My amp has recently started making this scratchy sound, especially when I'm using a lot of volume. Even when there's no guitar connected it makes this sound. The scratchy sound stops when I lower my volume to 0. I have no idea what this sound is.

Help please!
dodgy pots? tubes? would ber my guess
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Could it be the tubes? I bought this amp like 6 months ago, and I handle it always very carefully. I can't remember does this happen on the clean channel too though, so I'm going to have to try that tomorrow(and get more specific info), since my amp is at my bands rehearsal space. I guess I'll just take it to the local music store where I bought it from, it still has 6 months of warranty left.
It could the tubes. It could be a pot. It could a dirty jack/insert.

You can clean insert jacks with Dioxit contact cleaner.

You can turn all the knobs and see if you can detect any scratchiness.

You can clean tube sockets with Dioxit contact cleaner. Sometimes just pulling and reseating tubes can do wonders.

You can also check your tubes for microphonics like this:
http://s545.photobucket.com/user/buckethead_311/media/Amp%20stuff/Microphonicpreamptube.mp4.html

Usually, when we associate scratchiness and tubes together we are taking about preamp tubes (the smaller ones).
1. Check pots (guitar and amp) by rotating on and off.

2. Try different cables

3.Try rotating a new (or known good) preamp tube through the tube slots. It could be a micro-phonic preamp tube. That would also make more sense if its just happing on your gain channel. But check the others first to make sure its not something stupid.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
I took it to the local music store and I left it there for a couple of days. One of the tubes was broken, so they changed it. Now it works just fine.

Thanks for the help anyways.
Quote by CriticalMass
I took it to the local music store and I left it there for a couple of days. One of the tubes was broken, so they changed it. Now it works just fine.

Thanks for the help anyways.

What do you mean by anyways? Nearly everyone that posted said it could be tubes.

By the "anyways" it would seem you aren't happy with the suggestions and that you had to take it into a store because you didn't have a spare tube laying around to test out.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
What do you mean by anyways? Nearly everyone that posted said it could be tubes.

By the "anyways" it would seem you aren't happy with the suggestions and that you had to take it into a store because you didn't have a spare tube laying around to test out.

Or you could read it as even though he had some help on here he ended up taking it to a shop to fix and didn't get to do any suggestions mentioned. But he still appreciated the replies, and said thanks anyways.
It cost nothing, only the price of a new tube, 13€ if I remember correctly.
Sorry for causing confusion, English is not my first language.