I'm going to see QOTSA in a few months and I've been looking at their setlists for recent shows and they look all the same more or less, but I was wondering if it might change? I know I might get a bit sick of playing the same songs in the same order for a year+.
It really depends on the band/artist. Some bands play the exact same setlist every night, while some might change up a few songs here and there but keep the majority of the setlist the same (i.e always having a particular song open or close). Some bands might completely change up the setlist every time or every now and then. Again, it depends on what band it is.

edit: I think a pretty common thing is to have rotating setlists. For example a band might have setlist A which is slightly different from setlist B and setlist C etc. and they'll just rotate those around every night.
Last edited by op4blushift at Nov 26, 2013,
For.example Iron Maiden played the same setlist the whole tour this year, but Metallica usually uses before mentioned rotary setlist. Depends on stage props, pyro..
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
You get a lot of "greatest hits" bands like Megadeth who might play 1 or 2 songs from the most recent albums but highly ignore any albums from the last 15 years, they only play the classics for the most part, if I were one of Axl Roses hired Guns I would be bored shitless by now as they have been playing pretty much the same setlist since 2001.
Dream Theater plays a different setlist every night, usually of completely different songs.

What the other people said.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
For most bands, the setlist is the same for every show on the tour. If you've looked at the setlists for previous shows on the tour and they've changed a bit, then it'll probably be different for your show.

Unless you're Bruce Springsteen. Then the setlist changes every night.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
The core of it will remain the same. Most bands do this. Sometimes it kinda makes sense if they're trying to offer you some kind of 'experience' -> with an elaborate stage show or an integral rendition of some album or whatever. Or sometimes they're just lazy

Most bands will add or remove some songs along the way, especially at the start of a tour or leg. Same goes for QOTSA -> their shows aren't identical but they do stick to the same stuff more or less (ballad halfway through the show, same encore, etc.)

And then there's Pearl Jam who never play the same show twice and their fans really dig that. And the thing is: they don't even do it for the crowd per se but just to keep stuff interesting for themselves. Playing the same songs in the same order night after night can get pret-ty tiresome, especially if the crowd isn't too responsive. This rarely, if ever happens at a Pearl Jam show, even when they're playing arenas. I wish more bands were like that

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Nov 26, 2013,
Of all the bands I've seen more than once in a shortish space of time, QOTSA are the probably the one who varied their setlist the most.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
For most bands, the setlist is the same for every show on the tour. If you've looked at the setlists for previous shows on the tour and they've changed a bit, then it'll probably be different for your show.

He played over 220 different songs on the last tour. I saw him on back to back nights last year and he switched out 19 songs for night 2!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Spoony_Bard

It's just a shame that his songs all sound the same.
Quote by Malchius

Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Zappa was the king of presenting an absolutely unique live show every night. He NEVER EVER played the same setlist twice in a row or during the course of a tour. All of his musicians from the 70's onwards had to learn vast amounts of new material and because of his busy schedule auditions often served as rehearsals (meaning that if you made it into the band you would often be on the road within a week or so). They all had to be able to sight-read any new piece of music he threw at them and if they couldn't deliver or didn't show enough commitment he would just replace them

Every show contained tons of improvisation, not just solos and instrumental bits but entire songs. He would mash up old material, rework it, change the entire time signature halfway through a song... By the time his band grew accustomed to the more complex pieces they could often play it a lot faster so if you were a fan you just HAD to attend everytime he came by because if you didn't it just felt like you were missing out on something unique...

...or so my dad tells me, dangit. MAN I wish I could've been around a decade or two earlier

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If the band uses lots lights and pyro they need to keep the setlist the same because the show is more or less running on a program. Fire and explosions on stage need to be rehearsed over and over so nobody gets hurt.

At least, that's how it was when I was touring.
Last edited by 5_Years_Dead at Nov 26, 2013,
My band rarely plays the same set every night, which is likewise the case of the bands we play with regularly.
Based on bands I've seen 3-4 times, on different tours during different years, yes they use the same general set list.

There are certain "hits" that always tend to get played, even tour after tour. In my experience, the bands tend to mix in new material (assuming they've released any) and add a few different songs here and there, but mostly stick to the same basic set list.
Quote by Malchius

It's perfectly fine when an artist's songs all sound the same.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Depends on the band.
Most bands switch it up every tour. Some bands to it every night.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Queens of the Stone Age tend to pick a selection of their songs and come up with a few setlists based on those songs, so you won't get exactly the same show as the previous night but if they're not playing your favourite song this tour you're unlikely to hear it at your show.

They do this basically because then they don't have to practice their entire catalogue to only play each song once or twice.
Most bands I've seen seem to change it up. I've seen Megadeth four times and the only songs I've heard at all four shows are Peace Sells and Holy Wars.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by WNxScythe
I'm going to see QOTSA in a few months and I've been looking at their setlists for recent shows and they look all the same more or less, but I was wondering if it might change? I know I might get a bit sick of playing the same songs in the same order for a year+.

I saw them last week and the set contained most of the new stuff, which i expected, although they opened with Millionaire, which i didn't see coming, and they also did In The Fade and Fairweather Friends. It was still great, though, i reckon you will have a great time.

In general though, it kind of depends; if a band has released recent new material, they would probably focus on that, while keeping in the odd few fan favourites and stuff.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Nov 26, 2013,
I do know QOTSA change it up a little bit.

I saw them and then saw a set list for a previous show and they had swapped some songs around, with new and old songs.

Good show btw.
ah yes, the art of the setlist, truly something to ponder on before every show...or not if they dont really give a shit about changing it for whatever reason, but it seems like most bands do.
Quote by theogonia777
It's perfectly fine when an artist's songs all sound the same.

agreed. nothing wrong with that if it sounds g
banned