So i have an S-S-S strat, i dont know if this is because of the pickup or just an amp setting... how do i achieved this kind of sound?

I don't listen to Jrock that much, but this one is the bestest () example i saw,

i want something like this:

(0:42 - 0:50)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GtAjY7WMYW4

do you hear that? i dont know what term to use, oomph?
this one uses and SG and has humbuckers... at first i thought it just because of that

but this one uses a telecaster with single coils, so it just break my theory that singles can't do this...

(0:50 - 1:0) it's more emphasized near (1:01 - 1:02)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LipEPV89S4Q

Should i just add a baseplate to my pickup? I searched the google and found out that adding baseplate to strat somewhat bass boosting it and sound similar to tele.
what amp are you using?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
a homemade one... TDA2003 with fetzer valve at input, but i tend to use amp sims always on my computer... LePou's stuffs and RedWirez cab impulses.
mmmm

yeah i dunno.

normally i'd say valves help but i dunno what your homemade amp is like I'd strongly suspect (having not tried it myself) that adding a baseplate is only likely to make a fairly subtle difference, if the rest of your gear is right you might not need it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
btw, what term is used for that sound im looking for?

so i can easily on another forums...
it just sounds like valve-type distortion to me. i could be wrong, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You mean that palm muted sound? You just need enough gain. I didn't hear anything uncommon in either of the parts but I guess you were talking about that chug chug sound. It's palm muting with lots of gain.

Oh, and you may want to turn up the bass control a bit.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 27, 2013,
why is it just sound like moderate gain? he (the crossdresser) sound well-defined when playing the chordS? or is it just me with a stupid ears?

anyway, i just cant do it on my axe... so it's just the gain? coz when i increase my gain it just dirtying it up... going farther from that sound, sound like a fuzz? very dirty! or maybe it's just because im using solid state amp, and it gets fuzzy!
Last edited by xxRock_Onxx at Nov 27, 2013,
My guess would be high-output PUs and not so much gain.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
There's a chorus pedal on, though subtle throughout the tone.

Cant believe this is not mentioned yet. Especiallt at 042 it's very noticeable.

Also at 4 minutes past it's horrible out of key.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 27, 2013,
Quote by xxRock_Onxx
why is it just sound like moderate gain? he (the crossdresser) sound well-defined when playing the chordS? or is it just me with a stupid ears?

anyway, i just cant do it on my axe... so it's just the gain? coz when i increase my gain it just dirtying it up... going farther from that sound, sound like a fuzz? very dirty! or maybe it's just because im using solid state amp, and it gets fuzzy!

But was it that "chug chug" sound that you were after? And do you know how to palm mute (I of course assume you can)?

But yeah, I'm not sure if your amp can do it. Not all amps are good for chugging sounds. Same with the guitar - you may want humbuckers.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
No he's not out of key, the song change in key and therefore he did also...

yeah I'm after that chug chug, how about in the second vid? it use tele singles but has an acceptable amount of chug i'm dying for,

and this one too! it only use tele single but it has the chug I'm after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYi22B5Hwpc

it just really break my doubt that singles can't do this kind of sound
hmm, most of you is saying it's a valve type distortion, what do you think guys? is that because of distortion type or pickup or what?

maybe the chug on the new link i posted is a "little thin" but my guitar can't just do it
Quote by xxRock_Onxx
No he's not out of key, the song change in key and therefore he did also...

yeah I'm after that chug chug, how about in the second vid? it use tele singles but has an acceptable amount of chug i'm dying for,

and this one too! it only use tele single but it has the chug I'm after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYi22B5Hwpc

it just really break my doubt that singles can't do this kind of sound
hmm, most of you is saying it's a valve type distortion, what do you think guys? is that because of distortion type or pickup or what?

maybe the chug on the new link i posted is a "little thin" but my guitar can't just do it

He did play out of key at the 4 minute mark, but If you want to bet money on it or something, I could use some.

I can pm you my IBAN

And it's a typical HB sound.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 28, 2013,
Quote by xxRock_Onxx
hahaha, never mind. My ears are just stupid to some kind of stuffs.

no problem.

The thing is the key changes and that is actually the problem.

He plays the exact same riff/lick (thunderstruck open b string kind of riff)

but the key has changed 2 semitones up.

If he played that same riff then, but with a capo on the 2nd fret it would be perfect, now it's 2 semitones too low.

It's weird, cause his improvisation after that riff (4:20) does perfectly follow the new key most people either hear it or don't, but not 50/50.

Anyways. Humbuckers--->overdrive--->chorus with low rate and depth setting = the sound.

And optional wah in places offcourse.

EDIT:

^^ those are for that first japanese video.

In the band video, it's obvious you want that mid gain Marshall/humbucker combo sound. A classic (pop guitar) staple

It works almost as well with a single coil guitar, because an amp is 70% (arbitrary) part of the sound anyway.

Yes a valve amp it is to get that kind of choppy/thumpiness. More specific, British voiced a VOX would work as well.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Hmm, okay i get it. Humbucker + Marshall combo.

I almost forgot that i have single coils hahahaha... how stupid, how can i do it with singles? pickup wiring mod? series? or clean boost to emulate high output? roll down tone knob? midbooster? overdrives? lpb-1?
Quote by xxRock_Onxx
Hmm, okay i get it. Humbucker + Marshall combo.

I almost forgot that i have single coils hahahaha... how stupid, how can i do it with singles? pickup wiring mod? series? or clean boost to emulate high output? roll down tone knob? midbooster? overdrives? lpb-1?

Well, as far as I know it's just the way how palm mutes sound with a british moderate gain level

Single coils sound fairly the same, just a bit thinner.

You must understand that palm mutes by nature cut off most of the high overtones and harmonic content, as such it's more about the way the "choppy" sounds gets compressed.

This is why pickups do not have that big of change in this particular setting/technique. Most character lies in the saturation, and this is where single coils and humbuckers differ the most. Though there are also a lot of people that do value this difference as essential, which I also sometimes am part of depending on the song and what not.

Using a boost thickens it, but it does more so in the decay and sustain. You get a radically different attack, with often a drop in the low frequencies. This is what you DO NOT want for this sound.

It depends really in how much you feel you need.

All I can say is test out a strat through a british amp and turn the gain up until the tone feels "smooth", then turn it a bit back again, and palm mute, then try it with a humbucker guitar to notice the difference.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
You're a knowledgeable guy... I'm just a cheap bedroom player with nothing and no friend/relative with same interest as me about this kind of stuff.

I think I'm the only one who is dreaming of having a music career in our family.

I'm a Pop Punk guy, you know -- All time low, Blink182, Fall Out Boy, Mayday Parade, Boys Like Girls.

I think i should change my pickups to a humbucker or atleast something like hot rail.. as those bands i mentioned above has no single coils... I hate the fact that the bands I adore don't use single coils.

Single coils are more alive, they are just trebly but you can roll of the tone.

Maybe they don't like how it looks, sound, and the feel, and the output, and that chug chug I'm looking for. hahaha stupid conclusion.

Whaddya think sir? is that reasonable?
Last edited by xxRock_Onxx at Nov 28, 2013,
i'd have said an od used as a boost would probably help. assuming you're using a valve amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm, ok, let's see. After building my amp, building pedals is next on my check list.

I'm considering these:

Fulltone OCD
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Boss DS1
Fuzz Face
MXR distortion+
MI audio Crunchbox
Diy circuit named "Howie's Metal Simplex"

Demo here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxdIpZL9Qd0

Which one here? I have LPB-1, just sayin' it might help...
Last edited by xxRock_Onxx at Nov 29, 2013,
In response to your previous post.

Maybe make a superstrat. They have been, and are becoming more popular to make.

Not necesarily it being a strat but the pickup configuration.

Humbucker at the bridge, but leave the neck and the middle as single coils.

For just the chug, you only need a bridge humbucker, and you can still have nice neck cleans.

If this is your descision, you should make a new thread asking for what humbucker would be best, and use the sticky forum template. I feel I'm not knowledgable enough to give advice on which pickup would best for you.

Also, adding a boost pedal in front, give you tighter palm mutes, but focused in the mids.

This "classic" palm mute sound, comes from a fairly even and transparent EQ which isined by naturally driving a british amp circuit.

There are OD pedals that can give you even EQ, but you will need one thing more, when the sound should be achievable from just a (correct) amp.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 29, 2013,
oh yeah sure, I'm willing to sacrifice one of my pickup configuration since i don't use all of them... maybe the mid? cause i lowered it down to hell (Lol) to get most of the quack out of my strat... (cause the guide says lower it until i find the most quack, and the quack is f*ckin right there)

followed this one: https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13846.0

but i turn it just a tad higher :wink:

so now my mid is useless (not totally useless, i use it for cleans)

so maybe i'll just turn the position 3 to series humbucker mode... The question now is which one is better? Neck + Bridge or Mid + Bridge?

I'm saving money and I would add that if someone would ever give me money on christmas to buy GFS hot rail. It's much cheaper than SDs and strat-talk says it's much better although someone suggested to use lil killer, jb jr, etc...

How about crunchbox? isn't it a "Marshall in a box"?
yeah the crunchbox would probably be the best out of those you listed (caveat being i haven't tried that diy one you mentioned).

the fuzz face is the easiest circuit, though, if you want some practice at building. Or the lpb-1 (i'm not sure if you meant you were thinking of building it or if you already have one).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have one LPB-1, it's the most easiest but well-known circuit. I never thought that a simple pedal that cost a little will be known for everybody cost more hahaha

try making one sir, you wont regret having one