I have a cab that has a 4ohm and 16 ohm input, My friend is selling his cab that only has a 8ohm input, can i use these both at the same time?

my amp has selectable impedance

thanks
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

My band: www.facebook.com/deifieduk
(actually called Deified)
what are the cabs and what speakers do they have?

you're talking about your bugera 333 for the amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is this new cab a 2x12?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Its a home made 212 with 4 and 16 ohm inputs, and a harley benton 1x12 which is 8 ohm
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

Not sure I follow what is going on with the 2x12 cab. You really should take the back off and determine the ohms of the speakers and how they are wired. Based on what you are saying you have a 2x12 cab that has 8 ohm speakers. Those speakers are then wired for both 'Series' and 'Parallel' operation. 2 - 8 ohm speakers wired in series gives you a 16 ohm load total. 2 - 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel gives you a 4 ohm load total. That is the only thing I can think of. If that is true, then you could technically rewire the 2x12 to just use 1 - 8 ohm speaker and then you could use the other cab as well. Doing this would give the amp a 4 ohm load total.

Not sure all of this would make sense.

If your amp had a really beefy output transformer you could probably mix what you have as is but I don't think I'd risk it. Your best bet is that if you want to run two cabs then find another 16 ohm cab and then set your 2x12 to 16 and your amp will see a 8 ohm load total.

Does all of that make sense?

this has not answered my question. One cab is 4ohm the other is 8ohm can i use them both together that is the question nothing to do with series or parallel
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

If you run the 2x12 at 16 ohm together with the 8 ohm cab you will get 5 ohms total. If you then switch your amp to 4 it will work ok.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by peavey6505+user
this has not answered my question. One cab is 4ohm the other is 8ohm can i use them both together that is the question nothing to do with series or parallel

in the most ideal sense you'd want the speakers nominal impedance rating to match the impedance of the amp output.

with the speakers you listed that will not be possible, so you will not be able to achieve the ideal situation.

but:
Quote by Cathbard
If you run the 2x12 at 16 ohm together with the 8 ohm cab you will get 5 ohms total. If you then switch your amp to 4 it will work ok.

this is an unideal setup that will work just fine.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Not sure I follow what is going on with the 2x12 cab. You really should take the back off and determine the ohms of the speakers and how they are wired. Based on what you are saying you have a 2x12 cab that has 8 ohm speakers. Those speakers are then wired for both 'Series' and 'Parallel' operation...

I'm not all that great with the tech stuff, but wouldn't this require some sort of switch to change between the two different circuts? Seems like his cab just had the two seperate inputs, but maybe he just left out some details.
Quote by peavey6505+user

OK Jack ass. I did answer your question in Post #3.

Then, I went out of my way to show you a way to safely run both of your cabs together. That was somewhat difficult due to the lack of information in this thread, so I had to make some assumptions.

zl1288 - it can be either seperate jacks or a switch
Quote by gumbilicious
this is an unideal setup that will work just fine.

How ideal it is would depend on the relative sensitivity of the speakers. All speakers being equal, the 1x12 will be working twice as hard as each speaker in the 2x12. If the 1x12 is 3dB less sensitive then it will all balance out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
How ideal it is would depend on the relative sensitivity of the speakers. All speakers being equal, the 1x12 will be working twice as hard as each speaker in the 2x12. If the 1x12 is 3dB less sensitive then it will all balance out.

i was mainly claiming it as 'unideal' because of the small impedance mismatch. personally, i'd run that mismatch without any worries.

but i was thinking about that same technical detail you are posting about, but i came to another conclusion:

the 2x12 is 4/16 ohm, meaning it has 8 ohm speakers in it. the 1x12 has also has an 8 ohm speaker in it. wouldn't this mean that power is equally distributed across all the speakers?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 3, 2013,
An impedance mismatch of 4:5 in that direction would cause no problems whatsoever.

It would balance if the 2x12 was run at 4 ohm (effectively putting all three speakers in parallel) but that would drop the total impedance to 2.6 ohm. Running the 2x12 at 16 means that they are in series so the voltage is split between them. So V across the 1x12 and V/2 for each speaker in the 2x12.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification