Hey y'all,
Quick questions about the Soldano mods.

1. How much are they?
2. For the depth mod and the mid cut (SRV) mod, are they just switched that I can select to have or is it permanent?
3. Do they mod amps that aren't Soldano?
4. How do they sound?
5. What is a 'Warren Haynes' mod?

NOW A COMPLETELY UNRELATED QUESTION THAT I WANT TO ASK BUT DON'T WANT TO OPEN A THREAD SPECIFICALLY FOR.

How HONEST are Marshall plexi style amps? Compared to something like a cornfield for example, which hide nothing about my playing. Do the Marshall's do the same or will try mask me too much? Thanks! You guys are the best!
1. Depends on the mod. $100 to $200, IIRC.
2. The depth mod is always in circuit, but when turned to minimum the frequency response is the same as stock. The mid cut mod is switchable between stock and scoop.
3. No
4. How does what sound? The mods?
5. The Warren Haynes mod lifts the treble bypass cap on the OD channel gain control. This means that below about 4 on the gain knob, the tone will be darker.

What's a Cornfield? Literally never heard of one. You mean Cornford? A Plexi is much less compressed and has much less gain than any Cornford.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I AM SO SORRY I MEANT CORNFORD (SPECIFICALLY IN REFERENCE TO THE CORNFORD MK50). My phone decided it had other plans. Yes I meant a CORNFORD but could you tell me more on his they compare?

Also, if they don't do mods on non-Soldano's, who could do the equivalent? Thank you!!
The MK50 is actually pretty similar to an SLO, from memory. The treble control has a slightly limited range (can't get as bright) and there are a few differences in frequency filtering, but the SLO characteristics are definitely there. And it's got a better effects loop. Cool amps, but overpriced in the States, IMO.

The Plexi doesn't really compare to either amp. It's a non-master volume circuit with limited preamp gain. The only way to get distortion is to turn it up and destroy the power tubes. It's not capable of anywhere near as much gain, and tends to sag a bit when really cranked. However, since it doesn't have as much gain, and has a ton of mid/treble content, you get clarity on par with the Soldano/Cornford, and it's more dynamic than either. If you need any more gain, it's not your amp though. Or if you need distortion at reasonable volumes. Or you use time based effects. Or really anything most modern players take for granted. It's very much a one trick pony, but it does that trick like pretty much nothing else.

As for mods, do you mean just a general depth/resonance control and scoop mods on any amp? If so, any competent tech should be able to sort those out. The depth mod is two parts and two wires. The scoop mod is replacing 1 component with a network of 3, IIRC, to get a simple bridged-T notch filter. The usefulness of either mod will vary on the amp you're using it with. Though for the depth knob on anything but a Soldano, I'd try an inductor based control rather than the simple SLO one. Much more precise and useful, IMO. Or if you want to stick with a simple depth control, go for the Bogner/Cameron style one for more precision. The SLO depth circuit gets a bit boomy when turned up. I liked my bone stock SLO better than any of the ones with the mods. Though the scoop mod is pretty useful for cleans.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Well here's the thing: I need an amp for the midrange bluesy overdrive through to plexi style high gain. The SLO is WAY out of my price range. The only reason I was looking at a 1959SLP or a JCM800 was because I can get them used for around $1000-$1200. I was going to have it modded with a power attenuator anyway, so volume is not really my concern it's more of how the amp sounds.

I like the MK50... I think. I've never been able to play one. I was also looking at the Victory amps V50 but I don't know. I need something for that Duane Allman/Warren Haynes/Derek Trucks/Guthrie Govan/Frank Gambale territory right up to Slash and VH ground. So, with price in mind and an assumed power attenuator, I figured a 1959 or an 800 were the best choice.

What's really important to me in an amp is that it's honest and doesn't hide what I do. I like them to respond very dynamically.

Thanks!