Page 1 of 3
I don't think they do because I love em but I was just listening to Blood On Ice, and I mean, it's alright, but I much prefer the troo kvltastic black metal albums.

What do you think?
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Nov 25, 2013,
I liked Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods. Kind of my introduction to Bathory and then the black metal albums came later. Really haven't listened to anything after Twilight of the Gods though.
It doesn't suck, but anything post-Hammerheart in particular has never got me going. Bathory is one of those rare bands where I strictly only like their first 5 albums (along with Metallica and Overkill).
Quote by Metal_Head1
Hammerheart is my favorite of the later albums, but at least Nordland I is worth checking out sometime as well ^

Has this, uh, joke entered like post-ironic status or something?

it has in my book

and I'm writing that book
banned
Sleep fans do not have the Y-chromosome required to fully appreciate Twilight of the Gods. Do not be a Sleep fan
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by severed-metal
I liked Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods. Kind of my introduction to Bathory and then the black metal albums came later. Really haven't listened to anything after Twilight of the Gods though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efo9NQrMS7A

One of my favorite Bathory songs. You should check out Norland I at least.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I actually find Bathory better after & including Blood Fire Death.
Its probably because I don't like thrash though.
Although Blood Fire Death and Under the Sign of the Black Mark are the highest points of his career, Hammerheart, Twilight of the Gods and a few others are still worth checking out.

And didn't your parents teach you to say NO to Sleep? I mean, you could also change the subject, you could just walk away, and most of all, make sure you tell an adult if someone tries to push Sleep on you.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Eveything he did is atleast good IMO. I got into Bathory quite late but I have loved most of his albums (not really a huuuuuge fan of the earliest), got more into the epic albums...even the later ones like Nordland aren't that bad.
I think a more interesting question would be does anyone think everything post BFD sucks?
I think Bathory is a rare example of 2 very defined sounds and periods of a bands existence both being highly regarded.
No way. Personally Hammerheart is my favourite album. I'd say all Bathory is worth listening to, there was definitly a peak between Under the Sign of the Black Mark and Hammerheart, but overall they're all classic, solid albums.

Also Sleep are awesome too.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Hammerheart is great, Twilight of the Gods is the best Bathory album since the debut, Nordland 1 isn't far off it and Nordland 2 isn't an album to look down on either. Blood on Ice is pretty good but probably the weakest of Bathory's best albums.

Ignore Destroyer of Worlds, Octagon and Requiem, not worth anybody's time.
Quote by The Wildchild
Sleep fans do not have the Y-chromosome required to fully appreciate Twilight of the Gods. Do not be a Sleep fan

hey

shut up

Quote by progbass

And didn't your parents teach you to say NO to Sleep? I mean, you could also change the subject, you could just walk away, and most of all, make sure you tell an adult if someone tries to push Sleep on you.

wow!

sorry that Sleep is not trooly kvltastic enough for you

Quote by EqualOfHeaven

Also Sleep are awesome too.

banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Nov 26, 2013,
I first heard Bathory a little while after I was already heavily into Sabbath in middle school. An older kid who skated wore Bathory shirts - I listened to a few songs and liked it, but I wasn't old enough to appreciate it in full until a few years later when I got into thrash more. Quorthon's always been an inspiration - can't really complain about any of his albums.

As mentioned, Hammerheart is obviously his magnum opus. I have a Hammerheart sweatshirt coming in soon - never had a metal sweater before, thought I'd start with one of the badasser album covers.

Under the Sign is my personal favorite. The Return.... is a close second.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Upon listening to Blood Fire Death right now as I charged into glorious battles via Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, I must say, Hammerheart is probably my favorite Bathory album. Nothing else in Quorthon's discography compares in my opinion.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
^ Yeah! Favorite Bathory moments from any album, period:

"I swing my... my sword, in the wind.
I feel the powers all within."

"I raise my... my fist, to the air.
In the creed of powers and glory swear."

Everyone else after who derived from Hammerheart look like posers compared to this shit, imo lol. Not really, but you know what I mean.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Nov 26, 2013,
Blood on Ice isn't the best of the post Blood Fire Death albums. Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods are of the same level of quality as the earlier albums (as in, some of the best metal albums ever made).

Perhaps one day someone will explain the value of Sleep to me without using passive aggression and words like 'kvltastic', but for now I can't grasp why an hour of repetition is good music.
Don't smoke for a couple of weeks, take a massive bong rip and listen to the hour in full.

How can you travel to the riff filled land if you don't drop out of life with bong in hand?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
That's not my thing really, but thanks for the advice. I'll stick to visiting the magical, riff filled Nordland with my pounding Hammerheart.
Quote by Hoodoo Man
Perhaps one day someone will explain the value of Sleep to me without using passive aggression and words like 'kvltastic', but for now I can't grasp why an hour of repetition is good music.

when I find a Sleep / High on Fire / Om fan who will put forth an actual argument beyond "it just sounds good mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" , I'll be sure to let you know.

And although I love Hammerheart, Blood Fire Doge obviously has the best lyrics.

THE MOMENT IS CHOSEN
THE BATTLEFIELD BARE
TAKE NOW THY STAND PEOPLE
THE TRUE ONES DON'T FEAR

NOW CHOOSE YOUR WEAPONS
AND FALL IN THE LINE
CHOOSE WELL YOUR COLOURS
AND FOLLOW THE SIGN

BLOOD FOR ALL TEARS SHED
AND FIRE FOR HATE
DEATH IS WHAT SHALL BECOME
ALL FALSE ONES FATE

THE STANDARD BEARER IS CHOSEN
AND THE DAY HAS JUST BEGUN
SHADOWS GROWING LONG BY RISING
OF THE AWAKENING SUN

FISTS RAISE LIKE HAMMERS
TO A CLEAR SUNNY SKY
BONDS AND CHAINS FALLEN TO THE GROUND

CHILDREN OF ALL SLAVES
NOW UNITED AND PROUD
THE PEOPLE OF BONDAGE NOW TRIUMPH
AND LIVE BY THE SIGN OF

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

FIYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

A CHARIOT OF THUNDER AND GOLD
WILL COME LOUD
AND A WARRIOR OF THUNDER AND RAIN
WITH HAIR AS WHITE AS SNOW
HAMMER OF STEEL
TO SET YOU FREE OF YOUR CHAINS
AND TO LEAD YOU ALL
WHERE HORSES RUN FREE
AND THE SOULS OF THE ANCIENT ONES REIGN

*chills*
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by Kytokinesis
Twilight of the Gods is the best best best

Yessssssssssss.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by Hoodoo Man
Blood on Ice isn't the best of the post Blood Fire Death albums. Hammerheart and Twilight of the Gods are of the same level of quality as the earlier albums (as in, some of the best metal albums ever made).

Quote by progbass
when I find a Sleep / High on Fire / Om fan who will put forth an actual argument beyond "it just sounds good mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" , I'll be sure to let you know.

banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Nov 27, 2013,
Quote by progbass

Yeah, that's kind of what I was hoping for (but secretly not expecting): a breakdown of the composition to explain what the music conveys to the listener, and how it does so.
See Severed's Friendship and Joy thread.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Nov 27, 2013,
Fine. I'll move it right now. After all, this is the season of friendship.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Thing about stuff like High on Fire and other Stoner bands, is it's pretty much people just playing riffs until they sound good... man.

Most metal can't be analysed in any particularly meaningful way. SOME death metal can be, maybe even black metal. But even that I find forced as fuq, it's like reading Anus . THE DIATONIC FIFTH MEANS HE HATES JESUS... or some BS like that. I can't stand it.

If I knew more theory (I will happily admit that I couldn't do any of the analysis that you guys do) I might care a little more, but even then I'd probably find it as much of a pretence as I do now.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Nov 28, 2013,
Quote by ChemicalFire
Most metal can't be analysed in any particularly meaningful way.

...Analyzing doesn't mean you have to inject some ideology into the music and put subjective labels to known musical devices. It's simply a way to dissect and understand the reasoning behind the structuring, note choice, and other ideas in a piece. You can do that with any Metal.
I suppose you can. Still seems a little silly to me.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
I suppose you can. Still seems a little silly to me.

Learning about how a song, or an entire style of music, is made is "silly" to you? If I analyze a track like Windows by At The Gates then I will develop incite into how to create the harmonies they use that I enjoy greatly. That's extremely useful to any musician who wishes to incorporate the music of their idols into his/her own music.
People talking about music theory and analysis in a Bathory thread...jesus wept.

The thing about later Bathory is that it fucking kills, bar the obvious turds of albums/covers/etc. The sheer amount of material that Quorthon has put out in his life is absolutely insane. Definitely up there with Blackmore, Tipton, Downing, Dio, Schuldiner in terms of individuals who have influenced the greatest number of metal musicians across such a wide spectrum.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Learning about how a song, or an entire style of music, is made is "silly" to you? If I analyze a track like Windows by At The Gates then I will develop incite into how to create the harmonies they use that I enjoy greatly. That's extremely useful to any musician who wishes to incorporate the music of their idols into his/her own music.

I guess not now you put that way.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Pfffffft force dat ideology harder Morph.

At best you're the Duke of Everything Burritos

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Page 1 of 3