanez1997
I'd say a Mark IV or V is a good contrast, a bit tighter and fills out the midrange. Fryette and Splawn, as mentioned earlier, would work great as well. With that budget, you're pretty spoiled for choice

I ran the splawn promod again against the tremoverb, i thought it was pretty good. However the promod was through a 2x12 w/v30s, the tremoverb was going through K85's in a 4x12.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/