I'm kinda new to the whole amp modification idea and was wondering if anyone could tell me if the speaker I'm planning on buying is compatible with the amp I have because my knowledge of this kind of stuff is limited.

I know that impedance needs to be matched to 8ohms at the back of the amp but apart from that I don't know what other things need to fit the amp

The amp is a Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo and these are the specs:

Output: 60 watts
Impedance: 4/8/6 swappable

The speaker is a Celestion G12K-100:

Impedance: 8ohms
Power: 100 watts

I suppose the only thing I'm not sure about is the fact the amp is 60 watts and the speaker is 100 watts. Is this a problem?

Thanks,
Miles.

Edit: I won't be pushing the amp too hard. At the very most the volume with be at '4/5' but I normally have it between just below '2' or just above it.
Last edited by MilesJeffery at Nov 26, 2013,
It will work just fine, make sure you switch the amp to the correct impedance

If you like the speaker or not is the question
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yep, just switch the amp's impedance to 8 and you'll be good. I'd be very interested in hearing your results.

I recently purchased an Eminence Swamp Thang which might be Eminence's most similar speaker to the G12K-100. However, I'm running it in a 412 cab with an Eminence Governor and a couple old Celestions. As soon as I added the Swamp Thang, the sound got a lot thicker and heavier. Whereas, the other three speakers are more upper-mid oriented so it still has plenty of cut. So far I really like it!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Oh god that's a great combo. I have 2 G12K100's in my 5150 2x12 and it's just fantastic! Smooth high end, fat lowed, just sounds huge!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Eminence Legend V12 is an amazing choice for the 6505 too. For such a great speaker they are priced pretty inexpensively (probably half a new G12K).

I dig G12K's.

I A/B compared G12K/V30 and Swamp/Governor in two identical cabs recently. They were both awesome. The Celestion pair had a little bit more of that paper sound and probably a dash more detail on the high end, the Eminence pair was a lot cleaner (no speaker breakup at all), deeper from the Swamp, and a bit louder.
Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm getting the speaker as a Christmas gift this year so if you do want to know how it sounds I'll post back here, if I remember.