Hello, don't think I'm trolling but I'm making a new tone thread. I'm planning on getting a Peavey Vypyr (to replace my Marshall MG) and need some tips to achieving my dream tone. Basically it's like Emperor meets Voltaire meets Scott Pilgrim (saw "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World", really enjoyed it and love the bass-tone) with a cold icy bite. I've got a Boss CE-5 (favorite pedal), Bass Big Muff, Fender Rumble, Crybaby Wylde Wah, normal Wah, Berserker Overdrive, and Boss DS-1. I can only connect 4 pedals at once but can also connect two amps. I'm both a guitarist and bassist (this thread is mainly for bass guitar). In case you're wondering what this tone sounds like; just think of a mixture of the below.

First is this "Lovely" Emperor song (Warning: Norwegian Black Metal)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_0qDWRlnAs

Second is Voltaire's "Ex Lover's Lover" (primarily for Gothic atmosphere and feel)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DxUHeiFHmo

Last is "Threshold" from "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" (really like how the bass sounds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOnzDo92PNM

I know this might sound weird but use your imagination (I've got a good one). What I'm looking for is cheap (under $80) pedals, settings (for amps or chorus pedal), or general tips. Help would be greatly appreciated and please be polite.
Well; it sounds like the only things you are missing are a good digital delay and a reverb pedal. Reverb, when used properly, can give you that "playing in a giant Gothic cathedral" sound - in fact, on a programmable reverb, one of the settings will likely be labeled "cathedral." The digital delay is what gets you the ethereal aspects. Just do not overdo it.

As for recommendations, well; how much do you want to spend, and do they have to be pedals? The best reverb units are still the spring reverb tanks like you find in a number of amplifiers. However, they are expensive and often impractical for some gigs. There are a number of good digital reverb pedals out there, so try a few and see what you like. Check out the ones with presets, like the DigiTech. If you like the presets, then you have found your pedal. If not; well, keep looking. There are so many digital delay pedals out there that it is almost impossible to recommend just one. I have a Roland Boss GigaDelay, which is a big-assed pedal but it sounds great and is very adjustable.

Good luck! You'll nail your tone. Just stick with it, and remember: tiny adjustments of the knobs on such pedals and rackmount units often make big differences, so take it slowly.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I told you I have only $80 dollars to spend and the tone I'm looking for is "Voltaire meets Emperor meets Scott Pilgrim with an icy bite" (I only named the thread this to attract attention and shorten the title). Do you have any recommended settings for my amp and/or a pedal. Also I dislike Multi-effect pedals and prefer pedal setups. Please listen to the links and then give recommended settings and setups. Thanks.
I did listen to them. The Voltaire tune does not appear to have any bass at all, and the echo sound you hear is nothing more than a rackmounted reverb unit (I am guessing an Alesis or a Lexicon, but since it is a studio effect, it could be something high-end like a Bricasti or an Eventide), probably set on "cathedral" reverb. The "Scott Pilgrim" tone is nothing more than a heavily distorted bass with the lows cut, the mids slightly above neutral and the treble at about 60-65%. The other one is your typical downtuned black metal, played with a very slight delay and a reverb to give it depth. The bass in such cases is usually set to a very muddy tone: boost the bass, cut the treble and keep the mids at no more than 5 on the amplifier. As a result, the bass will get lost in the mix, but it will provide a foundation of sorts. The only one where the bass stands out is the Scott Pilgrim tune, where you have what I described. Essentially, the bass in that one is being used as a rhythm guitar; something that John Entwhistle made a career of doing. So if you do not have a reverb unit or a delay, you are not going to achieve what you seek. Those are the essential elements of the first two. For the Scott Pilgrim thing, try cutting the bass, mids at about 5 or 6 on your amplifier, and treble at about 6 or 7. Then crank your distortion box. Make sure your amplifier speaker(s) can handle it, though. Heavily distorted bass is often hell on speakers.

Since you are essentially trying to create two entirely different bass sounds and somehow get them to compliment each other, your only option will be to play through two separate rigs: one set for distorted, no-bass/neutral mids/high-treble sharp and punchy, and the other set to heavy-bass/neutral mids/no-treble mud. This is easy in a studio; it is murder to do it live. If you play it live, then you should put one rig on either side of the stage, mic them and have the sound tech try to balance them. And of course, to get what you call the "ethereal" sound, you need a reverb unit and a digital delay. There is no way around it. The delay makes your notes a bit more lush, while the reverb unit gives the sound depth. That is the only way you will obtain it. If your amplifier has a reverb, it might help, but probably not much. Most amp-mounted reverb units just aren't good enough. You will also need to lose the "punch" of 10" bass speakers for the muddy "doom" side, and really boost the punch of those 10" bass speakers on the "icy" side. The latter is done with a compressor: set the attack and the decay both to occur immediately. It works, but your budget is simply too small to do what you want to do.
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Nov 26, 2013,
Thanks for your help, I got a nice tone for a minute (I ended up waking up my mother LOL due to how loud my bass is). What kind of delay would you recommend for the Gothic/Ethereal tone?
Last edited by RonaldPoe at Nov 27, 2013,
My current bass tone can be heard http://www.mediafire.com/listen/aif82haqdc3p9l8/Bass%2520tone.mp3 here. It was recorded low-quality but should give you an idea (I personally like the tone). However I edited it with Audacity (Just added reverb and compressed/leveled it, ect. Also I used my Fender Rumble bass amp and Marshall MG15 as amps for my bass.

Just for kicks, the same settings on my guitar are http://www.mediafire.com/listen/1shidk5nm50029v/My%2520guitar%2520tone(2).mp3 here. Also I'd like someone to help me with my other threads under Tab Talk. Please give me a polite but honest critique on my tone (if it sounds really bad, just tell me nicely).
Kill the minds on your amp and instrument, bass up to 120% and treble to 75%. This should do the trick.

If you have 2 pickups, chose the neck one.
I appreciate your advice but now (with those settings on my bass amp) my tone sounds fizzy, crispy, and slightly noisy. Did you listen to the links (those should give you an idea of what I'm after, especially the third one) and my previous (as in an hour ago) tone? Any advice on how to achieve my desired tone or settings for delay pedals (which one should I get).
Quote by RonaldPoe
I appreciate your advice but now (with those settings on my bass amp) my tone sounds fizzy, crispy, and slightly noisy. Did you listen to the links (those should give you an idea of what I'm after, especially the third one) and my previous (as in an hour ago) tone? Any advice on how to achieve my desired tone or settings for delay pedals (which one should I get).

High bass, no mids and high treble is known as the "Smiley Face EQ" because on a graphic EQ, that is what it looks like. Most bassists find it entirely unsatisfactory for the reason you describe.

A lot of people seem to be looking for that distorted bass tone from the Scott Pilgrim film. Crank your treble, mids to at least 75%, and run it through a good distortion box. Make sure you have roundwound bass strings. Without echo, reverb and compression, you might have a hell of a time maintaining the sound, even if you get it right on your EQ.